Mac Users

I have a MacBook Pro and I am trying to figure out how to upload .gpx data to my Palm OS Tungsten E2 (palm) and Magellan Meridian Gold (GPS). I used to do all of this on a PC with cachmate, GSAK, and the palm software installed on my PC.

Note for reference, I do not have the connection cables with me at this time. I will have them as of 5 May when I go back home for the summer. I'm trying to figure out how to do this before that time arrives.

I still have cachmate installed on my palm, but I do not have any of the software installed on my mac yet. I found this website with Mac programs, but I do not know which to use.

Also, the cord used to transfer waypoints to my Magellan connects to the computer via a port that most laptops do not have. I believe it is the com port. You can see this thread for more information. Someone suggested export to an SD card, but the details aren't very clear.

Here's a picture of the cord from a shopping website:

21239030-177x150-0-0_.jpg

I have a Garmin GPSr, so I can't advise you on how to connect your Magellan to your MacBook. However, according to this page:

http://www.macgpspro.com/html/newhtml/macg...h.html#magellan

It would take the same USB-to-serial adapter cable that I use with my Garmin. You would plug your serial cable into that adapter cable.

When other people have asked for Mac geocaching software recommendations (see previous threads), many Mac users have recommended MacCaching or GeoJournal. I use MacGPS Pro myself. So maybe visit the websites for those programs and see which has the features you need.

Patty

I have found MacCaching to be a good program. It is similar to GSAK in many ways. It has a lot more features than I use. I paid the $15 to help support the developer's efforts.

I also use MacCMConvert to send my files to Cachemate on my Palm PDA. Its another freeware program that dependably sends the info that I want to my Zire22.

Both my Garmin Vista HCx and my Palm use the same USB cord.

I attempted to use MacSimpleGPS and it failed miserably. The program crashed every time I tried to launch the program. I don't know if it's because I didn't have my GPS unit attached, but I couldn't get it to work. I also tried to download MacCMConvert, but there seems to be something wrong with the file at http://jfatherton.0catch.com/MacCMConvert/index.html. It's downloading as a .sitx file. I attempted to open with Stuffit Expander, but I couldn't find the program in my Applications folder.

I bought the Keyspan USB Serial Adapter and installed the software for it. I'm getting an error that says the Keyspan is connected but there is nothing in the serial port. I have my Magellan Meridian Gold connected and on, but nothing is working. What's wrong?

What software is giving you the error message about the serial port? Is it the software you're using to manage your geocaches?

Patty

I've taken a few screenshots and put them together for you.

I get these windows no matter what. I can have the Keyspan plugged in (green light blinking) with the GPS connected and on, or I can have nothing plugged in.

b8d43d20-428b-4c57-85b0-040bb7a9459a.jpg

These errors were given while the Keyspan was plugged in (green light blinking) with the GPS connected and on. I did not attempt to "Send to GPS" without anything plugged in.

5b3166c6-b420-4d64-8176-3a0c22237df5.jpg

My Keyspan adapter died recently after working fine for four years. The Keyspan website has a FAQ with a list of things you can check. The entry is titled 'The Keyspan serial assistant in windows reports "no adapter found"', but the entry actually contains Mac specific information as well. If you can't solve your problem after following the procedures in the FAQ, then Keyspan has a link on their site for support.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4nll5u

GeoJournal is building a nonsensical combination of flags to GPSBabel. It should be passing a real serial port name like "/dev/ttySOMETHING" instead of "usb:" as that's never valid with 'magellan' . Send Rich my way if he disagrees.

I think you just have an inappropriate setting of 'interface' according to http://www.geoingenuity.com/main/?page_id=8#02 - you should be choosing serial here instead of usb.

But until the Keyspan driver can find its own hardware, all that's probably a distraction. Solve that first with Keyspan.

I get these windows no matter what. I can have the Keyspan plugged in (green light blinking) with the GPS connected and on, or I can have nothing plugged in.

I hadn't used Keyspan Serial Assistant before, but I just found it and ran it.

When the Keyspan cable is not plugged in, I get the same windows you do: nothing in the Serial Ports window, and then that Status window about no device being detected.

As soon as I plug the Keyspan cable into my MacBook, it appears in the Serial Ports window. That's true whether I have the GPS turned on or not.

(I would put the window image here, but I can't figure out how to insert an image into a posting without first uploading it somewhere. I could put it on my website, but I see from the page source for your posting that your images are being called directly from the Geocaching.com website. How did you get them there?)

So although the green light on your Keyspan cable is blinking, it appears that your Mac is in fact not seeing it. I don't have any bright ideas about what to check next, but at least you can focus your efforts and not worry about your geocaching software or your GPS receiver yet.

Patty

My Keyspan adapter died recently after working fine for four years. The Keyspan website has a FAQ with a list of things you can check. The entry is titled 'The Keyspan serial assistant in windows reports "no adapter found"', but the entry actually contains Mac specific information as well. If you can't solve your problem after following the procedures in the FAQ, then Keyspan has a link on their site for support.

The FAQ on their website is completely useless. The links that say where to go on their website from the Answer pages don't work.

I think you just have an inappropriate setting of 'interface' according to http://www.geoingenuity.com/main/?page_id=8#02 - you should be choosing serial here instead of usb.

When I attempt to change the setting to serial, I don't have the correct options available. It allows me to choose from Bluetooth-Modem, Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, or ASUSA696-Bluetooth-Seria-1. This might just be because my computer isn't recognizing the Keyspan.

I hadn't used Keyspan Serial Assistant before, but I just found it and ran it.

When the Keyspan cable is not plugged in, I get the same windows you do: nothing in the Serial Ports window, and then that Status window about no device being detected.

As soon as I plug the Keyspan cable into my MacBook, it appears in the Serial Ports window. That's true whether I have the GPS turned on or not.

So although the green light on your Keyspan cable is blinking, it appears that your Mac is in fact not seeing it. I don't have any bright ideas about what to check next, but at least you can focus your efforts and not worry about your geocaching software or your GPS receiver yet.

I guess that's how it is supposed to work, but I don't get anything on the Status window.

The FAQ on their website is completely useless. The links that say where to go on their website from the Answer pages don't work.

The link to the downloads page is broken. The link the the uninstall instructions works. I know this kind of stuff can get frustrating, but If you want to resolve your problem, you should at least follow the instructions in the FAQ. The FAQ tells you how to use the System Profiler to check your device and you can then determine if it is defective. Since the LED is blinking, you might just need to install updated drivers.

You haven't specified the model you are using. It's probably a USA19-HS. You can download the latest drivers here for all models at the link below. Please make sure you get the correct version for your OS.

http://www.keyspan.com/downloads/

Once your device is recognized, you should get a couple new ports and that should solve your other problem.

The link to the downloads page is broken. The link the the uninstall instructions works. I know this kind of stuff can get frustrating, but If you want to resolve your problem, you should at least follow the instructions in the FAQ. The FAQ tells you how to use the System Profiler to check your device and you can then determine if it is defective. Since the LED is blinking, you might just need to install updated drivers.

You haven't specified the model you are using. It's probably a USA19-HS. You can download the latest drivers here for all models at the link below. Please make sure you get the correct version for your OS.

http://www.keyspan.com/downloads/

Once your device is recognized, you should get a couple new ports and that should solve your other problem.

Thanks. The System Profiler FAQ worked and now my computer is recognizing the adapter. (Yes, it is the 19-HS.)

Now I need help getting it to work with GeoJournal or MacCaching. There are two viable choices for serial connection: Keyserial1 or USA19H1a2P1.1

Thanks. The System Profiler FAQ worked and now my computer is recognizing the adapter. (Yes, it is the 19-HS.)

Now I need help getting it to work with GeoJournal or MacCaching. There are two viable choices for serial connection: Keyserial1 or USA19H1a2P1.1

When I replaced my dead keyspan, I went with a cheaper adapter, but if I remember correctly, the two ports you see are the same. Keyspan1 is an alias for USA19H1a2P1.1, so either one should work. I have found that it is usually best to connect the adapter and turn on your GPS before launching the other software, otherwise you may not see the serial port in the software preferences.

When my adapter was working, it worked with both GeoJournal and MacCaching. If you still have problems, you may want to contact the individual developers via their sites.

I got it to work with MacCaching using KeySerial1 but not USA19H1a2P1.1

I cannot get GeoJournal to work. When I set it to KeySerial, the program freezes. When I set it to USA..., it gives me an error message.

I guess that doesn't really matter, though, because I liked MacCaching a bit more. GeoJournal has to many features that I don't actually need.

Thanks for all the help!