Where Will I Be Buried...Check the Coordinates

GIZMODO has a feature regarding a cemetery's plan to use GPSr's to locate a dead loved ones burial plot instead of marking it with a gravestone.

When you die, instead of having your grave marked by granite, you can now peg it to something even more immutable: latitude and longitude.

The idea is part of a trend towards eco-friendly burials. According to an article on Metro.co.uk , the coffins used will be biodegradable and those wishing to visit the site at a later date will need to use GPS coordinates provided by the cemetery.

The burial plots will be located in bush land in a protected koala sanctuary adjacent to the cemetery.

GIZMODO adds the graves, located at Lismore Memorial Park Cemetery in the Northern Rivers of New South Wales, Australia, will be unmarked but recorded in coordinates, and spaced at 5 meters to ensure you're kneeling at the decomposing remains of the right person.

Future Log: *NEEDS MAINTENANCE*

Well, after a long search we finally found the cache! The Coordinates were right on the spot but it was in the middle of no where. Then we found out the cache was burried - I thought this was against Groundspeak rules? This cache definitely needs repair! After digging it up, the box was falling apart.... There was nothing inside but a bunch of tattered clothes and some jewelry. Not much for trade swag. There wasn't even a log either... what a disappointment. =(

GIZMODO has a feature regarding a cemetery's plan to use GPSr's to locate a dead loved ones burial plot instead of marking it with a gravestone.

When you die, instead of having your grave marked by granite, you can now peg it to something even more immutable: latitude and longitude.

The idea is part of a trend towards eco-friendly burials. According to an article on Metro.co.uk , the coffins used will be biodegradable and those wishing to visit the site at a later date will need to use GPS coordinates provided by the cemetery.

The burial plots will be located in bush land in a protected koala sanctuary adjacent to the cemetery.

GIZMODO adds the graves, located at Lismore Memorial Park Cemetery in the Northern Rivers of New South Wales, Australia, will be unmarked but recorded in coordinates, and spaced at 5 meters to ensure you're kneeling at the decomposing remains of the right person.

Or maybe you can cremate them, divide up the ashes, and make a multi out of em?

;) April 22, 2108 by Necrocacher (262 found)

Great cache! Found it quickly. T- shin bone L- golf ball. TFTC

[view this log on a separate page]

Or

:ph34r: April 22, 2108 by Team Plant'em (1453 found)

After a couple minutes of looking I was sure this one was missing. I could see where it went so I left a replacement cache. I left my caching partner as starter swag. TFTH

[view this log on a separate page]

Edited by Totem Clan

Well... Here is where we are going - seriously! Neptune Memorial Reef They have latitude and longitude for people/family to find you and scuba there later on. Maybe we will make it into a geocache - ha :ph34r: although I am not sure where we would put the log... ;)

Oh yea, here are the coordinates, I have tried to see it from the satellite images, no luck so far, although others have said you can see it.

W25 41.412 N80 05.445

Edited by LDove

Well... Here is where we are going - seriously! Neptune Memorial Reef They have latitude and longitude for people/family to find you and scuba there later on. Maybe we will make it into a geocache - ha ;) although I am not sure where we would put the log... :ph34r:

Oh yea, here are the coordinates, I have tried to see it from the satellite images, no luck so far, although others have said you can see it.

W25 41.412 N80 05.445

Oh yeah... go swim with sharks and dead people, now that's a holiday! :)

It was orginally built as a sanctuary also for sea life as well as for scuba enthusiasts. There are several like it including places where they are rebuilding reefs. If you watch the video, it is kinda neat... well in a morbid sort of way I guess :ph34r: At least I am not making myself into a traveling cremated travel bug - although I did think about it... ;)

Future Log: *NEEDS MAINTENANCE*

Well, after a long search we finally found the cache! The Coordinates were right on the spot but it was in the middle of no where. Then we found out the cache was burried - I thought this was against Groundspeak rules? This cache definitely needs repair! After digging it up, the box was falling apart.... There was nothing inside but a bunch of tattered clothes and some jewelry. Not much for trade swag. There wasn't even a log either... what a disappointment. =(

Actually I was a bit more worried about a "Maintenance Perfomed" log....... :ph34r:

You would need to tie the plot to something real like the property corners or a couple of monumnets. Else after an earthquake or after a mere 100 years or so in some locations you can be standing on the wrong plot using your GPS. Plus GPS units are not accurate enough for this anyway. Not unless you use survey grade.

Yeah, but how important is it really that the body be exactly where the marker/waypoint is? After the same amount of time, a physical marker probably isn't much more accurate. Stuff is shifting below the surface, too.

I've been meaning to go to the cemetery where several relatives are buried and get their waymarks. It's a huge place, hard to find everyone.

I don't see why this is any creepier than a standard cemetery. Selling it as 'green', now that's a little bent. Really, why a biodegradable coffin? Probably to make up for not being able to sell you a headstone. Skip the box and go straight to ground, if you truly want an eco-friendly grave. You'll do the surrounding plants a lot more good. And how bad for the environment is a rock anyway?

Brrr! I just got a chill. Someone must have walked over my waypoint.