Considering the Magellan Triton 2000

Hi

I have mixed feelings about upgrading to the Triton 2000. I have been purely Garmin with my previous GPS units and have a few concerns based on user reviews on this GPSr. These reviews were quite early in the product life and reported the following problems:

- GPSr hangs regularly

- Poor battery life

- lack of decent maps

Have these issues been resolved yet?

As well as this I have a few questions regarding where to purchase the unit. I am a UK resident and the Triton 2000 has not been released here yet (due end of April). I am looking at purchasing a US unit as this will save me a lot of money, however I am not sure if the base maps are hard coded and if there is anything else I need to consider when I purchase a US version of this product for use in the UK.

I would also like to take a look at what the maps look like for the UK and Europe. Is there anywhere I can see what they look like?

Please could somebody help me with these questions, as I am itching to place an order but do not want to make an International purchase only to find I have got myself a lemon.

thanks

Chris

- GPSr hangs regularly

- Poor battery life

- lack of decent maps

Answers:

Yes somewhat,

No

Definitely No.

The Triton's are still really a beta unit in my opinion.

The Triton 2000 is a very expensive unit. It's also a huge learning curve to use.

According to their own website at http://www.magellangps.com/products/software.asp

they don't even offer European maps except for Germany and Norway at this time, you'll have to get an older version of Mapsend. Then you'll have to hope it imports into the Triton okay.

I own the Triton 500 and the only thing I recommend it for is geocaching , any other use, get a Garmin right now.

I would also recommend going to Triton Forum and asking questions in the T-1500 & T-2000 subforum there

Thanks for the pointer. After reading up on this a bit further I am totally discouraged from buying one. I think the Garmin Colorado 300 looks like a better option for me although I sort of liked the idea of linking photos to waypoints which was one of the things the Triton 2000 does (allegedly!).

I think when the Triton product range matures and they fix the bugs and get some maps it will be a great GPSr, but in it's current product life cycle it's not an option for me.

thanks

Chris