It's easier to see the intended route

Cons:

If one has to be archived it looks strange

Can give the impression that the setter couldn't be bothered

Makes it difficult to recall each individual cache when logging finds

B ) Individual name for each cache

Pros:

If one has to be archived, it's not so noticeable

Cachers won't feel obliged to do find than they are comfortable with... perhaps ;)

Cons:

Can take lot of effort thinking up individual and relevant names

C) Alphabetically ordered unique names

Pros:

It's fairly easy to see the intended route

If one has to be archived, it's not so noticeable

Cachers won't feel obliged to do find than they are comfortable with... perhaps :)

Cons:

A major challenge for the setter I suspect :ph34r:

Any comments?

Edited by Delta68

I think the answer is any of the above. Personally I prefer a series name, then a unique name for each of the caches - something about either the hide or the location. I can work out the route for myself.

Philip

Edited by pklong

Personally I prefer a series name, then a unique name for each of the caches - something about either the hide or the location.

I also hate it when you have:

The cache series name - then additional unique name

Hmm... conflicting ideals I think.

I suppose it depends what GPS you're using....

When I set a series at the end of last year, I used the format

1 Series Name Cache Name

Because the first character is a number, it is always easy to follow them round in the correct order, and also get the correct log against the appropriate cache. I have had lots of positive feedback from cachers for doing it this way.

BTW, I also have several other caches which are part of a series. I named them in the format Cache Name followed by Series Name, because the Smart name that GSAK comes up with would be more unique that way (hopefully).

Oh bum :ph34r: I didn't think of the GPS shortening the name when I set ours. We have the series name then each cache name.

I haven't found out why but in two series that I have done, the names on the GPS are mixed up with co-ordinates from another cache in the same series. I had the PDFs and ended up having to check through the co-ords to see which one we were looking for. It's not a huge problem but a bit confusing.

When I set a series at the end of last year, I used the format

1 Series Name Cache Name

Because the first character is a number, it is always easy to follow them round in the correct order, and also get the correct log against the appropriate cache. I have had lots of positive feedback from cachers for doing it this way.

BTW, I also have several other caches which are part of a series. I named them in the format Cache Name followed by Series Name, because the Smart name that GSAK comes up with would be more unique that way (hopefully).

I like this method - one of the biggest problems we had with Series Name, Cache Name is using Smart Names with GSAK (old style etrex, 6 character limit)

This came to a head in Oxford with the University Challenge Series AND the Universally Challenged Series. We ended up with 30 something caches all called UNIVEx which wasn't very helpful! Oh the fun we had... :ph34r:;)

I had this dilemma the other week. The solution drsolly and I came up with was a short series name (Nexus) followed by a number (1-5) and then a name to make it more memorable. We tried to ensure GPSrs would display the titles in a meaningful way while not losing some of the fun of individual titles. Personally I've always enjoyed coming up with cache names :ph34r:

I name my own caches by either the area they are in, the theme of the puzzle, the way they are hidden and for a joint hide its called so because of a long story between the two of us friends. I think a series like Loddon valley: Tree swing and Loddon valley: river hideout is better for a cache for archival reasons, and makes them a tad more personal.

...a short series name (Nexus) followed by a number (1-5) and then a name to make it more memorable.

I like this idea!

It would keep a series of caches grouped together nicely

We don't normally have a problem thinking of cache names. All our early caches were always two words to make them more memorable and have only strayed from this rule when a longer name was more logical.

On two occasions they are just anagrams of the location ;)

Our puzzle cache names are usually either a clue or deliberately vague.... B)