5/5 Events?

I agree with the two posts above me. It easily fits the requirements for a 5-star terrain, but there is no way it meets the requirements for a 5-star difficulty. There are several double-5's around here that are accessible from a canoe, but the difficulty should really be 1.5-2.5.

I would agree too. It's not hard to find. But I still wish I could be there.

(On a side-note, I always have a problem understanding why many caches have a 5-star terrain rating. If it not life-threatening to get the cache it shouldn't be a 5. Of course that is just my opinion. And this is coming from a guy who got paid to jump out of plane and helicopters while others were trying to shoot him and thinks that Naked into the Wilderness should be required reading for all middle school students. So please consider the source.)

(On a side-note, I always have a problem understanding why many caches have a 5-star terrain rating. If it not life-threatening to get the cache it shouldn't be a 5. Of course that is just my opinion. And this is coming from a guy who got paid to jump out of plane and helicopters while others were trying to shoot him and thinks that Naked into the Wilderness should be required reading for all middle school students. So please consider the source.)

Just for the newbies here... The cache ratings system says that any cache that requires specialized equipment (climbing gear, boats, SCUBA Gear, helicoptors etc.) qualifies as a 5-star terrain.

I think what Totem Clan is looking for could be classified as a 6-star terrain :drama: !

You gotta love a good challenge!

DCC

Edited by Driver Carries Cache

Your event rates as 1/5 using Clayjar http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/

1/5 events are pretty common in Florida.

To be a 5 difficulty, locating the venue would need to be very very difficult, or maybe everybody would be required to speak Tamarian (Prime suggested Esperanto - but I think that would only raise the difficulty to 4 or maybe, at stretch 4.5). :D

I think everyone should be required to communicate only through writing Egyptian Hieroglyphics. :drama:

:drama:

I would love to be there, but there is no way I could this year.

Is this going to be an annual type of event? Maybe? Please! :D That way I can plan for it next time.

Assuming we survive this adventure we may try something similar next year. I suspect we will pick another location. A few other locations come to mind, Isle Royal National park, South Manitou Islands, Or perhaps Nordhouse dunes.

I'm thinking of making an event to go out to Pie Island up by Thunder Bay to get the cache that has never been found, placed back in 2002.

It would classify a 5 star terrain event, and probably a 3 or 4 star difficulty, due to the extreme nature of the hike to the actual location. A 5/5 event would be crazy!

Sounds like a neat idea though. (:

How about an event cache in Geographic Harbor that requires you to bring a fresh bear caught salmon as a ALR.

Would that be a 5/5? :drama:

Seriously though I'd love to attend some primitive/back country events. They sound fun. Even better if there are some back country caches in the area.

How easy is it to find the cache? [PICK ONE]

1. Cache is in plain sight or location is fairly obvious.

2. Cache could be in one of several locations. Hunter may have to look for a while.

3. Cache may be very well hidden, may be multi-leg, or may use clues to location.

4. Cache likely requires special skills, knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days

or trips to find.

5. Finding this cache requires very specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment. This is a serious mental or physical challenge.

The Clayjar rating system (availible at http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/) has 7 questions that determine the difficulty/terrain rating for your cache listing.

The terrain rating is calculated based on the answers to the first 6 questions and The difficulty rating for your cache is completely dependent on the last question (see above) and we believed the BEST answer to this question is answer number 5.

However if we have mis-interpreted the rating system I think we may consider some of the ideas posted to keep our level 5 difficulty.

this one made me laugh :drama::D:D

I think everyone should be required to communicate only through writing Egyptian Hieroglyphics
5. Finding this cache requires very specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment. This is a serious mental or physical challenge.

Personally, I don't see many events that are more than a 1* difficulty. Since everyone is meeting at the boat dock at the proscribed time, it's 1* IMHO. Further, I might say the event isn't even 5* terrain as there is a boat provided. I guess you could say the need for camping gear could make it 5* terrain though...

(On a side-note, I always have a problem understanding why many caches have a 5-star terrain rating. If it not life-threatening to get the cache it shouldn't be a 5. Of course that is just my opinion.

Others explained it well, 5* terrain is based on the need for equipment, not a hardness factor. If you want hard, you should be looking at 4.5* terrain, they are usually much harder than the average 5*.

(On a side-note, I always have a problem understanding why many caches have a 5-star terrain rating. If it not life-threatening to get the cache it shouldn't be a 5. Of course that is just my opinion.

Others explained it well, 5* terrain is based on the need for equipment, not a hardness factor. If you want hard, you should be looking at 4.5* terrain, they are usually much harder than the average 5*.

Trust me I understand that, and have no problem with it because it is the understood and agreed upon method. I am by no means asking for a change. I'm just musing about what I like more than anything. :drama::D

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :D

One thing that should not be overlooked is that the event is 9:30am on a Sunday morning. The ferry only comes to the island once a day. (WITH NO LAYOVER)

So attendees will need to arrive Saturday (or earlier in the week) then camp out for 21.5 hours (min.) until the event begins on Sunday Morning. During that time they will need to setup their own shelter, Secure a drinkable water supply (purify if necessary). They will need to prepare meals using only the supplies they brought with them. It is also recommended that attendees bring several days of extra food with them in case weather keeps the ferry from being able to sail. If you wander far from the rangers station you may find your self digging your own latrine as there is only 1 pit toilet in this 15,000 acre wilderness.

In other words you cannot just jump off the boat and walk up to this event.

That is how we justify our answer to the last question on the clay jar system

How easy is it to find the cache?

BEST ANSWER: Finding this cache requires very specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment. This is a serious mental or physical challenge.

I can see how having to camp for a couple of days would increase the difficulty of the event quite a bit.

But...

Maybe I'm wildly underestimating Michigan climate, but how does camping on an Island in Michigan in July require specialized knowledge.

Now, if it was Ellesmere island in January, that would be difficulty 5... specialized knowledge is required for that kind of camping! :drama:

Personally, I don't see many events that are more than a 1* difficulty. Since everyone is meeting at the boat dock at the proscribed time, it's 1* IMHO. Further, I might say the event isn't even 5* terrain as there is a boat provided. I guess you could say the need for camping gear could make it 5* terrain though...

The only way I can see an event being more than a 1 or 1.5 difficulty is if there is some puzzle involved to obtain the coordinates. That or all the attendees wear camo and hide as the next guests arrive.

Here's an example of a relatively challenging event cache (in terms of accessibility):

Breakfast in Caines Head (Event, south of Seward AK, just outside Kenai Fjords National Park)

It's a 13-mile round-trip hike, which will commence from Seward AK at 4am to catch the low tide (enabling a beach transit around rock headlands). You're stuck on Caines Head until the next low tide about twelve hours later. As of right now, the average snow depth in Seward & sea-level environs is 48" (it's been a record-setting snowy/cold spring here...). Adding to the delight - the trail is considered by the State Park authorities to be ''washed out/destroyed" due to late fall heavy rains/flooding, and the one waist-deep glacial stream crossing will be done 'wet' since the footbridge is reported as destroyed by the same flooding. If I attend (perhaps a 1 in 20 chance) it will be thanks to a weather forecast which would allow me to run an 18' open skiff along the shoreline to the last 'beach' (a band of pounded rock ranging in size from 'fist' to 'truck'). A cool place to visit (the map on the event cache page shows it's in the open ocean...) thanks to the awesome scenery & WWII history onsite, but challenging to access in the best of weather. Frankly, I think this is one of those that should be a 4.5 terrain rating. It's rated as a 1/4 by its sponsor, who's quite capable of leading a physically-fit group to and from the site, but it's not going to be 'a walk in the park' by any means!. More likely it'll be a rain-drenched wind-lashed scramble across icy/snow-laden terrain; and those who didn't go will feel as if they should twist Shakespeare's Henry V speech thusly:

And gentlemen in Alaska now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That hiked with us upon Caine's Head day.

(Yeah - or they'll thank their lucky stars they had the sense to stay home! LOL)

I visited North Manitou Island in my undergrad days at Central Michigan University.

Nice ferry ride & great facilities on the island - an awesome place for an event cache!

Here's an example of a relatively challenging event cache (in terms of accessibility):

Breakfast in Caines Head (Event, south of Seward AK, just outside Kenai Fjords National Park)

It's a 13-mile round-trip hike, which will commence from Seward AK at 4am to catch the low tide (enabling a beach transit around rock headlands). You're stuck on Caines Head until the next low tide about twelve hours later. As of right now, the average snow depth in Seward & sea-level environs is 48" (it's been a record-setting snowy/cold spring here...). Adding to the delight - the trail is considered by the State Park authorities to be ''washed out/destroyed" due to late fall heavy rains/flooding, and the one waist-deep glacial stream crossing will be done 'wet' since the footbridge is reported as destroyed by the same flooding. If I attend (perhaps a 1 in 20 chance) it will be thanks to a weather forecast which would allow me to run an 18' open skiff along the shoreline to the last 'beach' (a band of pounded rock ranging in size from 'fist' to 'truck'). A cool place to visit (the map on the event cache page shows it's in the open ocean...) thanks to the awesome scenery & WWII history onsite, but challenging to access in the best of weather. Frankly, I think this is one of those that should be a 4.5 terrain rating. It's rated as a 1/4 by its sponsor, who's quite capable of leading a physically-fit group to and from the site, but it's not going to be 'a walk in the park' by any means!. More likely it'll be a rain-drenched wind-lashed scramble across icy/snow-laden terrain; and those who didn't go will feel as if they should twist Shakespeare's Henry V speech thusly:

And gentlemen in Alaska now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That hiked with us upon Caine's Head day.

(Yeah - or they'll thank their lucky stars they had the sense to stay home! LOL)

I visited North Manitou Island in my undergrad days at Central Michigan University.

Nice ferry ride & great facilities on the island - an awesome place for an event cache!

:D

Oh sure! Go ahead, NorthWes! Torment me now! :drama:

Man do I want to move back to Alaska! :D

Events arent caches.

You shouldn't be able to log them as caches.

They shouldn't have terrain and difficulty ratings.

You don't log them as caches. You log an "attended".

And why not have terrain and difficulty ratings? Shouldn't people know what they are getting into? There was an event in my area a few weeks ago that required a 6 mile RT hike over some pretty difficult terrain to get to the event location.

One thing that should not be overlooked is that the event is 9:30am on a Sunday morning. The ferry only comes to the island once a day. (WITH NO LAYOVER)

So attendees will need to arrive Saturday (or earlier in the week) then camp out for 21.5 hours (min.) until the event begins on Sunday Morning. During that time they will need to setup their own shelter, Secure a drinkable water supply (purify if necessary). They will need to prepare meals using only the supplies they brought with them. It is also recommended that attendees bring several days of extra food with them in case weather keeps the ferry from being able to sail. If you wander far from the rangers station you may find your self digging your own latrine as there is only 1 pit toilet in this 15,000 acre wilderness.

That is how we justify our answer to the last question on the clay jar system

How easy is it to find the cache?

BEST ANSWER: Finding this cache requires very specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment. This is a serious mental or physical challenge.

Those are all still Terrain issues. The Difficulty question (if it's not a puzzle) only comes into play once you reach ground zero and start looking for the cache. Still sounds like a 1 to me.

I'm agreeing with Prime on this. Terrain rating is how hard is it to get to Ground Zero - difficulty is how hard is it to find the thing once you're at Ground Zero. TheFederation hosted some events with bogus coords. You really had to dig for the actual event location. And you really couldn't cheat either (call somebody already there) because there's no cell coverage. Legit 2.5 or 3 difficulty on locating them.

Will your event cache have a logbook? You could hide it somewhere on the island in a place that is a 5-star difficulty to find, and only those who manage to find it and sign it get to claim it?

I attended an event last month which required signing a log book in order to log the event as attended. The logbook was located at the final stage of a 7 stage multi. Not difficulty 5, but not 1 either.

I would love to do this one! This would be a breeze compared to week long backpacking trips in Algonquin Park which we used to do almost every year..... until MsKitty had back surgery ..... now she can't sleep on the ground any more :P

Sounds like a real good time!

Events arent caches.

You shouldn't be able to log them as caches.

They shouldn't have terrain and difficulty ratings.

You don't log them as caches. You log an "attended".

Nope. I log them with a note. If you log them as "attended" it still counts as a find according to your numbers. This is why so many log them over and over again. How can you find an event?

A boat makes it a five. You need special equipment to get there.

I hosted a 5/5 event cache this winter.

Moons over my hammy! (GC18AWD)

It was a 5/5 cache that involved hiking up a mountain in the middle of the winter at night to see a full moon.

Due to the event being at the peak, and not in the parking lot you needed special equipment to find the "cache" which you needed head lamps, crampons and snow shoes. You could also not climb the mountain without them, so terrain and difficulty were both 5's using the cache rating systme.

Look at the posted pics on the event page. It was an amazing time for all!