Is There Cheating When it Comes to Hunting a Difficult Cache

It seems to me that some people, and not just the op, take this whole ftf thing WAY too seriously. Go out and have fun. Sounds to me like the group that found the cache had a good time, can't fault 'em for that.

For many caching IS a social event. The whole point is to get together and have fun. I know a few who always go caching as a group. Not always in the same group but as part of some group. Their idea of a great caching weekend starts with a phone call. "Hey, I was thinking about doing cache X, wanna go? Call Billy Cachehound and I'll call Betty Coinbuff and we'll make a real party run out of it. The more the merrier."

As for who got FTF, well, their names are first on the log. There are no rules for being first to find. There is not an FTF race governing body. No race officials. So that leaves one question, how can you break a rule that doesn't exist?

Ok, here it goes. I'm here to ask your opinion on the topic.Please don't respond with your opinion on me,my opinion,my state of mind,how I choose to get my point across etc... PLEASE respond to the topic and the topic only.No personal attacks allowed.No ganging up on anybody especially me(us. I'm the writer/logger for our 2 man team).

We think there should be some new abbreviations for FTF and they are FTFFS and FTFBC.

FTFFS means you were the first to find fair and square.

FTFBC means you were the first to find by cheating.

Here's my story...A certain evil micro hide was published a few weeks back.Now,we have super busy lives outside of caching so we don't sit around waiting for new caches to pop up and then run out to GZ to be the FTF. So we have the general area in our notify preferences and we get the FTF email log for said cache .I read it mainly because the guy it's dedicated to is someone who has put out TONS of caches that we've enjoyed hunting.Anyway,the FTF log goes on to say that the first guy out there spent 4.5 hours at GZ with no luck. He then goes to our local caching site the next day trying to round up a posse to go out there with him. He rounds up I think 5 or 6 other local cachers and they plan the rendevous. THEN he calls the cache owner and asks him for a clue or a hint !!!!! (this is all in his log), THEN to top it all off the owner of the cache goes out to GZ with this guy and his posse !!! They're all out there the next day. The guy who started the whole thing is on his lunch break. He shakes everyone's hand,they all meet and he goes right for the cache ! The rest of em' gather around to admire the find. THEN they all log the FTF together !! Each one of em' logs that they were the first to find !

So,another week goes by and nobody's finding this thing so we gotta get out there and check it out,it must be good. We have a group of FTF obsessed cachers in the area who actually admit to setting their alarm clocks for 5am and who have several different methods of receiving new cache notifies so when we don't see the names of all the usual suspects popping up on this cache we know it's a good one and we also know that all the usual suspects have been out there !!

We go out.The 2 of us as always and it just so happens we only have 1 gps cuz my team mate left his at his house !! We're lookin' around for about 10 minutes,the gps is literally frozen solid on 15' and won't move.We notice that there's this huge weird tower right there.So I hand off the gps to my mate cuz maybe he'll have better luck. I swear,as soon as I did the compass swung around and took us in a totally different direction. Wow ! We start looking around,he's about 15' from me and says "Hey,check that thing right there", so I do and BAM !! there it is. Thing is it's in a place that most cachers aren't going to check. I'd love to tell you the details but you never know who's watching !! Let's put it this way, I should NEVER,EVER,EVER have found it ! You look up "Evil Nano Hide" in the dictionary and there's a picture of this thing !! Anyway, I freak and I jump on him and almost knock him down!

To make my VERY LONG story short I ask you, who should get the FTF honors on this evil micro ? Us or the group that CHEATED and asked for clues and went out to GZ with the owner ???

Thus,the new FTF abbreviations. FTF ? Ok. How'd you find it ? Did you find it fair and square or did you cheat ?

Know what they said in the forum ? Get a load of this nonsens.... "How could there be cheating if there aren't any rules ??? " All hell broke loose from there and the rest is history !!!

OUR OPINION...If you wanna hunt in groups and cheat then stick to the huge ammo cans in the trees or under wood piles and leave the 4-5 star dif nanos to us die hard challenge seekers who don't cheat. There must be 200 hidden ammo cans to every evil micro right ? If you go out in huge numbers then hunt the caches that are in huge numbers. There needs to be a rule on cheating on the hard ones and what the heck is the point of hiding an evil 4-5 dif nano if you're just gonna tell people where it is and then go out to GZ with em' ??? IT MAKES NO SENSE !! Thanks

Ok...I will only reply to the original post because so much has been said since that it would take all day for me to call you out on it.

No new abbreviations needed....but you can leave what ever abbreviations you want but why do that? Perhaps to make other cachers feel unworthy in some way? Why is that called for?

I would hope that any new HARD to find caches would be found without the owners help by the first few finders...that is what happens in my area....but if it doesn't happen...oh well, it was only me hoping.

I dont see anything wrong with a group of cachers gathering together to head out and look for a hard to find cache together....that sounds like it could be really fun actually. I'm not in the "inner circle" around here so I never get those invites but I admit...it sounds fun.

But I will give you this....I do agree with you that the owner should not have gone on his lunch break and grabbed the cache and brought it out for the group....that doesn't sound like fun to me....but I think its wrong of me to tell everyone how to play the game...everyone plays it differently. I would chose not to be involved in that type of "hunt" if I knew the owner was just going to rip it out and say here it is....i'm talking about the HARD evil hide here.

....stick to the point of your original post...ignore the posts on your character and other opinions...replying to them only fuels the fire.

I'd like to call you out on lots of things you said but life is to short...I don't have time for that nonsense. I will say this...I've been known to set my alarm for 4 am to be first.....3:30 am if I want coffee lol

PS: I'll tell you what Jesus would do.If he couldn't find a cache he certainly wouldn't cheat.

That Jesus guy can be so annoying to cache with sometimes! We were in this county park with "No Alcohol Allowed" signs all over the place, and he kept changing my bottled water to wine! The nerve of that guy! I ask him politely to cease, and he says, "Peace, my son. Do unto others". I dumped my bottle of newly acquired wine on his head. Then, one day I'm on a FTF hunt. I pull into a parking lot and see another cacher getting out of their car. I broke his leg to slow him down. Along come Jesus and "Poof" the guy's healed. Beat me to the cache! I ask you, how can a guy get in an honest days caching when there's some hippie freak looking guy in a dress, running around performing miracles all day? I keep expecting to hear Bob Marley background music. If that ain't cheating, I don't know what is!

I've come to the conclusion that the original poster is one of the following:

A: A troll (looking to start trouble).

B: Simply knows how to start threads that spark interest and response.

C: Is an alter ego.

D: Takes Geocaching and/or themselves WAY too seriously.

E: Simply a complainer.

You mention numerous times that you have the same experience on your local board, but yet state your new to forums.

Could your problem simply be that you are your own worst enemy or an over achiever in the wrong arena?

Edited by XopherN71

OK, I went and read the log your team made for that cache: I think it was perfectly fine.

It was even-handed, informative, it managed to get a dig in without sounding too petulant, and captured your "moment" very well.

Why those same qualities do not transfer from there to here is a mystery.

;)

(oops, sorry...forgot the smilies make me look stoopid)

I suppose my point is: you (and your mate) are much more engaging and clever when you aren't taking yourselves too seriously (and when you aren't trying so hard).

(Oh, and I like the way you have plenty of pictures in your gallery.)

Kindest regards,

TeamGumbo (not my actual name)

P.S. Please feel free to psychoanalyze me at your leisure.

A: A troll (looking to start trouble).Has no earthly idea they are a troll.

You mention numerous times that you have the same experience on your local board, but yet state your new to forums.

I fixed your post and left only my choices.

I did some digging and found a clue on GONIL, but it's past my bed time and the Snoogstress turned me down when I bolted from the shower and proclaimed "SOAPY BOY IS HERE!" So now my heart isn't in it. :D Dang baby ruining my fun... B)

Do some more digging on GONIL....

IMO, they are new. Their logs have that new cacher enthusiasm that socks can't fake. They just don't play well with others....

The paper coins thread they started in the geocoin forum is the telling tale. I linked it in my last post on page 2. Read what the mods have to say. ;)

Edited by Snoogans

A: A troll (looking to start trouble).Has no earthly idea they are a troll.

I fixed your post and left only my choices.

I did some digging and found a clue on GONIL, but it's past my bed time and the Snoogstress turned me down when I bolted from the shower and proclaimed "SOAPY BOY IS HERE!" So now my heart isn't in it. :D Dang baby ruining my fun... B)

Do some more digging on GONIL....

IMO, they are new. Their logs have that new cacher enthusiasm that socks can't fake. They just don't play well with others....

The paper coins thread they started in the geocoin forum is the telling tale. I linked it in my last post on page 2. Read what the mods have to say. ;)

Hard to believe.

OK, I've got to get a post into this legendary thread.

In answer to your question, "Is there cheating when it comes to hunting a difficult cache?", the answer is NO.

At least to MY definition of 'cheating'.

You can form your own definition of cheating in any way you wish, but good luck on getting anyone else to agree with your definition.

Being first to find means very little to anyone except the first to find and the cache owner.

I find your posts to be in violation of your own request not to attack you. When you quote someone else as saying "blah-blah-blah"' you are obviously attempting to belittle their opinion.

Very poor form.

Good luck with enjoying geocaching the way you are attempting to play.

I have tons of fun playing my way!

Could someone please pass the popcorn?

Edited by Stargazer22

My $.02 about the OP question:

No, it isn't cheating because their team is bigger than yours. Some people consider the unwritten rule to be a cache can only be found by a person instead of a team, but they usually realize that it's just their own interpetation and don't call people stupid when they play the game differently.

Waterboarding the cache owner to get the location would be cheating, asking them is not.

Maybe...just maybe...someday the rest of us will rise to your level of understanding and self-fulfillment…

Until then, if you want to call me a cheater becuase I cache in groups and use hints and whatever else you don't agree with, go right ahead...

One thing to remember in the forums though...if you start with your opinion of right or wrong, be prepared to get opinions back...

B):huh::D:drama::huh::huh::blink::huh:B):D:huh::blink::D

Wow!

You got it bad. :huh:

Sounds like they had fun and you had fun. That's what caching is about. Forget the rest of it and go have more fun.

Both CharlesPhillps and TotemClan hit it square on the head. First, you have laid down, or tried to lay down, waay too many rules for anyone to take you seriously, and also for most folks to bother reading the remainder of your post. You obviously, as others have pointed out, have some fascinating control issues. But, I do appreciate that you have a bit of a sense of humor as well.

Next, it sounds like the first finders had a load of fun, and, after all, they DID find the cache, and it sounds like you had fun. Could you just accept that everyone had fun and that you were not the official FTF on this cache, and could you just let go of all the angst, all the trying to figure things out, trying to control everything and trying to be right, and could you just let yourself be happy and at peace instead, and could you be grateful for this evil hide? Would you? Would you let that all happen right now? And, if not now, then when?

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

With that much angst about the game/hobby/sport, the OP is a prime candidate for a geocide.

If nothing else they are a prime candidate for a coronary. In the immortal words of Sergeant Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."

(BTW when was the last geocide around here?)

Now I realize that I'm the only one playing this game right, everybody else is cheating:

1) I desparately need my beauty sleep. It is not fair that some people go caching at night and get the FTF before me.

2) I have a mid-level GPSr. It is not fair that some people have a better GPSr than I do and get the FTF before I do.

3) I work Mon-Fri. It is not fair that some people can go caching when I have to work.

4) I am a cranky old b*tch and have no friends. It is not fair that other people have friends with whom they can go caching.

From hence forth I will declare myself the true FTF on every cache I find.

Now I realize that I'm the only one playing this game right, everybody else is cheating:

1) I desparately need my beauty sleep. It is not fair that some people go caching at night and get the FTF before me.

2) I have a mid-level GPSr. It is not fair that some people have a better GPSr than I do and get the FTF before I do.

3) I work Mon-Fri. It is not fair that some people can go caching when I have to work.

4) I am a cranky old b*tch and have no friends. It is not fair that other people have friends with whom they can go caching.

From hence forth I will declare myself the true FTF on every cache I find.

Simply outstanding. :drama:

With that much angst about the game/hobby/sport, the OP is a prime candidate for a geocide.

If nothing else they are a prime candidate for a coronary. In the immortal words of Sergeant Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."

In this case, I think it would be a mercy killing. :drama:

OK... here's my answer... and I haven't read anything in this thread except the original post. It's up to the cache owner to decide to give or not give any extra clues. The folks who found it first, found it first. That doesn't mean that if I found it 2nd, 3rd, 4th... or whatever, and did it without help that I wouldn't let everyone know that in my log :drama: .

I went on a FTF hunt once and when I posted my first DNF, I got an email from the owner with an extra hint. I didn't ask for it, but got it none the less. It took me a couple of attempts to find it, but I did (finally) get the FTF. I would never have even thought about asking for an extra hint... but it was given (and confirmed that I was right on top of it!) and I took it.

It's really at the owner's discretion. I know there are many who won't give any extra clues until the FTF is done.

If I were you, I'd take satisfaction in knowing that you actually found it using your own skills. I'm sure your fellow local cachers know what's what. :D

DCC

Don't want to be responsible for any bad nights, but cachers in my area may be the OPs worst nightmare! B)

We're prone to do something just for the fun of it. :blink:

We've been known to holler "Sign my name!" out the car window while watching the cacher who actually got out and was FTF sign the log... and all claimed FTF on it! :blink:

A cacher once stood on my front bumper to place a new cache on a sign-post. Those of us in the car claimed FTF! :D

That wasn't cheating. :huh:

We share a large Phone-A-Friend list... if you can't find it, call one of us who has, we'll give you a hint. Still can't find it? We'll tell you where it is. :huh:

That isn't cheating either :D

And, I like emoticons. :drama:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

In this case, I think it would be a mercy killing. :drama:

Amen! :D:DB)

We think there should be some new abbreviations for FTF and they are FTFFS and FTFBC.

How about this instead: use the abbreviation "FTFWC" in your logs. If someone asks you what it means, and you don't want to ruffle any feathers, tell them that it means "First To Find Without Clues." But in your heart of hearts, you can think of it as "First To Find Without Cheating." Everybody's happy.

How about this instead: use the abbreviation "FTFWC" in your logs. If someone asks you what it means, and you don't want to ruffle any feathers, tell them that it means "First To Find Without Clues." But in your heart of hearts, you can think of it as "First To Find Without Cheating." Everybody's happy.

How about "First to Find without any additional help" FTFWAAH! :drama:

How about "First to Find without any additional help" FTFWAAH! :drama:

Even better. :D

How about "First to Find without any additional help" FTFWAAH! :D

How about: "First to Find without cheating, additional help, owner's hints, or just because I want to be the first to find and will find an excuse as to why everyone else cheated to get the find before I could get here even if the cache has been here for a year or longer"

FTFWCAHOHOJBIWTBTFTFAWFAEATWEECTGTFBICGHEITCHBHFAYOL

I like it. Kinda catchy.

:drama::D:blink:B)