Walking staff?

Curious how many people use walking sticks/trekking staffs when they are out and about?

I've been looking at one through LL Bean (I'd post the link, but not sure if that's frowned upon?) and I've been thinking it might be nice to have something like this as it folds up and can be used when needed.

Wondering what others do?

What Jennifer&Dean said

The Walmart ones work for us.

Great price, functional, and they are a nice blue color. Our old knees are not what they use to be.

How did that saying go? Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.

Trekking poles help keep the saying alive.

Of course, if money is no object, Google "Trekking poles" and you can find some nice but spendy stuff out there.

At Walmart try the Sporting Goods section by the hydration packs. Just around the corner from the 88 cents waterproof matchstick containers.

What Jennifer&Dean said

The Walmart ones work for us.

Great price, functional, and they are a nice blue color. Our old knees are not what they use to be.

How did that saying go? Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.

Trekking poles help keep the saying alive.

Of course, if money is no object, Google "Trekking poles" and you can find some nice but spendy stuff out there.

At Walmart try the Sporting Goods section by the hydration packs. Just around the corner from the 88 cents waterproof matchstick containers.

Yep! That is where we found ours. They are wonderful, and not expensive. Ours are red with little compasses in the top.

I'll see if I can get there in the next few days to check it out. I'm looking at some caches in my area that require some uphill hiking and I think a staff would come in handy. Probably be good to get a $10 one to make sure I like them, anyway.

How small do they become when you collapse them? Small enough to fit in a backpack?

I'll see if I can get there in the next few days to check it out. I'm looking at some caches in my area that require some uphill hiking and I think a staff would come in handy. Probably be good to get a $10 one to make sure I like them, anyway.

How small do they become when you collapse them? Small enough to fit in a backpack?

They collapse to about 26"

El Diablo is making one for our Lazy Hayes Days II event...it's a bit more expensive than those metal ones, but a treasure as well as a functional staff!

When I ordered the staff, I worried I'd end up wanting it and therefore would buy it in the silent auction our event is using this staff for, so I decided to make my own! We found a nice branch from an Ash tree in the very park our event is being hosted, I took it home and toiled over it for all of 3-4 hours and YES!! I now have a trackable and beautiful hand-made hiking staff!!

We're making a few more to give away as presents to our friends!!

I've tried both the red SwissGear pole from Wally World and my sister's Leki, which was about 7 times as expensive. The only difference I noticed between the two was the quality. If you're just going for casual hikes through the woods, the SwissGear will quite likely last you a lifetime. If you are hard on equipment, (as I am), then you might consider investing in the high end sticks. I broke my SwissGear stick within a week of buying it, because I placed too much sideways stress on it. Really, my fault, but a Leki wouldn't have broken under the same circumstances.

I now hike with a staff made from diamond willow.

I have 2 different staffs. 1 is made of bambo, which since is hollowed already makes for storing extra things such as matches, string, duct tape easy. Outside I use a burner and log all the caches I visit.

My 2nd staff I bought at Pat Catans and was actually a wooden Flag Pole. I burned a travel bug insignia and tracking number into the Pole Knob at the top and keep that one in my jeep for spur of the moment caching.

My son gave me a pair for christmas and I love them, great for balance and makes the steep uphill climbs alot better. I like to track with my GPS and it is hard to hold it and the Poles. Working on a solution.

Get some that are recommended. Some of them that are adjustable get stuck and can never be unstuck again. Don't over tighten.

I also have a stick and love to take it as well. Making your own stick is a fun thngs to do. Lots of way to do it.

Ski Poles, Tree Limb, Broom handle, What ever you find. Wood, Aluminum, Plastic

Edited by GPS-Hermit

I collect walking sticks. Kinda.

I have gotten a suitable piece of wood from all the place I have lived and made sticks out of them. I have a saguaro rib staff, a mesquite walking stick, a Stika spruce driftwood stick, and so on. I normally don't use them on short walks but I will take one when going on a hike.

Here is my favorite.

Wolf1.jpg

Wolf2.jpg

Wolf's Walking Stick TB

Caching is been a journey so I needed I stick for it and my friends knew it. ;) Caching friends are the best friends.

Edit fur spelun'

Edited by Totem Clan

I have an El Diablo that I won in the forums several years ago. I later commisioned one from him for my wife for our fifth anniversary (that's the wood anniversary). ElD once posted his methods in the forums, and I followed them to make one for my daughter. They're all beautiful and comfortable. Portability can be an issue with a five-foot piece of wood, but I haven't had to fly it anywhere, so even that hasn't really been a problem.

Using trekking poles in pairs is much more effective than using a single pole or staff. They take a lot of strain off the knees during steep descents, ease stream crossings, and help with balance on rough terrain. A single pole can be helpful, but the benefit is nowhere near that of a pair of poles.

Here's a link to an illustrated discussion of trekking poles. Pay particular attention to the use of the strap to take the load off your grip. If you use the grips in the 'obvious' way, with the strap hanging loose, you'll trade knee trouble for hand/wrist/forearm trouble.

I was a Boy Scout Master for 18 years and have all kinds of walking staffs I picked over the years. Just this last winter I took 3 of my favorite ones that I had carved and stained and varnished them. I get a lot people approching me to look at them. I also have a set of the cheap poles like from Wal-Mart that I got off of ebay and I like them also my wife only uses them. I like the wood because they are better to defend myself from snakes or dogs than the collapsable ones.

At most BS summer camps they sell the boys a mop handle to use as a walking staff and they will carve them and put leather on them and they make good sticks. So if nothing else go to a hardware store and buy a 5 foot mop handle and try that. They say a good walking staff sould come to about your sholder, I personally like mine a little higher to about the top of my head.

I borrowed a pair of trekking poles last year when I was going to do some desert hiking in Utah with a heavy camera backpack. I fell in love with them; they really helped with balance in sand, and on tricky downhills. And, I noticed much less stress on both back and joints.

Since then, I have invested in a fairly good pair of Leki poles. I use them on caching hikes often. The only problem (more an annoyance, really) is using two poles and carrying and checking my handheld gps at the same time. Can be a bit awkward at times. But all in all, given the choice of having poles with me on a hike or not having them, I'd opt to have them every time.

I borrowed a pair of trekking poles last year when I was going to do some desert hiking in Utah with a heavy camera backpack. I fell in love with them; they really helped with balance in sand, and on tricky downhills. And, I noticed much less stress on both back and joints.

Since then, I have invested in a fairly good pair of Leki poles. I use them on caching hikes often. The only problem (more an annoyance, really) is using two poles and carrying and checking my handheld gps at the same time. Can be a bit awkward at times. But all in all, given the choice of having poles with me on a hike or not having them, I'd opt to have them every time.

Just wanted to highlight the statements I say "ditto" to. :drama: I started using a walking stick three years ago. Recently I got a pari of Leki trekking poles at REI when they had their 20% off sale.

I lent those to a friend who hiked the Grand Canyon recently and he became a convert to using two poles, vs. his single hiking stick, on that hike.

I'll add yet another ditto to the $10 pole from WalMart (or Target, or Dicks, or KMart, etc.). I have a single pole (I can see the use of two poles, but I usually need a free hand for holding my GPSr or my son).

BUT, I'm thinking about upgrading to a hiking pole that doubles as a monopod or expands to a tripod for taking pictures. Does anyone have any experience with either of those?

I have to treking poles from REI that work great but they don't collapse all that small. Someone I know who does Letterboxing has a pole from the Container Store (of all places) that folds down very small (tubular sections connected by shock cord) and will easily fit in a backpack.

It might be worth checking out as well.

OTR

I'll add yet another ditto to the $10 pole from WalMart (or Target, or Dicks, or KMart, etc.). I have a single pole (I can see the use of two poles, but I usually need a free hand for holding my GPSr or my son).

BUT, I'm thinking about upgrading to a hiking pole that doubles as a monopod or expands to a tripod for taking pictures. Does anyone have any experience with either of those?

As someone who is a photographer, the tripod one looks awesome.

My Leki walking stick can be used as a monopod. I found it on eBay for about half the new price. It works great, if you can stick it in the ground far enough (before attaching the camera, or course), or otherwise support it securely so it stands up straight enough to take a group picture, or self-portrait.

I got my monopod/staff from LL Bean. It works great. Got it on sale in the outlet. :drama:

Curious how many people use walking sticks/trekking staffs when they are out and about?

I've been looking at one through LL Bean (I'd post the link, but not sure if that's frowned upon?) and I've been thinking it might be nice to have something like this as it folds up and can be used when needed.

Wondering what others do?

I carry a staff with me in my vechile always and if I get off the sidewalk, it is in my hand. As mentioned by some others, I use a wooden handle. Mine is an old rake handle it is smaller in diameter than a mop or broom handle, the weight is light, it is strong, and it is great for poking around in leaf litter and moving small stuff around. I drilled a hole in the top and attached a leather strap to slip my wrist through. I coated it with some polyurathane and it has really saved my knees and helped out in some serious bushwacking through some monster briar swamps.

I bought a pair of Leki poles from steepandcheap for more difficult terrain and they are great. I've found them so useful I almost always have at least one with me even on level ground. It comes in handy for scratching around in the leaves, poking in the snow, reaching for things that are too high or down inside a tall stump or probing inside that tree trunk instead of using my hand.

I have arthritis in my knees. I use a walking stick almost all the time, and it really helps me keep my balance when my knees, due to lack of flexibility, can't recover from a misstep or a loose rock or whatever. And many times it has kept me from falling down.

With the pole I can walk about 3 miles. Without it, less than a mile. So it obviously is taking a lot of stress off my joints.

Reading this thread, I'm considering using two, but I'd probably have trouble trying to carry the GPSr at the same time.

Yeah, those ElD sticks look real nice and I wouldn't mind having one some day. Wouldn't use it for hiking though, it might accidentally touch dirt.

Yeah, me too. I got one for my husband several years ago, I keep hoping he'll return the favor, but so far....

Well, at least I have a nice pair of Leki trekking poles. I always take at least one along with me. When we do higher terrain hikes, I take both. My husband uses his Comperdells for everyda use (he saves the ElD pole for events, where lots of people can admire it).

I had a single pole and a dual set. I used the single for light hikes and the dual set for more serious hiking. I recently bent the single after 5 years of usage so now I'm in the market for another and will probably take a longer time selecting it than I did the first one now that I know what I'm doing. :P

Edited by TotemLake

Using trekking poles in pairs is much more effective than using a single pole or staff.

Pay particular attention to the use of the strap.

++

Very sound advice. Decent quality poles are very packable so there's no reason to not carry a set. Having two makes a world of difference sometimes. And if you aren't using the strap you're either going down some crazy downslope or not using them right. The strap is meant to carry the weight and the grip for control.

And the Walmart poles .... skip them. For just $20 more you can buy a decent set of poles. The Wally World ones I've seen work fine for casual use, but I know I can trust my life on my poles (and have). Why not spend another $20 for a decent set? The Wally World ones buckle or break when you need them most.

Poles don't make you a better hiker, mountaineer, skree'r, etc. Know when and why to use them.

I made one for my friend and I'll be making more along with another friend. So far I have pine and maple to work with. I'm just starting but as an artist I am already carving nice designs and staining them in two tone (well natural tone of the wood and a darker tone) and then sealing them. I'd like to get real intricate with the designs. It'll be a nice side job to my freelance art as well (living on a highway don't hurt!). I'm thinking 10 to 50 dollars each depending on the detail. Something so salt of the earth having a wooden walking stick. They help a lot up hills.

This has been an outstanding thread. Thanks for all the help. Didn't get to check the Wal-Mart ones tonight. I've really been thinking about the one I saw from LL Bean, but don't like the handle.

Seems like I'll need to do some more research. I just think one of these (I don't want a set) will work well for me as we have some good hiking caches around here.

I've tried both the red SwissGear pole from Wally World and my sister's Leki, which was about 7 times as expensive. The only difference I noticed between the two was the quality. If you're just going for casual hikes through the woods, the SwissGear will quite likely last you a lifetime. If you are hard on equipment, (as I am), then you might consider investing in the high end sticks. I broke my SwissGear stick within a week of buying it, because I placed too much sideways stress on it. Really, my fault, but a Leki wouldn't have broken under the same circumstances.

I now hike with a staff made from diamond willow.

I bought leki poles because I wanted some quality, sturdy poles. I also thought that they would be virtually indestructable. However on my second outing I snapped one in half. Turns out Leki has a lifetime replacement on their pole shafts. So I contacted leki and within 2 days I have replacement shafts enroute to my house. Despite the break of my poles, I have been very happy with them and you can't go wrong with a lifetime guarantee! Sure you'll pay a bit more but you'll have one set of poles for life. I paid 50 bucks on ebay for mine.

jleing

Just a quick comment. When deciding about buying poles, one advantage t spending a little bit more for brand nasme poles such as Leki, is that the more expensive poles often have a feature where the grips are slightly angled. It doesn't sound like much, but I found that it does make a difference as far as comfort of use. Better poles also seem to have better designed straps.

Went to the big Cabela's store about 15 miles from my house, and paid around $40 for a pair of them with tax. Later in the day, had to make a trip to Wal-Mart and out of curiosity checked the sporting goods area. Was shocked (and miffed) that I could have had a pair of very similar poles for around $18. Going back to Cabela's this weekend to make the return and then I'm going to buy the Wal-Mart ones.

In addition to being useful for walking, I use mine to probe inside hollow logs and the like to detect any hiding critters. Better to let them bite the end of my trekking pole than my finger!!