Does your other half think you're sad for Geocaching?

You are a nerd. :) You are a geocacher :ph34r: . Now, get over it and go find something! :);)

I still get those questioned looks when I describe what we do.

...and those questions...."What do you win?"

After they attend an event, or go on an awesome geocaching adventure with us, they understand.

Once you show them a local secret beach or waterfall, which is right off a street that everyone drives right on by every day, they understand.

...until then, just combine it with a shopping mall expedition :)

My wife by no means gets excited when I bring up any Geocaching lingo. She accepts it, and even talked to a few people at work about it (one actually knew what it was).

As much as I'd love her to get into it, I don't push it too far. Just because we're a couple doesn't mean we have to do everything together... although sometimes I wish she'd show a little more enthusiasm :ph34r:

just give her time. then bring her to some camping events(Oxford :ph34r: ). let the drinks flow. then she will be well in to caching. she will also meet some of the other caching groups. like my self and my hubby john(phillimore clan) we don't always cache together. but we do talk to people out side of caching( that dont cache at all). just bring her along to an event ;)

just give her time. then bring her to some camping events

No, don't do that :ph34r: . My wife will never go to another Geocaching camping event again. Dozens of people talking about nothing but geocaching for days on end, nowhere to escape, no-one else "normal" there to talk to ;)

Cathy enjoys the long walks on the moors with a few caches every hour or so, but hopping in and out of the car every 10 minutes for a 200 yard walk to a cache is a big no no. Having a partner with a different hobby/interest is good. You can both escape from each other if you need to :)

...... hopping in and out of the car every 10 minutes for a 200 yard walk to a cache is a big no no.

I remembered this log on one of my London virtuals:

-------------------------------------

Cathy: "What's up this way?"

Stuey: "I'm trying to find the Tube station"

Cathy: "What are you doing now?"

Stuey: "I'm just having a look at this plaque"

Cathy: "Why?"

Stuey: ..... silence

Cathy: "WHY?"

Stuey: "Errrrm, I just wonder what it says on it"

Cathy: "WHY???"

Stuey: "Errrrrrr, cuz it's a cache"

Cathy: "WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CACHING THIS WEEKEND"

Stuey: "OK, I'll just take a quick photo, this is the last cache, I promise"

Next stop Catastrophe, Calamity, cataclysm part 3, hehehe.

Fortunately Nicky enjoys caching although she can take it or leave it. It's fine if you've both got other interests.

...... hopping in and out of the car every 10 minutes for a 200 yard walk to a cache is a big no no.

I remembered this log on one of my London virtuals:

Cathy: "What's up this way?"

Stuey: "I'm trying to find the Tube station"

Cathy: "What are you doing now?"

Stuey: "I'm just having a look at this plaque"

Cathy: "Why?"

Stuey: ..... silence

Cathy: "WHY?"

Stuey: "Errrrm, I just wonder what it says on it"

Cathy: "WHY???"

Stuey: "Errrrrrr, cuz it's a cache"

Cathy: "WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CACHING THIS WEEKEND"

Stuey: "OK, I'll just take a quick photo, this is the last cache, I promise"

Next stop Catastrophe, Calamity, cataclysm part 3, hehehe.

Ah yes, I remember that now ;) . I think I managed to do two (or three?) caches that day with Cathy without her realising B)

Meanwhile.... back at the office.

"We had such a wonderful vacation, my (husband/wife) really seemed to enjoy the outdoors and would just stop and wander around every now and then to really get a feel for it. I never knew (he/she) was so in tune with nature and historical landmarks."

I'm very single at the moment, and I've gone as far as to say that any bloke I think I might like to get serious with has to either BE a cacher already, or be willing to be converted.

Simple as that!

(There ARE other things on the "wishlist" but that's the most important!!!!)

Edited by HazelS

We're sorry to read this.. In another hobby of Bren's - amateur radio - there are partners who behave similarly. We have always supported each others' interests absolutely 100% which is why Ruth worked hard with catering, etc., when we used to have ham radio gatherings at our house and June will find Bren helping Ruth's patchwork group with their exhibition, and walking round carrying goodies Ruth will buy when it takes place. We both geocache because we both enjoy it immensely. We both "spot" aeroplanes too, because we enjoy it.

Neither of us has ever criticised the other for anything, let alone hobbies or interests. That's what marriage is all about (41 years & still on our honeymoon).

Edited by Birders

My better-half pulls a puzzled look everytime I mention geocaching and today even stated that she'd be too embarrased to mention my interest in it to other people. I was wondering whether this was common, or have I just struck lucky!?! B)

My wife Jeannie really does think that i'm mad and suggest as much whenever she gets the opportunity. My Geocaching is done behind closed doors most of the time in her complete ignorance.

I must say I do find it a little disconcerting sometimes when I am putting out / completing some extreme caches in case I should have an accident. How would she take it if the emergency services inform her that The reason I am badly injured / dead is that I was found swinging under a bridge whilst trying to retrieve a film canister ! or I fell from a tree whilst writing down some coordinates for a tupperware box a few hundred yards away !

You can sometimes sort of understand their point of view.

That said however the last thing I would want is for her to be involved, as she is much too competitive !

:D;)B):DB)

My wife used to think it a completely pointless 'hobby' and could not see what I saw in it...... then one day I pointed out that it got me out of the house.... walking was good for me - helped me lose some weight, get fresh hair and more importantly keep me out of her hair for a short while ;)

She has been out with me a couple of times - on very short walks as she has arthritis and can't walk very far herself. She has complained both times that it puffed her out but I think she enjoyed the walk and not the caching..... but I could be wrong !! B)

Hubs takes the mick, especially when we are shopping, holding things up saying 'this would be good for your geostuff' but he bought me a 60csx, some walking shoes, a stick and a fleece for Christmas. He will listen to our stories and look at photos when we come back from a caching day out. He drills our coins, he put our latest cache boxes together, drilling and bolting stuff. He came out on a night cache with us because we were too scared to go without him.

But we can't get him to come out with us, he has his own interests, works very hard and has things he would rather do with his time off. He thinks it's a great pastime but just not for him.

If the kids don't want to come and are stuck to their laptops I give them the choice between coming with me or tidying their rooms, they are usually dressed and ready in minutes!

I am trying to convert my sister, we are going on holiday together with our children and she refuses to go 'geowhatsiting' but I've got a plan...... ;)

My Wife thinks its great, she occasionaly comes out and caches with me usually if the weathers good.

But the pay off for her is as a crafter she likes to visit craft shops and take part in craft clubs and training, she sees one thats miles from home and shes says "I wonder if theirs many caches over in xxxxx" knowing that I will be more than happy to drive over and spend the day caching the area while she is at a craft shop.

My best friend lives in London, and we catch up at least once a year. He *will* come with me, but refuses to be part of the hunt, and will wander off while I search likely looking locations.

When we were in New York a few weeks ago, I was searching up and down for a cache I'd DNF'd last year, and he point blankly refused to help me look!!

He calls it Geofishing: I asked him what was with the "fishing" - his reply? It's all outdoors isn't it? ;)B)

My other half thinks I'm absolutely bananas, he has been caching with me twice for my birthday and once for mothers day, now I try and get out whilst he is at work and the kids are at school, how I'm going to manage when I return to work I haven't worked out yet. My biggest gripe is events, I'd love to go to more events and camp but that's definitely a nono. I know there is no way I could attend the mega event cos it's the weekend near his birthday, oh well I'm sure there will be photos posted.

My other half thinks I'm absolutely bananas, he has been caching with me twice for my birthday and once for mothers day, now I try and get out whilst he is at work and the kids are at school, how I'm going to manage when I return to work I haven't worked out yet. My biggest gripe is events, I'd love to go to more events and camp but that's definitely a nono. I know there is no way I could attend the mega event cos it's the weekend near his birthday, oh well I'm sure there will be photos posted.

Sugest that you spend a weekend at a swanky hotel in Harrogate for his Birthday treat ;)

When I first noticed the Mega event, I mentioned it to my other half, expecting her to say that it wouldnt be a good idea, but I got quite the opposite the very next day she was calling the hotel and booking a room for us, for the weekend plus an extra day.

taz' date='Apr 23 2008, 04:25 AM' post='3440405']

Sugest that you spend a weekend at a swanky hotel in Harrogate for his Birthday treat ;)

When I first noticed the Mega event, I mentioned it to my other half, expecting her to say that it wouldnt be a good idea, but I got quite the opposite the very next day she was calling the hotel and booking a room for us, for the weekend plus an extra day.

enjoy B)

I dont have an other half so no problems there for me :D

But I do have a work collegue who thinks that caching is extremely geeky ... B)

The same collegue has a couple of grands worth of camera attached to a couple of grands worth of telescope in his garden so he can take pictures of distant galaxies but apparently thats not geeky ;)

I was introduced by my ex... I think I was the first person he explained it to whose response was "Really? That's sounds cool! Will you take me out some time?" It took nearly 18 months before we actually went out caching together (and then became a couple)... Hmmmm, thinking about it, I'd never noticed the correlation before. We went caching together on the Friday. He asked me out on the Saturday!

I was introduced by my ex... Hmmmm, thinking about it, I'd never noticed the correlation before. We went caching together on the Friday. He asked me out on the Saturday!

he was only after you for your GPS :drama:

LOL! His is much better than mine! I bought mine about 4 days after my first cache on eBay, with no advice! I'm still regretting it slightly, but it gets me there!

Nah, the words sad never come outta the chicks mouth. If I mention caching, I often get the Kevin response and if I am sat typing on this forum or doing something else caching related the word ADDICTED is often used. Saying that, if an FTF crops up close to home, she's often the first in the car.

Can you upgrade your other half? She seems a little substandard in the cachin department. Take her back to where you found her and see if you can exchange her Often find an event with wine and food is all that's required to give a satisfying upgrade and return to bliss.

Aiiii

As some will know my O/H is not really a cacher, she just supports the mental illness I've got called Caching Madness B) . Considering I will be on the pc looking at the site at around 7am during the week, and sometimes still on at 2am :rolleyes: [it helps throw the FTF Ho's a spanner in the works, as they have to go and get them on the way to work B) ]. And considering I probably do more hours on the site than most people work [including overtime B) ] I suppose she's right :(:)

Adam thinks I'm slightly crazy. He likes going out caching, as he enjoys the walks and the exercise and appreciates the fact that caches give our walks a direction and purpose.

But he doesn't really see the point of the actual caches and the significance of the 'numbers'! :)

Lisa

Numbers, it's not about the numbers! <_<

Neither of us like to get lots of easy ones just for the numbers. Mrs c would rather spend half a day walking miles for a good single find than racing along for a string of Micros in an urban sprawl.

I just appreciate the good hide; caches thrown out just for numbers are a disappointment.

Apart from about 10 that I have found on my own because Mrs C was busy elsewhere (like when she was at a Donny Osmond concert <_< ) all our finds have been joint.

My wife doesn't get into caching at all. When we do go for a walk she gets annoyed when I have to stop and look for "something." <_< So now I just go caching with the local cachers. We have a lot of fun and it gives me some time away from the house. So it's not such a bad thing if your spouse doesn't cache. <_<

Numbers, it's not about the numbers! <_<

Neither of us like to get lots of easy ones just for the numbers. Mrs c would rather spend half a day walking miles for a good single find than racing along for a string of Micros in an urban sprawl.

Sounds like our kind of caching.

We cache together, usually tormenting the boys by dragging them off their xboxes, although we have left them home alone while we've gone off and done a couple recently. For us caching is a family hobby no matter how sad the boys think it is and how much they moan before we leave home, they enjoy it once we get out on the hills.

having said that OH thinks I'm sad for lots of other reasons but just don't get him started on cloud formations or gliders

I just appreciate the good hide; caches thrown out just for numbers are a disappointment.

Apart from about 10 that I have found on my own because Mrs C was busy elsewhere (like when she was at a Donny Osmond concert :P ) all our finds have been joint.

Totally agree - but surely you appreciate the significance of a milestone? I want to find a special cache to do for our 1000th but Adam just doesn't get it. :D

Lisa

She says she likes caching but I don't think she does as much as me :lol: . So I try and find ones that are near National trust or English heritage sites or are where we can do some walking, sometimes you can combine a walk, historical site and lunch which tends to go down well. I do try and limit the numbers when we are caching together as I don't want to push my luck. But she does say she likes it so maybe I should go for it and get my numbers up. :P

<<Every cache we have found we have found together - and I get a kiss every time. It's a very romantic hobby really.>>

That's what we love to hear.... we're just the same. And if there's a kissing gate to go through to reach a cache so much the better - we always check to ensure that they are in full working order!!!

Aaah, and I thought it was just us two who were a pair of ol' softies...........

Usually we cache together, but I sometimes likes to get up early in the summer for a few caches before breakfast or call in for a quick cacheand dash after work. L really does think I'm sad, mad, and obsessed then.

H