Baboons?

Cape_Guy

We had a hairy encounter at this cache

We did have pepperspray and a stick. I must say I would never have ventured closer if it weren't for braver company. They did keep their distance, and we were not between groups of them. We went to Cape Point the other weekend - the southern penisula is really full of them (the long and short-tailed variety, but I was surprised at how many of the long-tailed variety there are).

639765b7-3465-439e-b9ab-1ce766fb4106.jpg

Edited by the pooks

I was attacked twice while checking on my cache, Crystal Pools.

The first time I was in a very thin path with trees on either side, and as I rounded a corner, I thought, Goodness, thatsa huge dog coming towards me! When I relised it wasa babon, I stood on the edge of the path and faced the bushes, hoping he would go. The next minute my backpack was being ripped open on my back and my pie stolen. Next thing, 4 of the largest males in the clan came storming down the hill at top speed right at us, and we tried to escape into the thick bush. I now had my backpack in front of me, and I was digging through it getting my car keys and phone tec, while a baboon was going through it looking for snacks!

I found a sandwhich and threw it, so that baboon chased after it, while my friend smacked the ground with big sticks to scare them away. Needless to say, we decided not to check on the cache, and the one baboon trailed us back to the car for 10 minutes, with us lobbing a stone at it every now and then!

Quite an experience for my Argentinian friend and his girlfriend, who was most distraught.

The next time I came prepared. When the baboon came, we were on a larger path, so standing to the side worked, and the baboon walked right past me and sidekick Steve, and started grabbing at poor Corrine's bag. I executed a spectacular leap, and gave that bugger a good old spray over Corrines shoulder. He scarpered, but came right back and sat on a rock staring at us in a puzzled way. Having vanquished the beast this time, we continued on the hike, and met up with 2 rangers, who themselves had been surrounded by the baboons earlier on.

Poor Corrine semed to have got a slight scratch on her back from the baboon, and the pepper spray in the wound was apparently quite painful!!

Now, if you want to explore baboon infested territory, I suggest you take Chicken along. He's no chicken when it comes to baboons, and will stand ground and bark threateningly at them, pepper spray held high!

Spoke to someone today who claims to know and apparently pepper spray has no effect on baboons and dogs ... especially when they attack!

According to him:

• Don't run!
  • Loud noise will keep them at a distance
  • Throw stones at them

The above is definitely not good enough for me! I'm not only scared of baboons but dogs too ... so there goes my confidence with my pepper spray in my hand near dogs! I guess I'm more of a chicken than Chicken!

<_<<_<

Edited by Cape_Guy

be glad you are not in the North American wilds

If accosted by a bear, and you climb a tree, the grizzly bear cant climb well, so you'll be safe. if its a black bear, he will come and chomp your butt off.

If you play dead, the black bear will sniff you and go away. the grizzly bear will think "wicked, free lunch!"

If you walk along making lound sounds, you will scare any black bears off. However, you will piss the grizzly bears off and they will come to shut you up one time!

So if you can't tell your bears apart, you are in trouble!

And if accosted by a black bear/grizzly bear tag team, you are in big trouble!

I think I'll rather stay away if I spot them soon enough ... AND ... carry a ketty & marbles for an emergency ...

:):)

I give up, what's a Kettie & Albasters?

Kettie is Afrikaans for a "catapult", a stick in the form of a "V" with two elastic rubber and a piece of leather - could qualify as a cultural weapon in South Africa. Used to shoot (sling?) stones.

Albasters are glass marbles, the best ammo for a kettie, as stones with their uneven surfaces do not ahve a predictable flight path. Expert kettie shottists can kill a bird at 30m I'd say.

[

Kettie is Afrikaans for a "catapult", a stick in the form of a "V" with two elastic rubber and a piece of leather - could qualify as a cultural weapon in South Africa. Used to shoot (sling?) stones.

Albasters are glass marbles, the best ammo for a kettie, as stones with their uneven surfaces do not ahve a predictable flight path. Expert kettie shottists can kill a bird at 30m I'd say.

Ahh... What we call a slingshot.

We were harassed by baboons at Cape Point and in frustation, while they went through all our bags for food, my buddy lifted his fishing-rod to his shoulder as if it was a gun and they scattered in seconds never to be seen again. Obviously they have been culled on a regular basis and have learned to associate the rifle with death.

Many years ago :laughing: when i used to go to cape point with my dad we used to use 2 things which baboons are terrified of, and thats 1. Snakes - So have a rubber snake with you, if you thow it anywhere near them they run like hell... - 2. Loud Bangs - WE used to carry cap guns with us, one shot in the air and they run like hell never to be seen again, cap guns used to be a lot louder years ago, haven't owned one in quite some time, but think todays cap guns are not as loud as they used to be - So if you can get hold of a decent cap gun, should work pretty well... Unless baboons have evolved since then... :lol:

How do you make the baboons notice the skats? How do you get the Lion to deposit skats in baggie? :)

Step 1: Go to zoo

Step 2: Request Lion Poop at front gate (you will be ushered through a side door and await for the arrival of head of predatory mammals)

Step 3: Request price and availability

You will be surprised to discover that it is "free". You are asked to wait a few moments and notice that there is a strange glint in the zookeepers eyes. As you sip on your lovely glass of cold beer (another unexpected gift from the zookeeper) and eye the biltong and various other nibbles, you hear the usual unintelligible talk over the staff radios.

As you finish your ice cold, most refreshing, beer, the zookeeper returns and requests you to follow him. You're amazed at the behind the scenes network of passages and alleys and realise you are getting a little seen view of zoo life and find the zookeeper most informative as he describes the workings and the interesting array of animals that are kept and not necessarily on public display.

Soon you stop at a door which has a number of names displayed next to it ...the rest is a blur, perhaps just the beer and being overwhelmed with information.

The loud click brings you back to your senses. Looking down, you notice that in your left hand is a poop-scoop, much like the plastic kind you get in a pet shop, just a tad larger. In your right is a zip-loc bag, much like you would find in a cache, only larger.

Above you, you notice a crowd of 50 odd people behind bars wearing zoo uniforms. They all have that same glint in their eye... perhaps something in the canteen meals. Ahead of you is what appears to be a vast caged in arena, reminiscent of the colosseum.... In the middle lies "Simba" licking what appears to be blood from his paws....

How you get it in the "sakkie", is a matter of speed, agility, and perhaps a commanding voice. I don't know if Auntie Barbara's "SIT!" will work, but at this stage you will need to try everything.

Let us know how it goes....

The other option is the phone the zoo. And ask if they don't mind bagging some for you when they clean the cages. The case my friend mentioned wasn't out caching. But having a problem with baboons in her own garden. She placed the poop at the baboons favorite pathway and they never came back. How to use it when out caching? I guess then we are back to the old faithfull kettie.