Best rechargables batteries and Charger?

From what I gather, the Maha Powerex 2700Mah batteries are the highest rated around here, and I think I will be using them unless someone has any other suggestions....

But when it comes to a charger, I realize a cheap-o charger will not cut it, so I am looking at the Maha chargers, and there are a bunch of different ones!

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-c204f...charger-buy.php

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mhc401fs...ternational.php

Those two look to be a descent price, but what do you guys use? Now I will probably be using the charger to recharge my other batteries as well, since right now I have a cruddy energizer one I got a while back, but the main focus for this charger will be for my GPS. I also was wondering what kind of charge times you guys are getting? will those 2700maH charge in 3 hours? 6? overnight? As much of a battery hog the colorado seems to be I would hate for my charge time to be longer than my run time...

Also, some models can be used with a 12volt adapter and recharge in the car, has anyone used one of these?

From what I gather, the Maha Powerex 2700Mah batteries are the highest rated around here, and I think I will be using them unless someone has any other suggestions....

But when it comes to a charger, I realize a cheap-o charger will not cut it, so I am looking at the Maha chargers, and there are a bunch of different ones!

...snip...

I went with a Lacrosse Charger. It's smaller than the Maha charger and gets great ratings as well. I've had no problems with mine and use it with the Maha 2,700 mAh batteries. It's even revived a pair of old sony batteries that I thought for sure were goners.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/la_cros...ery_charger.php

That lacrosse charger you linked looks pretty nice! I like the MAHA MH-C9000 charger, but that lacrosse seems pretty similar, and is on sale right now with 8 extra batteries for my other junk!

thanks for the help guys. looks like I am a Lacrosse charger man!

tcatkins99, did you get the Lacrosse brand batteries with your charger?? are they any good?

Edited by CacheARRRS

That lacrosse charger you linked looks pretty nice! I like the MAHA MH-C9000 charger, but that lacrosse seems pretty similar, and is on sale right now with 8 extra batteries for my other junk!

thanks for the help guys. looks like I am a Lacrosse charger man!

tcatkins99, did you get the Lacrosse brand batteries with your charger?? are they any good?

Yeah I got the one that came with 4x AA 2,400 mah batteries and 4x AAA 800 mah batteries. It also came with a travel case as well.

My decision came down to size, ease of use, and functionality. As best I can tell, both units are quality items and charge/maintain your batteries very well. However, the Maha is a rather large charger compared to the Lacrosse and the reviews I read were a little disconcerting regarding its ease of use. This review comparing the two seems pretty thorough and influenced my decision: http://www.amazon.com/review/R26DDCWZ2JG3H...=cm_cr_rdp_perm

In the end though, I think both units are good and you can't go wrong either way.

The Maha charger recomments charging at no less than 1/3 of the rated capacity so the charger can properly detect a full charge condition. On the 2700 mAh Powerex batteries I charge them at 900 mA -- full charge in under three hours.

The Maha charger requires a few more button presses to set the mode and charge rate, but no big deal once you figure it out. Each battery is charge separately. It also steps through each active charging position and shows you the charge rate, battery voltage and estimated charge in mAh, and when each battery is done, it says so.

After two different Wally-World charger / battery sets for the camera, I decided they were junk and dropped the cash on a good charger. I was not disappointed.

I don't think you can go wrong with either a Maha or Lacrosse charger. I have an eight-cell Maha charger that I like very much.

For batteries I have switched to using low-self-discharge (LSD) NiMH batteries because I got sick of having my rechargables lose so much of their power when just sitting around. If you use up your rechargable batteries more frequently than I do then regular NiMH batteries would do you fine.

Edited by Ferreter5

I don't know what the best is, but I went with convenience :P

$20 at Wal Mart got me a charger and 4 batteries in a kit, with car adapter. 15 minute charger too, happy happy!

I got a cheap charger with batteries and wondered why they did not perform well in my things. Then I got a lacross and tried various batteries I've read about here. You might not like your charger so much when it ruins your batteries. Fast charging = bad. I cringe now when I see those chargers in the stores. For a little more you can get the lacrosse charger and keep on using rechargable batteries.

I use batteries in more than my gps, I am a led headlamp junkie so there's that, plus we have frequent long electrical outages so I like to be prepared for that. My gps and camera use AA's and drain them pretty fast. I was surprized at being able to use my new better batteries in my headlamps, they work great! I don't have to worry about my gps dying, I have charged spares with me always. I can turn on that screen backlight to my hearts content!

I use eneloops, sanyo 2700's and the lacrosse ones that came with my charger. I was going to order more sanyo 2700's but maybe I will try the maha ones. I keep the eneloops as backups since they will stay charged for a long time.