Noob question: can't download coordinates to a Magellan?

crockett3663

I'm brand new to the sport, so forgive me for asking what might be an age old question that has been answered 1,000 times before, but is it NOT possible to download coordinates from geocaching.com to my Magellan GPS? If so, I can't believe that. Magellan is a MAJOR manufacturer of GPS units. I would think that a web site dedicated to using your GPS would be able to make downloads available to ALL GPS makers, not just the most popular brand.

I'm brand new to the sport, so forgive me for asking what might be an age old question that has been answered 1,000 times before, but is it NOT possible to download coordinates from geocaching.com to my Magellan GPS? If so, I can't believe that. Magellan is a MAJOR manufacturer of GPS units. I would think that a web site dedicated to using your GPS would be able to make downloads available to ALL GPS makers, not just the most popular brand.

Garmin provides the browser plugin for downloading to Garmin, and even that doesn't work with all Garmin units. If Magellan would provide a browser plugin for Magellan units, I'm pretty sure that Geocaching.com would support it.

As a workaround you can download the .LOC file and use EasyGPS to load the coordinates to your Magellan. You can also use GPSBabel to do this. There is a way to associate .LOC with GPSBabel and set it up so if you click the download .LOC button, it will download the file and automatically rund GPSBabel to load the coordinates to your Magellan.

Currently, as mentioned in the message above this, you can use programs like EasyGPS or (my preference) GSAK and download the loc files directly into the program and then into your GPS. Gsak (and possibly EasyGPS) also allow you do manipulate the data in many ways to help you. I'm not sure if as a "member" you can download the GPX files which Premium members get, however the GPX files contain a lot more information about a given cache than using the loc files.

Were you to become a premium member, you can use Pocket Queries, which allows you to download batches of waypoints, up to 2500 a day, which you can then manipulate in programs like the ones mentioned and download into your Magellan. All this for $3 a month or $30 a year.

Yes, it does seems at times like Geocaching.com is skewed toward Garmin, and in many ways they may be. They have a good working relationship and Garmin includes many features in their units to support the hobby. However other units do work just a nicely.

Edited by baloo&bd

Depends on your Magellan version. Magellan Explorists 100, 200 & 300 - no, they can't be connected to your computer; you have to enter coords manually. Magellan Explorists 210, 400, 500, & 600 - yes. You'd have to check on other Magellan GPS units - these are the ones I know.

I assume you have the data cable for the Triton. I forget if the 300 comes with it. Since you have a Triton, you have to use the VantagePoint program that should have come in the box with your receiver. If you can't find the disc, get VantagePoint here (need to have a Magellan.com login account).

Edited by geognerd

I am also a newbie. I have a Magellan Triton 1500. All of the above posts are greek to me.

I just want to enter the coordinates for the site into my GPS, and go there. I have not been able to do so. When I enter the coordinates, I get an error message saying the entry is not valid. I found another post where someone else who had the same problem. I didn't understand the reply and still am not able to enter the coordinates.

I am not a computer or GPS newbie. We had a GPS unit for our boat years ago. You entered your coordinates into it, pushed go and in seconds you had your directions. Now 15 plus years later with new technology, I can't figure out how to do this on this new GPS.

If I sign up for the premium membership will I be able to download the coordinates to my unit?

Sorry to sound frustrated but I am. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm new, too, and using a Magellan 4250 (I think those numbers are right). I couldn't figure out a way to enter the coordinates directly, but the instructions in the manual explained a way to do it. I put the CD in that came with the unit into our computer and it created a Magellan file on my desktop. I have to click on "other conversions" on the cache page to get decimal coordinates that I can enter into the desktop file. I enter the name of the cache & the coordinates, then download that file to an SD card. I put the SD card in the GPS and away we go! Takes a fair amount of time when we want to do a lot of caches, but gets the job done. If anyone has any other advice for me, please feel free!

Thanks djds clan. I haven't tried out your suggestion yet and it DOES seem like a lot of trouble but at least I know it's not me! My Magellan is brand new with a return policy from Walmart so I think mine is going back and I will get a GARMIN. I have a Garmin for the car and love it so I guess I should stay with what I know.

This should be fun and to be fun it needs to be easy!

On the tritons download vantagepoint and install it.

The easiest way for a premium member is to set a PQ of the area they want to cache in, they can unzip the PQ and drag it to vantagepoint, plug the gps in and turn it on, it should be recognized click on my gps then transfer from pc to gps it should load the gps with the caches,

for the non premium member you'll have to load loc. files which just give you the basic information on the cache.

It's well worth the $30.00 dollars a year just for the gpx files which will give you all the information that is on the cache page and the tritons can load all that information

On the tritons download vantagepoint and install it.

The easiest way for a premium member is to set a PQ of the area they want to cache in, they can unzip the PQ and drag it to vantagepoint, plug the gps in and turn it on, it should be recognized click on my gps then transfer from pc to gps it should load the gps with the caches,

for the non premium member you'll have to load loc. files which just give you the basic information on the cache.

It's well worth the $30.00 dollars a year just for the gpx files which will give you all the information that is on the cache page and the tritons can load all that information

Thanks for the reply, however being a newbie I don't what you are talking about. What is a PQ, and what is vantagepoint?

I haven't mastered all the lingo yet. I just want to enter a coordinate into my GPS and hit go. I did this on a GPS 15 years ago I used on a boat. It worked easy and I could go back to the same dive spot week after week. I don't understand why these new units are so much more difficult.

... I just want to enter a coordinate into my GPS and hit go. I did this on a GPS 15 years ago I used on a boat. It worked easy and I could go back to the same dive spot week after week. I don't understand why these new units are so much more difficult.

Have you tried reading through the user manual?

Starting on page 30, it details how to create a Waypoint in a number of ways. And starting on page 36, it describes using Geocache waypoints.

This forum is really more for web site related questions, but I will go ahead and help out a bit instead of moving this topic.

Vantagepoint is Magellan software for managing maps and waypoints and other GPS related data (tracks, routes, etc).

http://www.magellangps.com/products/map.asp?PRODID=1903

A PQ is a Pocket Query. Premium Members can have files sent to them containing up to 500 waypoints. You can search the site based on several types of criteria. Files sent to you are a .gpx format, which contains waypoint coordinates, descriptions, 5 latest logs and basically everything you see on a normal cache page. You have to have certain devices and/or software to see all of that information. For example, the Garmin Colorado and Oregon display all information on the cache page right on the GPS (but only 5 logs, like I say).

This site has a lot of information on Pocket Queries.

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

... I just want to enter a coordinate into my GPS and hit go. I did this on a GPS 15 years ago I used on a boat. It worked easy and I could go back to the same dive spot week after week. I don't understand why these new units are so much more difficult.

Have you tried reading through the user manual?

Starting on page 30, it details how to create a Waypoint in a number of ways. And starting on page 36, it describes using Geocache waypoints.

Thanks Motorcycle Mama. Of course I tried the manual. It did not come with the unit but I downloaded and printed it. First of all, it only has 27 pages. 2nd of all, I did follow the directions to enter a lat/lon coordinate and got an error message that the number was invalid. That is my problem. I entered correct numbers. I have since read of others having this same problem with this unit. My instruction manual is written very poorly. It gives you step by step instructions then stops before you are finished. Or it shows a screen you do not get and no instructions on how to get to that particular screen

This forum is really more for web site related questions, but I will go ahead and help out a bit instead of moving this topic.

Vantagepoint is Magellan software for managing maps and waypoints and other GPS related data (tracks, routes, etc).

http://www.magellangps.com/products/map.asp?PRODID=1903

A PQ is a Pocket Query. Premium Members can have files sent to them containing up to 500 waypoints. You can search the site based on several types of criteria. Files sent to you are a .gpx format, which contains waypoint coordinates, descriptions, 5 latest logs and basically everything you see on a normal cache page. You have to have certain devices and/or software to see all of that information. For example, the Garmin Colorado and Oregon display all information on the cache page right on the GPS (but only 5 logs, like I say).

This site has a lot of information on Pocket Queries.

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Thank you for your help. I will check out these sites.

... I did follow the directions to enter a lat/lon coordinate and got an error message that the number was invalid. That is my problem. I entered correct numbers.

This is probably because your GPS is set to use DD MM SS.S instead of the DD MM.MMM that the site uses.

For instance, take these coords in DD MM.MMM format:

N 38° 57.949 W 121° 07.832

Try to enter them as DD MM SS.S and it won't work because you'd be trying to enter 94 and 83 seconds and there are only 60 seconds in a minute, so you get an error. You would have to convert the above numbers to

N 38° 57 56.9 W 121° 07 49.9

Easiest solution is to go into the Setup or Options screen in your GPS and change the format it uses to DD MM.MMM.

Edit to add a link to this webpage which explains the differences between formats and how to convert between them. Ignore the first paragraph as it doesn't apply to geocaching.com. Geocaching.com stores coords in it's database as DD.DDDDD and that's also how you'll see it inside a PQ.

Edited by Lil Devil

New to the game also, My roommate bought an Etrex and it works great with the Send to GPS feature. I just ordered an old Garmin GPS III. Anyone know of a list of which gps units from Garmin work with the Send to feature? I need to get the serial cable for it, and probably a usb adapter too first off, but just curious what the chances of success are with the feature working, or if Ill have to use one of the other programs. I searched the forums and came up short with answers. If I have missed anything can someone point me in the right direction?

New to the game also, My roommate bought an Etrex and it works great with the Send to GPS feature. I just ordered an old Garmin GPS III. Anyone know of a list of which gps units from Garmin work with the Send to feature? I need to get the serial cable for it, and probably a usb adapter too first off, but just curious what the chances of success are with the feature working, or if Ill have to use one of the other programs. I searched the forums and came up short with answers. If I have missed anything can someone point me in the right direction?

From Garmin's Communicator Plugin FAQs:

Q. Does the Communicator work with all Garmin devices?

A. No, the Communicator works best with devices that connect to a computer via USB cable.

While some devices that connect to a computer via serial cable or serial-USB adapter will work with the Communicator, they are not officially supported and we cannot guarantee compatibility or provide customer support.

Maybe this will help out some Triton users...

How to get caches off the website and into the unit...

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton is…

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

4. Distance from current location

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

What you will not get is…

Size of the cache; I work the size into the file name when I save it; I tack on a 1-5(1 smallest, 4 is biggest, 5 is mystery)

Example: A cache named: Mountain Top and it’s a micro

I would name the file: Mountain Top1.gpx