Bug - Opening a Saved File

The Cartooners

When testing my cartridge on the latest version of the player I receive the following error message when attempting to open a cartridge that I have just saved.

A native exception has occurred in Player.exe. Select Quit and then restart this program or click on details ...

On clicking on details I receive

Exception Code oxc0000005

Exception Address 0x01911130

Reading 0x00000000

I subsequently revisited my cartridge start point with the previous version of the Player installed and everything worked fine.

Looks like a bug in the new player and a configuration management issue.

When testing my cartridge on the latest version of the player I receive the following error message when attempting to open a cartridge that I have just saved.

A native exception has occurred in Player.exe. Select Quit and then restart this program or click on details ...

On clicking on details I receive

Exception Code oxc0000005

Exception Address 0x01911130

Reading 0x00000000

I subsequently revisited my cartridge start point with the previous version of the Player installed and everything worked fine.

Looks like a bug in the new player and a configuration management issue.

I am nearing the end of a very simple cartridge only to find the same problem as above. It is therefore NOT cartridge problem.

Has anyone investigated this issue?

I get the same error too with any cartridge I've tried playing. This is a major issue because the only way I can do a Wherigo cache is to make sure I can complete it in one session and hope my batteries don't run out of charge and the program doesn't crash! I use an iPAQ H2100.

I uninstalled the old builder and installed the new version per the directions. I created a simple cartridge just like one I had working, but added the exit / save / navigate command to see what it looks like on the Colorado.

I got an error when I tried to publish the cartridge to my computer, so I decided to exit the builder and reboot the PC to make sure everything was reloaded properly. After reboot, I tried to open the cartridge and got an error. Haven't tried it with any known working cartridges yet, and I did not jot down the errors as I was just goofing around killing some time the other night.

Will take another shot at it tonight and try to post the error messages -- if I recall correctly they weren't the same ones others have reported with the new builder.

I uninstalled the old builder and installed the new version per the directions. I created a simple cartridge just like one I had working, but added the exit / save / navigate command to see what it looks like on the Colorado.

I got an error when I tried to publish the cartridge to my computer, so I decided to exit the builder and reboot the PC to make sure everything was reloaded properly. After reboot, I tried to open the cartridge and got an error. Haven't tried it with any known working cartridges yet, and I did not jot down the errors as I was just goofing around killing some time the other night.

Will take another shot at it tonight and try to post the error messages -- if I recall correctly they weren't the same ones others have reported with the new builder.

The Exit/Save/Navigate isn't implemented yet on the Colorado so if a cart has this command, it will cause the colorado to error out.

David

Edited by davidloew

The Exit/Save/Navigate isn't implemented yet on the Colorado so if a cart has this command, it will cause the colorado to error out.

David

Yeah, I saw a note to that effect after I messed with it a bit. However, the cartridge wouldn't even compile, and once I tried to load the cartridge after a reboot it failed to load.

Yeah, I saw a note to that effect after I messed with it a bit. However, the cartridge wouldn't even compile, and once I tried to load the cartridge after a reboot it failed to load.

Mind if I take a look at it? I've seen in the past a few deleted variables still being referenced in the lua file, causing problems like that. If you don't want the source posted in the forum, just email the file to me. I'm interested in seeing this for myself.

Mind if I take a look at it? I've seen in the past a few deleted variables still being referenced in the lua file, causing problems like that. If you don't want the source posted in the forum, just email the file to me. I'm interested in seeing this for myself.

I should have some free time tonight to sit down at the computer -- I can upload it then.

One thing I might mention is that I did the uninstall from the uninstall menu item, and not through the add / remove programs in Windows. Not sure if this makes a difference or not. Will look at this as well.

I have a XP load on another box I can try as well -- it has never had the builder loaded on it. I'm rather limited on computers with Windows as ours is a Linux household.

See this thread for the initial problem

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=191769

This is what I have done:

1. Downloaded the latest Builder (2.0.5129.5086 dated 29 May 2008) and opened and closed the cartridge, compiling in between.

2. Downloaded the latest Player (2.0.5129.5191 dated 29 may 2008) and installed on PDA.

3. Copied .gwc file across to PDA.

4. Field tested the cartridge ensuring that I closed and saved after multiple zones.

On each opening I chose Yes to restore the saved cartridge and everything worked fine.

So, what fixed my problem?

Well, either something was fixed within the software and no mention has been made of it,

OR

it has something to do with compiling the cartridge in the new Builder. However, I am sure that I did that for the software release dated 18 Apr 2008 and subsequent releases.

Confused? I am. Anyway, its now working for me.

Happy days.

Now to upload the new cartridges.