New here

obnoxiousblue

Hey guys, Im Mike, new to the site, been floating around the geocache site in the backgrounds for a bit over a year. Ive been using my TomTom (ok, I know not so great!) and my Nextell which have helped me find a few caches, and only recently found that there is a Geocache Navigator program uploadable to my Nextel, which has also helped in the past few weeks. I think its time to cough up the dough on a respectable unit though.

Ive been reading SO MANY threads on GPS's that Im sure your all sick of the topic, so Ill keep it simple, Im looking for a unit that works well, I dont mind spending a few extra bucks for frills. Ive read ALOT on the Colorado, is it wortth the bang? Ive also been reading up on the Garmin pages, and the compares are pretty incredible, lots of options. Im looking for a unit that can record my finds, somthing that can work for me in the car, on the roads (I do LOTS of road trips in my 71 bug during the summer) somthing that can grow with me and not be obsiltete in a month...

Whats a good way to start? Would jumping into a too-techical unit be a mistake?

Thanks guys, hope not to drone you!

See you around!

I sleep with my Garmin Maps 60scx every night... No wonder I've got keypad marks on my face in the morning.

The best advice I can give you is to search the forums, that's what I did. Also, you can go to garmin.com or whichever other brands and do compare side-by-side options to see what has what. I'm a very visual person, that helped ^^

P.S. Welcome! =)

Edited by PyrateWench

Hi Mike,

Welcome!

I would reccomend any of the 60 or 76 series Garmins, or any of the Garmin models with an "H".

All of those have good sensitivity in the field and will give similar results when caching.

I have both a 76CSx and a Vista Hcx. They both work for caching pretty much the same.

The 76CSx seems to be a little more stable and has a few things going for it that are in my opinion, just a little bit better than the Vista Hcx. However, I really like the brighter screen on the Vista Hcx.

During the day and when driving, the added visibility is nice (especially when wearing sunglasses).

The base maps are pretty much useless for any detailed navigation, so expect to invest in some better maps if you want to use it on road trips much.

Good luck and Happy Caching!