Am I doing this right?

pl1114

Hi, we are new to geocaching and I'm not sure we're doing it right. We have the eTrex Venture HC. I am able to download the cache locations onto my GPS using the web site and the EasyGPS software. Then we choose the geocache we want to search for and start off. There are 2 screens to begin the search - a map one where there is an arrow that shows where you are going in regards to the cache and a pure coordinate screen which gives the direction and the distance. We've done a couple searches so far and we seem to be +/- 30 feet off so we end up walking around for a while searching for the cache. Here are my questions:

1. Is this normal to be off +/- 30 feet?

2. Could my GPS not be set up right? I remember reading about various settings that a GSP has so I'm wondering if there is something I am supposed to change.

3. I am assuming I hold the GPS in front of me and walk and based on that the arrow will show how I'm walking in conjunction with the location of the cache?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes it is quite normal. Even if you had a $5,000 commercial GPS with pinpoint accuracy, the person who placed the cache didn't, so you can still be 20-30 feet off at the cache site. Being that both you and the hider have consumer grade units with an accuracy of between 5 and 30 feet depending on conditions, being 30 feet off is quite normal. Sometimes you'll even see 50+ feet off

2. Could my GPS not be set up right? I remember reading about various settings that a GSP has so I'm wondering if there is something I am supposed to change.

Most come out of the box set for geocaching. At least all the Garmins I have purchased did.

3. I am assuming I hold the GPS in front of me and walk and based on that the arrow will show how I'm walking in conjunction with the location of the cache?

Yep, that's how most of use do it. Follow the arrow. If you don't already, you should have a data field on your navigation (i.e. compass) screen showing distance to destination. If it isn't there you can usually add it.

Hi, I am new also and just got a Venture HC about 3 weeks ago. When I know I am fairly close to the cache say few hundred yards or so, I select the map screen. I/we are represented by the black arrow or triangle and yes you are correct follow the line to the cache.

What I have noticed with mine is it generally is + or - 12 to 15 feet. Once it got down to 4 feet accuracy. I have read that factors to consider are that some caches may have been placed 3 or 4 years age and the accuracy of the hiders gps may be slightly off a little bit due to older technology.

I rarley use the goto screen, I found trying to locate a cache with it will drive you crazy, the compass needle will swing different directions and give conflicting distances. I think this is because the gps is calculating travel times and speeds and once your close to the cache it just kinda goes nuts. That does not seem to happen using the map mode.

For practice I went into an empty field and placed a bucket on the ground. I then held my gps directly over the bucket and marked it as a waypoint. Then walked several yards away from it and then followed the map screen back to the bucket to see how close it would get me. You can try this in goto mode also to see the difference of each mode. Hope this helps alittle, Happy Caching.

Hi, we are new to geocaching and I'm not sure we're doing it right. We have the eTrex Venture HC. I am able to download the cache locations onto my GPS using the web site and the EasyGPS software. Then we choose the geocache we want to search for and start off. There are 2 screens to begin the search - a map one where there is an arrow that shows where you are going in regards to the cache and a pure coordinate screen which gives the direction and the distance. We've done a couple searches so far and we seem to be +/- 30 feet off so we end up walking around for a while searching for the cache. Here are my questions:

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

I have the same unit and i have to say the short time i have done it i never use the map... lol.. but i use the go too and i use the N. & W. i pin piont but like everyone ealse your not going to be right on top every time. but i have to say 90% of time i'm less then 3yards off. may it's been just luck. but pay around with it i like it. good first unit. and i do use my car GPS to get me in the aera of the Cache. i don't like my maping on my Venture HC.

I use map until I get close. Then I switch to the navigation screen, the one with the arrow on the compass which I have set to bearing. I watch where the arrow is pointing as the distance gets closer and try to see what is there. You can't walk right up on the exact coordinate but you can observe how the arrow implies the same spot a differant distances.

Usually there is an obvious landmark, a tree or something, that the needle points to as you circle it. Then it's a matter of looking around and using "geosense" which I don't always seem to have.

I find that my arrow moves around too much when we are close and slowing down. I keep a compass teathered to my Legend HCx and use the map view with north arrow aligned with my compass and the line doesn't move around near as much as the arrow did.

Now, next week when my wifes Colorado 400T comes in I think it will just blow it's AIR HORN when we reach ground zero:)

Edited by Pat in Louisiana

Be patient with the device and your skills as a finder. After a while, you will develop a fifth sense (spidey sense) that will be of equal value to your GPSr. It's true, once you get close to the cache, the pointer will appear to go crazy, and you start the drunken bee dance - walking around in circles. At that point some people put the device in their pocket and start looking for the hiding spot. Personally, I then switch to the Lat/Lon readings and try to get pinpoint accuracy. (I'm not suggesting that anyone SHOULD do it MY way.) Sometimes that puts me right on the spot, but more likely because of tree cover or hillsides, pinpoint accuracy is difficult. And buy that time, my wife already has found the cache. :P