Paper GeoCoins

TeamSeekAndWeShallFind

Just wanted to get some opinions on the practice of paper GeoCoins.That is making a paper copy of your GeoCoin,laminating it and putting it out there for cachers to move along like an actual coin. We've come across 3 of these now and in our opinion it's a bit insulting.Each time we questioned the coin's owners they all said the same thing,"The actual coin is in our posession.We didn't want to put it out there for fear it would be stolen." Granted,there are GeoCoin thieves out there but we think the huge majority of GeoCachers are honest people who would never steal someone else's property ! This is very insulting and in our opinion,if you don't trust your fellow cachers you shouldn't be in the sport or if you don't trust us,keep your coin to yourself but don't insult our honesty and integrity by putting a paper copy out there and expect us to move it.Also,all 3 paper coin pages showed a photo of the actual coin NOT the paper copy and none of the 3 stated we would find a paper copy ! We won't move a paper GeoCoin copy.We won't even log that we've seen it in a cache ! To us they're non-existent.

Short story on how we came to really dislike these things.We started caching last July.We planned our first big cache hunt outing in August to Saw-Wee-Kee Park where one of the caches held a certain Alaskan Wolf GeoCoin,or so we thought.We couldn't wait to see it because it would be our first coin.We get to the park and it's pouring rain and I mean POURING!! We trekked through some of the worst terrain you've ever seen,mud up to our ankles,soaked to the bone,rainin' so bad we couldn't even see !Then the lightning started,pretty brutal stuff ! We decide we're gonna cut our outing short and grab the cache with the coin before heading home because we would at least go home with something that made the whole thing worthwhile.We get to it,we're diggin' through the Ammo box and there's nothin' but a piece of paper with a photo of the coin!! We were so disappointed and we just stood there staring at eachother like "What is this ? " ! Upon return home we wrote to the owners about our trek and what we hiked through just to see their coin and how disappointed we were etc... etc...and we also left a log about our experience and yes,anger,on the coin's page.Well, the owners deleted our log and reported us to the site for not liking their paper coin !!! Since then we just have a real bad taste in our mouths about the whole practice. It's just plain wrong,insulting and almost kind of rude !

We've seen some really cool coins since then as we just reached 300 finds yesterday and we think there's something special about each one and the way they feel in your hand don't you agree ? We LOVE retrieving GeoCoins because other than the beauty of the journey and each individual cache hunt experience,they're the real treasure !

That's just our opinion. What's yours ? Thank you,TSAWSF

There's been many a discussion on this before, course I don't feel like finding them, so.... Short answer is I don't like them at all. If you insist on putting one out, please clearly label it in the coin title and throughout the page so I know I'm going out for a fake! (Not u of course, but anyone who is reading this and decides to do it)

You are taking personally what isn't intended to be personal. I lock my doors. My neighbors don't take it as an insult to their integrity and that of their children. It's not personal. It's my choice..

The practice is fine. The coin owner can send out a proxy at their own discretion. It's a courtesy if they note on the tracking page that the coin doing the traveling is a proxy. I recommend that they do.

As for trecking to find paper. My first few coin finds were to caches that didn't even have the paper. Just the icon on the cache page that said something should be there that wasn't. Life happens.

Granted,there are GeoCoin thieves out there but we think the huge majority of GeoCachers are honest people who would never steal someone else's property ! This is very insulting and in our opinion,if you don't trust your fellow cachers you shouldn't be in the sport or if you don't trust us,keep your coin to yourself but don't insult our honesty and integrity by putting a paper copy out there and expect us to move it.Also,all 3 paper coin pages showed a photo of the actual coin NOT the paper copy and none of the 3 stated we would find a paper copy ! We won't move a paper GeoCoin copy.We won't even log that we've seen it in a cache ! To us they're non-existent.

How many coins have you released? How many of those have been stolen?

Look - I share your opinion that proxies are a disappointment when compared to seeing the real coin. Personally, I have never released a proxy and I probably never will. That being said the first coin my family released to the wild was stolen in less than 3 weeks. Talk about disappointment.

I think the majority of Geocachers are honest, friendly people who go out of their way to make caching a great experience for one and all. But like any group of people, there will be a few who spoil it for the rest.

So feel insulted if that makes you feel better. Post disgruntled notes to the owners of the proxy if that makes you feel better. But until you've been on the other side of the - pardon the pun - coin, perhaps you'd have a bit more compassion for those who don't wish to see their coins taken and yet still wish to at least share the icon and watch their proxy travel.

And hey - as someone who enjoys releasing coins, I'm always happy to see others do likewise so why not join in the fun and release some yourself!

:ph34r:

TeamSeekAndWeShallFind - I'll just throw my two cents in here. I noticed you don't have any trackables yourself so let me tell you a story. I have placed exactly two trackables out in the wild and you know how far each one has traveled? If you guessed zero miles you are exactly right. One was last year when I was on the Mainland and the other was just before this Christmas here in Hawai'i. I fully expect them to get nabbed at some point but not out of the very first cache they are placed into.

On a personal note, I do think it is total BS if the geocacher doesn't identify the geocoin is a copy in the title or at least somewhere in the description.

They're called Proxies and I agree that they should be so labelled in their names but the use of them is a sign of the times.

You can't just blame coin thieves for the loss of coins that prompts some owners to release cheap imitations instead of the real thing. Not rehiding the cache as the cache owner would have placed it, not being careful to avoid detection by muggles while extracting a cache and introducing geocaching to noobs without proper instruction is also to blame for coin losses or cache losses with coins in them.

Granted,there are GeoCoin thieves out there but we think the huge majority of GeoCachers are honest people who would never steal someone else's property ! This is very insulting and in our opinion,if you don't trust your fellow cachers you shouldn't be in the sport or if you don't trust us,keep your coin to yourself but don't insult our honesty and integrity by putting a paper copy out there and expect us to move it.Also,all 3 paper coin pages showed a photo of the actual coin NOT the paper copy and none of the 3 stated we would find a paper copy ! We won't move a paper GeoCoin copy.We won't even log that we've seen it in a cache ! To us they're non-existent.

Look - I share your opinion that proxies are a disappointment when compared to seeing the real coin. Personally, I have never released a proxy and I probably never will. That being said the first coin my family released to the wild was stolen in less than 3 weeks. Talk about disappointment.

I think the majority of Geocachers are honest, friendly people who go out of their way to make caching a great experience for one and all. But like any group of people, there will be a few who spoil it for the rest.

So feel insulted if that makes you feel better. Post disgruntled notes to the owners of the proxy if that makes you feel better. But until you've been on the other side of the - pardon the pun - coin, perhaps you'd have a bit more compassion for those who don't wish to see their coins taken and yet still wish to at least share the icon and watch their proxy travel.

And hey - as someone who enjoys releasing coins, I'm always happy to see others do likewise so why not join in the fun and release some yourself!

The whole notion of a "proxy" photocopy of a coin is sad. In my mind it is almost the same as someone "discovering" a coin by copying the tracking number from a shared list. If I have not seen and touched the actual coin, I have no interest in logging a "discovery" or a "move".

I have released a fair number of coins. I know that eventually all of them will disappear. That is just the nature of the game. Coins that I want to keep, I do not release. I am not about to release photocopies.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply to our topic.You're right,we haven't released any coins.We also haven't hid any caches yet but I'll tell you this,if we do decide to release coins we would release THE ACTUAL COIN and not a photocopy of our coin.If it gets stolen it gets stolen but then you decide to either release another or nothing at all. You can't have it both ways,you either put a coin out or you don't.

If people are going to be so untrusting of the majority of us,then they need to keep their coins locked up in a safety deposit box or something. It's not like they cost a fortune or anything that you would have to insult others honesty and integrity just to protect this thing.

The owners of the Alaskan coin I spoke of actually said "The actual coin stays home with us and we hang it on our Christmas tree every year." Do you want to know what my response to that was ? I said "So,we're out here in the elements trekkin' around in the rain and the mud hunting a cache to check out your coin and you actually have it hanging on your Christmas Tree ?? " Are you kidding ? C'mon.Not only that but guess what? If you would've told me it was fake from the start we wouldn't have bothered and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Really think about this. It's ridiculous ! Guess what ? If you're not gonna put the real deal out here don't bother.What do paper coin people think,that their coin is so spectacular and the rest of us want to see it so bad that we're gonna settle for a paper copy ? No way. Move a piece of paper ? Get real. If you don't trust me with your coin I'm certainly not gonna move your fake.

Point to Ponder....I wonder what the Pirates would've thought after searching for treasures,the gold and silver coins,braving the elements to find the treasure and then opening the box to find only a photo of the treasure ??? Do you think they would've been mad ?

Just a question. Do you really think caching is all about what you find inside the cache?

I love coins - LOVE them. But caching for me isn't about what's in the cache. Sorry you seem so worked up about it and seem to be taking it so personally. It really doesn't have anything to do with you at all.

I do agree it would be better to find the real thing. And I also agree that the person who is putting out the proxy should state it as such on their proxy-coin's page. That seems only fair.

But I still don't see why this is so upsetting to you. If you want to be upset, try having a coin stolen and then you'll know upset.

But that is the chance I take when I choose to release a coin. And the chance you (and I) take when we go caching is to find something cool inside the cache or not....and to enjoy the journey and the find - or not. You can't control the actions of others - you can only control you. And that is life.

[edit] Not sure why the OP keeps copying and posting my text without a response. It's making this thread feel rather disjointed. Oh well.

Edited by ThePetersTrio

The whole notion of a "proxy" photocopy of a coin is sad. In my mind it is almost the same as someone "discovering" a coin by copying the tracking number from a shared list. If I have not seen and touched the actual coin, I have no interest in logging a "discovery" or a "move".

I have released a fair number of coins. I know that eventually all of them will disappear. That is just the nature of the game. Coins that I want to keep, I do not release. I am not about to release photocopies.

Cheers

THANK YOU UncleJimbo ! Finally,someone who sees it like we do ! You stated our thoughts EXACTLY and perfectly ! While we're on the subject,how about TB's that are just a dog tag with nothing attached to them ?? Is it just me or is that kind of annoying too ? You mean to tell me these folks couldn't find a cool little item to attache to the chain ? Moving a lame dog tag with nothing attached to it is as bad as moving a paper geocoin ! Again,just our opinion.

Just a question. Do you really think caching is all about what you find inside the cache?

I love coins - LOVE them. But caching for me isn't about what's in the cache. Sorry you seem so worked up about it and seem to be taking it so personally. It really doesn't have anything to do with you at all.

I do agree it would be better to find the real thing. And I also agree that the person who is putting out the proxy should state it as such on their proxy-coin's page. That seems only fair.

But I still don't see why this is so upsetting to you. If you want to be upset, try having a coin stolen and then you'll know upset.

But that is the chance I take when I choose to release a coin. And the chance you (and I) take when we go caching is to find something cool inside the cache or not....and to enjoy the journey and the find - or not. You can't control the actions of others - you can only control you. And that is life.

[edit] Not sure why the OP keeps copying and posting my text without a response. It's making this thread feel rather disjointed. Oh well.

Thanks for responding to our topic but in response to your asking me if that's what caching is all about,what's in the cache, I believe I said that "aside from the journey and the individual experience at each cache,the geocoin is the treasure."

Thanks for responding to our topic but in response to your asking me if that's what caching is all about,what's in the cache, I believe I said that "aside from the journey and the individual experience at each cache,the geocoin is the treasure."

Do you expect to find a geocoin in every cache then?

I take your point and stand corrected but I still don't understand why you are taking this so personally. If you don't like proxies (and I'm starting to get that - LoL) then don't move them. Simple as that. :ph34r:

Also,aside from not reading my entire initial post,if you check our gallery you'll see that I've contributed hundreds of photos during our short time as cachers,most of which portray the beauty of the places we've been which obviously demonstrates that of course,the most important thing is not what's in the cache but the journey and the experience.You kinda missed my point but thank you.

I wasn't going to do this but I had to add my 3 cents worth. I had a special coin tag that I had made and was putting it out for very special Hero's. Well I sold quit a few and gave a lot away. Then the emails started, Is there any way I can have the dog tag replaced as it was stolen before it got it's first mile. (not youGeocaching-Geckos ) Well the dog tags are not like the one's you get from Groundspeak that have original and a copy. ( WHATS THE COPY FOR) I really don't know other than to release it after your original gets stolen. Only Thing I could come up with was to make a Pictures tag of the Hero ((like the ones I send out with the tag that has that persons Hero on it))) and on the back put the number. The deal is when You buy a tag from me , I put another one out in my state of the Hero you want. Well I decided since they were getting stolen, the ones I put out here in my state for the Hero is a copy. The original will go to a family member of that soldier. I don't keep the original. I have 229 out right now and only about 1/8 of them are copies. I have no problem moving a copy as I know there just might have a great looking icon. and thats one more notch in my belt. If you don't want to move a copy thats fine someone will. Biggest disappointment I had was the dang cache was muggled ,after walking in the pouring rain, mud slick hills for a mile, now thats a disappointment. I could care less what is in the cache I just want to find it. If there is something that needs to be moved I try and move it. And with that I'm done .USA 45

I take your point and stand corrected but I still don't understand why you are taking this so personally. If you don't like proxies (and I'm starting to get that - LoL) then don't move them. Simple as that. :ph34r:

I'm sorry but you are TOTALLY missing the point.Do I expect to find a geocoin in every cache? Of course not and I'm not sure what that question has to do with the topic and as far as me taking it personally,all cachers should take it personally because people who put paper coins(that's what I call them),out there are saying to each and every one of us "Hey you,I don't trust you with my real coin but here's a picture of it.Will you move it along on my behalf and not think about the fact that I DON'T TRUST YOU enough to allow to handle the real thing??" Get real.Personal? Yeah,it's personal. Look at it like this.The sport of GeoCaching is pretty much all about trust isn't it? You hide a cache and you trust that people aren't gonna log it if they didn't find it right ? You trust them right ? You're not gonna run out to check the log everytime someone logs your cache on the site right ? How about this topic,which by the way turned into a real fiasco on another caching site in the forum...How about cachers who can't find the hard ones and so they call the cache owner for clues and hints and then they go out to GZ with the owner of the cache,find it and log the FTF ??? Isn't that cheating ? It is in our opinion. We've been jipped out of so many first to finds it's not even funny. We live for 5 star difficulty micros and everytime we find one there's a group of people on the log claiming the FTF who called the owner for clues and then all went out together to get it. We recently found an evil little micro that's hidden in a place where no human should ever lay eyes on it. This micro was all the talk on another caching site and the guy who went to GZ for 4.5 hours and couldn't find it started a thread asking for help and also called the cache owner for a clue.He and the group went out the next day with the cache owner and found it and logged the FTF.Do you think that's fair and honest ? The two of us went out and 25 minutes later had the cache in hand.No help.No clues.No owner with us at GZ.Found it fair and square.Who deserves the FTF? Us or them ? Probably a whole other topic but I couldn't help myself . thanks

My 'newbie' take is that paper coins are fine as long as the owner is disciplined enough not to release another one just because it hasn't moved in a few weeks.

I believe one and only one paper version is ok. If it dies it dies, you still have your original coin - retire it and log it's miles or whatever it is you want to do with it.

I currently have 5 travel bugs out and about and I also purchased 4 coins, one limited edition for each kid that we will keep and one non-limited edition that we will release whenever we find the right cache to place it in.

That's how 'I' Geocache... but I'm not going to force my way on anyone else. Bottom line, it's supposed to be fun - lighten up and don't take something simple and make it difficult.

I wasn't going to do this but I had to add my 3 cents worth. I had a special coin tag that I had made and was putting it out for very special Hero's. Well I sold quit a few and gave a lot away. Then the emails started, Is there any way I can have the dog tag replaced as it was stolen before it got it's first mile. (not youGeocaching-Geckos ) Well the dog tags are not like the one's you get from Groundspeak that have original and a copy. ( WHATS THE COPY FOR) I really don't know other than to release it after your original gets stolen. Only Thing I could come up with was to make a Pictures tag of the Hero ((like the ones I send out with the tag that has that persons Hero on it))) and on the back put the number. The deal is when You buy a tag from me , I put another one out in my state of the Hero you want. Well I decided since they were getting stolen, the ones I put out here in my state for the Hero is a copy. The original will go to a family member of that soldier. I don't keep the original. I have 229 out right now and only about 1/8 of them are copies. I have no problem moving a copy as I know there just might have a great looking icon. and thats one more notch in my belt. If you don't want to move a copy thats fine someone will. Biggest disappointment I had was the dang cache was muggled ,after walking in the pouring rain, mud slick hills for a mile, now thats a disappointment. I could care less what is in the cache I just want to find it. If there is something that needs to be moved I try and move it. And with that I'm done .USA 45

I appreciate your response and I'll make my reply to what you've said brief. I couldn't care less what's in a cache either and believe me I've found many with nothin' more than a dirty golf ball so that's not the point.When I'm preparing my route and there is a cache on my route that supposedly has a GeoCoin in it,that makes the find all that much sweeter don't you think ? Then I'm expecting to find a coin and all I get is a lousy piece of paper ? We've gone out all day and found 10-15-20 & most recently 27 in one day and sometimes don't even find one piece of decent swag,that's not the point.When you tell me you have a coin out there I expect to find just that,a coin. If you put a piece of paper out there then that's what you need to tell folks.Maybe that's the part that chaps my hide more than the actual paper coin itself,the not telling people and maybe they don't tell people on the coin's page because they actually know their paper coin is lame and if they say it up front nobody's gonna wanna look for it and then it's chance of getting moved really slims down.Bottom line is we're not ever gonna move anybody's lame paper GeoCoin and the people who put em' out there can come out and move it themselves.Like I said earlier,we won't even log that we've seen one of those because to us,they're non-existent. thanks

If that's how you play, fine... so be it.

Have fun.

If it makes you feel better not moving paper coins, sweet! Someone else hopefully will because maybe there's a little kid out there who owns that coin and although they sent a paper copy they still want to see how far it can go.

People like you have just as much right to leave it sit as other people have to send a paper copy, to each their own.

To me it's a fun hobby and I don't get all worked up over it. I'd much rather find a paper coin than some of the stuff I've found as 'swag' (wine cork for example), but whatever... finding the cache was the fun part. Regardless, a traveler would get passed along anyway... not like it's there for me to keep, what do I care.

Edited by XopherN71

I think we get how you feel, you have stated it often enough. Not everyone feels the same way. I respect your opinion but please respect that others may feel differently and it is quite permissable to place a proxy coin in a cache, I do think the coins page should indicate that it is a proxy - but this is not mandatory. The degree of your disappointment is evident - if I were you I would not go looking for coins in the first place if it is going to get you so riled up. Go look for a cache, and if the contents are lame, trade up and improve the cache for the next to find.

I think we get how you feel, you have stated it often enough. Not everyone feels the same way. I respect your opinion but please respect that others may feel differently and it is quite permissable to place a proxy coin in a cache, I do think the coins page should indicate that it is a proxy - but this is not mandatory. The degree of your disappointment is evident - if I were you I would not go looking for coins in the first place if it is going to get you so riled up. Go look for a cache, and if the contents are lame, trade up and improve the cache for the next to find.

You know,it's comments like this that typically keep us away from forums.We opened the topic for discussion.If you don't like our opinion on it you could've kept going from the get go but you didn't.You didn't like what we said or how we said it but you decided to contribut to the discussion only to be a wiseacre. Everybody has something to beef about and this is something we're beefing about.If you don't like that we're beefing about it then move on.If you don't like the show turn the channel,it's that simple. If you go back to the beginning,we stated our views and thoughts and then we said "That's our opinion on paper coins,what's yours?" We didn't ask you what's your opinion on our opinion did we ? No we didn't. We simply wanted others to say what they thought about THE TOPIC,not us ! No kidding everyone doesn't feel the same but you haven't seen us attack anyone because of THEIR OPINION have you ? And again,by making a statement that we "shouldn't go looking for coins in the first place if it's gonna get us all riled up",is ridiculous. Again,go back to my logs and read the whole thing.I said we've found more caches with nothin' in em just like everyone else but when there's a cache on our route that's supposed to have a geocoin then that makes the find sweeter and I expect to find a coin NOT A PIECE OF PAPER ! We'll do a route of 100 caches knowing every container is empty,who cares but if you say you have a coin in one of those 100 caches then that's what I expect to find.If you say you have a fake coin in the cache then say you have a fake coin and I'll be expecting to find a fake coin.Do you get it now ? Someone earlier who disagrees with us said something like 'what if the paper coin belongs to a kid and he has the real coin at home but he just wants to see how far the fake will go." Alright,since we're bringing kids into it. What if you took your kid on the way to a cache and you told him/her they were gonna get to see their first GeoCoin there.Then you get there,you kid is all excited to hold the coin,look at the coin,feel the coin but all he gets is a lousy piece of paper with a picture of the coin. Guess what ? Your kid is gonna be disappointed right ? Well maybe we're like 2 little kids and when we don't get the real coin we're bummed and disappointed. There,how's that ?

Have fun.

If it makes you feel better not moving paper coins, sweet! Someone else hopefully will because maybe there's a little kid out there who owns that coin and although they sent a paper copy they still want to see how far it can go.

People like you have just as much right to leave it sit as other people have to send a paper copy, to each their own.

To me it's a fun hobby and I don't get all worked up over it. I'd much rather find a paper coin than some of the stuff I've found as 'swag' (wine cork for example), but whatever... finding the cache was the fun part. Regardless, a traveler would get passed along anyway... not like it's there for me to keep, what do I care.

Hmmm, sounds familiar. Xopher, the more we try, the more it's the same, eh? :ph34r:

Have fun.

Thanks for your response.Now here's our response to your response.You bring up the scenario about the kid right ? Ok.What if you were going to the cache with the supposed coin and it was the first time you and your kid were gonna see/pick up a coin.All the way there your kid is excited about seeing his first geocoin.Then you get to the cache and all your kid gets is a lousy piece of paper with a picture of the coin on it ! Guaranteed your kid is gonna be bummed and totally disappointed and I would love to hear you explain the Proxy nonsense thing to him ! Yeah right,your kid's gonna get it ! So you see,it goes both ways doesn't it. Either way,we have a disappointed kid don't we and wether that kid is 4,14 or 40 it doesn't matter !! Fake coins disappoint period and that's why the folks who put em' out need to be upfront about what they're putting out there. Another thing I guarantee is there are a lot more folks out in the geocaching world that will tell you they think the paper coin is lame than there are people who are gonna say they think it's fine ! thanks

Wow.

Life is full of disappointments, the rewards make up for them.

I for one don't give my kid false hope, just because it says there's a coin in there doesn't mean there is one... it's quite possible someone grabbed it and hasn't logged it yet. In the rare chance we found a paper one I would just explain to her what the reason might be, she'd say 'cool' and we'd continue on.

No harm, no foul... life goes on.

Remember, if you post something out on a public forum you take your chances... you're not always going to get the replies you hoped for, just the nature of the beast - people have an opinion and are willing to share it, fitting or not.

Cheers and uh, happy caching? :ph34r:

Edited by XopherN71

You know,it's comments like this that typically keep us away from forums.We opened the topic for discussion.If you don't like our opinion on it you could've kept going from the get go but you didn't.You didn't like what we said or how we said it but you decided to contribut to the discussion only to be a wiseacre. Everybody has something to beef about and this is something we're beefing about.If you don't like that we're beefing about it then move on.If you don't like the show turn the channel,it's that simple. If you go back to the beginning,we stated our views and thoughts and then we said "That's our opinion on paper coins,what's yours?" We didn't ask you what's your opinion on our opinion did we ? No we didn't. We simply wanted others to say what they thought about THE TOPIC,not us ! No kidding everyone doesn't feel the same but you haven't seen us attack anyone because of THEIR OPINION have you ? And again,by making a statement that we "shouldn't go looking for coins in the first place if it's gonna get us all riled up",is ridiculous. Again,go back to my logs and read the whole thing.I said we've found more caches with nothin' in em just like everyone else but when there's a cache on our route that's supposed to have a geocoin then that makes the find sweeter and I expect to find a coin NOT A PIECE OF PAPER ! We'll do a route of 100 caches knowing every container is empty,who cares but if you say you have a coin in one of those 100 caches then that's what I expect to find.If you say you have a fake coin in the cache then say you have a fake coin and I'll be expecting to find a fake coin.Do you get it now ? Someone earlier who disagrees with us said something like 'what if the paper coin belongs to a kid and he has the real coin at home but he just wants to see how far the fake will go." Alright,since we're bringing kids into it. What if you took your kid on the way to a cache and you told him/her they were gonna get to see their first GeoCoin there.Then you get there,you kid is all excited to hold the coin,look at the coin,feel the coin but all he gets is a lousy piece of paper with a picture of the coin. Guess what ? Your kid is gonna be disappointed right ? Well maybe we're like 2 little kids and when we don't get the real coin we're bummed and disappointed. There,how's that ?

Not for nothing, but you somewhat contradict yourself.

You say:

You know,it's comments like this that typically keep us away from forums.We opened the topic for discussion.

Then you say:

If you don't like our opinion on it you could've kept going from the get go but you didn't.You didn't like what we said or how we said it but you decided to contribut to the discussion only to be a wiseacre.

So basically if someone doesn't agree with your opinion, they should move on? You say it's a discussion and then basically say if one doesn't like your opinion to move on.

Interesting.

I kind of agree here, actually. You stated your case. Some people agreed with you, some didn't. It's fine. But you don't seem to like it when people disagree and then, again, restate your opinion.

A discussion requires seeing both sides. Doesn't seem like you do so.

As far as the original topic at hand, I've yet to see these "paper" or "proxy" coins. I know they exist. I have no problems with them. Would I move them? I dunno. Maybe. I'd likely discover them, however.

I also fully understand why people might do this. I own several coins. I don't plan on and likely will never release them into the wild. I like them too much and they are for my collection. However, I also won't be releasing a proxy as I personally think that's a little silly. I'll let fellow cachers "discover" them, however, if they see me on the trails.

In the end, it comes down to something Xopher said. This game is played many, many different ways. Respect how others play it. You don't have to agree with it, but respect it. Some like the paper coins. Some don't (we know where you stand). Nobody is wrong.

Carry on.

Have fun.

Thanks for your response.Now here's our response to your response.You bring up the scenario about the kid right ? Ok.What if you were going to the cache with the supposed coin and it was the first time you and your kid were gonna see/pick up a coin.All the way there your kid is excited about seeing his first geocoin.Then you get to the cache and all your kid gets is a lousy piece of paper with a picture of the coin on it ! Guaranteed your kid is gonna be bummed and totally disappointed and I would love to hear you explain the Proxy nonsense thing to him ! Yeah right,your kid's gonna get it ! So you see,it goes both ways doesn't it. Either way,we have a disappointed kid don't we and wether that kid is 4,14 or 40 it doesn't matter !! Fake coins disappoint period and that's why the folks who put em' out need to be upfront about what they're putting out there. Another thing I guarantee is there are a lot more folks out in the geocaching world that will tell you they think the paper coin is lame than there are people who are gonna say they think it's fine ! thanks

One more thing: you say you'd rather find a paper coin than a wine cork ? Not me,you know why ? Cuz at least the guy who left the cork didn't lead me to believe there was gonna be a nice bottle of wine attached to it ! Chew on that one for awhile ! thanks

I'll happily agree to disagree, and respect the fact you dislike paper coins enough to post about it.

I hope something good comes of it...

Maybe a massive ban on paper coins with mandatory paper coin bonfire rituals around the world.

Seriously, what do you want to accomplish with this thread?

Letting the world know you don't care for paper coins? Done.

Letting the world know they shouldn't respond if they don't agree? Done.

One sided discussion on disliking paper coins? Incomplete.

Xopher, the more we try, the more it's the same, eh? :ph34r:

Ain't it the truth :(

Edited by XopherN71

And there was me thinking you were seeking the opinion of others !

I would suggest you chalk it up to 'experience' - and the next time you go looking for a cache that appears to have a 'coin' listed in the inventory - go prepared to find nothing - or a proxy. If the coin is there it's a bonus.

And no - I don't think sending out a proxy is an insult to you or any other cacher, if anything it sends out a message that coins get stolen - all the time. It's just another way of playing the game - get over it and get caching.

You know,it's comments like this that typically keep us away from forums.We opened the topic for discussion.

Please remember when you open a topic for discussion, you are going to get discussion, all sides and angles of it. If you open a thread, put on your thick-skinned jacket and don't take everything too personally.

This discussion has been hashed over in here several times, and your getting the same types of replies the other people got. It shouldn't keep you from coming back to these forums, they are, from what I hear, one of the more friendly forums out there.

I think you need to go to a cache to find the cache, not to look for a certain item in it. I have found several "Fake" coins so far. Why let it bother me. It is still trackable, I seen what the coin looks like. I logged it and got the icon. Funny, that is everything the real one would of done for me too. :ph34r:

I've trekked through some pretty unfavorable terrain and weather to get a glimpse of a special coin as well ... only to discover that it's already been nabbed by another cacher and not logged yet. It's disappointing, frustrating even, but I don't blame the other cacher for getting there first.

I don't like proxies either, but as someone who has essentially seen about $100 of coins get stolen, I understand why people do it. I haven't done it, and I hope I won't get to that point ... I'm more likely to just save my money and stop buying and releasing coins altogether.

I would personally rather see Groundspeak take the little coin icons off of the cache pages. Let a coin be a surprise. By advertising that a coin is there, the coin thieves are more easily enticed. Yes, there are people such as yourself and myself who will visit a cache just because of a coin, but really I'd be just as content to be surprised by a coin find. It would be more in the tradition of discovering treasure.

Those who send out proxies should have the curtesy of listing it as such, but ultimately it is their decision

I'll agree that I think proxy coins are "lame".

Am I going to lose sleep over them? Nope.

Am I going to blame others for my kid being disappointed if there isn't one in the cache? Nope. Things happen, move on.

I'll agree with others - you opened up a thread for discussion. Not everybody will agree with your POV - don't take it personally. I don't think anybody has attacked you, just disagreed with your thoughts.

And the same way that you said that if people don't like the topic/thread they can move on - you can do the same for these proxy coins. If you'd really like to read people's opinions without engaging in a discussion use the SEARCH feature of the forums and look up things like "fake coins" "proxy coins", etc. and you'll get plenty of reading.

It's ok to be disappointed in not seeing a coin in a cache when you expected it. Just don't take it personally.

I've noticed in this discussion that the most accepting/tolerant ones are the ones who have contributed to the game by putting caches out and even releasing coins and bugs into the wild. And the most judgemental one is the OP with nary a cache hide or traveler to their name.

The game of geocaching is a free one. Out of pocket and for no $$ people will place caches in the most obscure or obvious places for the enjoyment of the rest of us. I don't really care anymore about the quality of the swag because I'm not there to trade swag anymore. The days of shopping for really cool stuff to leave in caches has long gone when it got traded for feathers or clods of dirt.

Yes, I too love coins and love to find them in caches. I get excited by a coin's icon sitting by the cache name in my PQ database. But I also have found that little icon to be misleading because all too often the coin isn't there. It was stolen weeks if not moths earlier, it was picked up and not logged out yet or the cache itself was muggled, vandalized or removed. So it goes! That's life.

Paper proxy??? What's the big deal? Yes, they are disappointing but compared to not finding anything they are better than the common swag, cacher's card or dirty golf ball and tee. You get to add its icon to your trackables list.

If you feel cheated by not getting to feel the heft of the metal and see the colours shine in the sun go to a Mega Event where you can see literally tons of coins. But don't expect the owners to let you fondle all of them. Sure, flip the binder pages to copy the tracking #s but don't pull them out without permission. Would that be an insult to your selfrighteous honesty?

Grow up, Grasshopper. In due time when you have your own caches out there losing swag faster than you can replenish it, being rehidden in ways you'd never imagined or just left out to be taken away with the trash you will learn acceptance. Buy some coins, take their pics and design great travel pages for them with interesting missions. Hope and pray that people who see that will respect the work you've put into it and play nice. Most do, many don't.

But before you judge those who don't TRUST YOU maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes. Hell, why not just walk a mile in your own shoes and stop this ranting and start contributing to the game.

I think you need to go to a cache to find the cache, not to look for a certain item in it. I have found several "Fake" coins so far. Why let it bother me. It is still trackable, I seen what the coin looks like. I logged it and got the icon. Funny, that is everything the real one would of done for me too. :ph34r:

Thank you for the reply,however,I'll say it one more time! We DO NOT go to caches looking for ANYTHING but if a paper coin owner is going to lead me to believe they have an actual coin in one of the caches I'm going for then that's wrong. If we went around only doing caches with GeoCoins in them we wouldn't be out but once in a blue moon doing one cache here and one cache there.Everyone's getting on my case when you should be getting on the case of the person who misleads others on their coin page by showing a photo of the actual coin and NEVER mentioning that it's nothing but a piece of paper ! Also,I'm not angry about anything but I do get peeved when responders don't read my logs in their entirety ! When you have to defend yourself left and right you tend to come across a little harsh.

I opened this discussion for a simple reason,to get your opinions on the paper coin. I didn't ask for your opinion on me or my opinion ! I asked FOR YOUR OPINION ON PAPER COINS ! That's it. I get the picture and I'm going to respond to the rest of the folks that replied and then I'm moving on to my next beef which I'm sure you're all gonna love. thank you

I'll agree that I think proxy coins are "lame".

Am I going to lose sleep over them? Nope.

Am I going to blame others for my kid being disappointed if there isn't one in the cache? Nope. Things happen, move on.

I'll agree with others - you opened up a thread for discussion. Not everybody will agree with your POV - don't take it personally. I don't think anybody has attacked you, just disagreed with your thoughts.

And the same way that you said that if people don't like the topic/thread they can move on - you can do the same for these proxy coins. If you'd really like to read people's opinions without engaging in a discussion use the SEARCH feature of the forums and look up things like "fake coins" "proxy coins", etc. and you'll get plenty of reading.

It's ok to be disappointed in not seeing a coin in a cache when you expected it. Just don't take it personally.

Ok.Thanks for your response too and now here's my response to your response.One,who ever said I was loosing sleep over it ? Get real ! Two,I don't have kids,it was the other guy who brought up the kid situation and again,if you read my logs thoroughly I wouldn't have to be defending myself yet again. Again,I didn't ask for your thoughts or opininions on me or my opinion ! I asked for your opinion on paper coins ! That's it.Your opinion on the coin things.All I'm getting is ridiculous comments about me,my state of mind and my opinion on the subject.What is so hard here. I didn't come here for the first time to get bashed.If I wanted to get bashed I'll go back to my state site where the same 25 people rule the roost and get bashed there ! I thought I could come here where the whole world participates and all I'm getting is the same nonsense. Talk about the topic not me and not my opinion and not wether I'm angry or losing sleep ! C'mon people ! thanks

:ph34r: Wow.

Ok, I'll follow your request.

I could care less if I find a paper coin.

Wow, great idea for a discussion! Wait, was it ok to post that? I'm not sure now... Can I even post that I don't care if a coin is paper? Or can I only post if I agree that paper coins suck?

I'm so confused!

Edited by XopherN71

I've noticed in this discussion that the most accepting/tolerant ones are the ones who have contributed to the game by putting caches out and even releasing coins and bugs into the wild. And the most judgemental one is the OP with nary a cache hide or traveler to their name.

The game of geocaching is a free one. Out of pocket and for no $$ people will place caches in the most obscure or obvious places for the enjoyment of the rest of us. I don't really care anymore about the quality of the swag because I'm not there to trade swag anymore. The days of shopping for really cool stuff to leave in caches has long gone when it got traded for feathers or clods of dirt.

Yes, I too love coins and love to find them in caches. I get excited by a coin's icon sitting by the cache name in my PQ database. But I also have found that little icon to be misleading because all too often the coin isn't there. It was stolen weeks if not moths earlier, it was picked up and not logged out yet or the cache itself was muggled, vandalized or removed. So it goes! That's life.

Paper proxy??? What's the big deal? Yes, they are disappointing but compared to not finding anything they are better than the common swag, cacher's card or dirty golf ball and tee. You get to add its icon to your trackables list.

If you feel cheated by not getting to feel the heft of the metal and see the colours shine in the sun go to a Mega Event where you can see literally tons of coins. But don't expect the owners to let you fondle all of them. Sure, flip the binder pages to copy the tracking #s but don't pull them out without permission. Would that be an insult to your selfrighteous honesty?

Grow up, Grasshopper. In due time when you have your own caches out there losing swag faster than you can replenish it, being rehidden in ways you'd never imagined or just left out to be taken away with the trash you will learn acceptance. Buy some coins, take their pics and design great travel pages for them with interesting missions. Hope and pray that people who see that will respect the work you've put into it and play nice. Most do, many don't.

But before you judge those who don't TRUST YOU maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes. Hell, why not just walk a mile in your own shoes and stop this ranting and start contributing to the game.

Here Here Droo, :ph34r: You said it.

Ok, many people have come in and nicely tried to help you out by trying to get you to see the big picture.

Eartha (one of the other moderators) even came in and tried to help you understand that this is a discussion, not a place for you to simply post your rant.

Now, I am telling you clearly to take it easy. You seem to want to attack everybody that posting in this thread that doesn't post "I agree 100%".

It's obvious by the posts and multiple exclamation points that you are upset. This is a public forum where people are going to post opinions and thoughts. Some will agree with you and some will not. Continaully posting your same thought over and over again is not getting anywhere and continually quoting others and telling them how to post isn't helping either.

Let me be clear: Personal attacks are not allowed. No one has attacked you or they would have been reprimanded by a moderator for it. Ideas have been exchanged and comments and opinions have been expressed. If you can't accept that maybe it's time to leave this thread?

Nobody is saying you don't have the right to your opinion. Don't tell them that they don't have a right to theirs either.

I suggest that you stay on the topic at hand instead of continually responding to everybody's posts with "you're not listening", otherwise you run the risk of this thread being closed.

Where do I start with this response which is yet another bash session on me and has NOTHING to do with the topic that I opened !! Is this for real ? Honestly,you sound a heck of a lot angrier than I do.Also,I'm not a "Grasshopper." We found 300 as of Sunday and guess what,we find caches in our area that the old timers still haven't found. I'm talking about cachers who've been around from day one and have 3-4-5-7 THOUSAND finds under their belts !! Our very first find was a micro hidden by one of the most hated cache hiders in our area.We didn't even know how to use a gps !! We found it in under 30 minutes.That was last July and the veterans around here are still dnf'ing on it so I am no Grasshopper ! 2 weeks ago we found the 5 star dif nano that's all the talk on our state site !! The only other sigs on the log were from a group that got together after one guy spent 4.5hrs at ground zero with no luck.He went on the state site,asked for a posse AND THEN called the cache owner for clues AND THEN to top it all off, the cache owner went out to GZ with them. Yeah,they found it then and then they ALL logged a FTF ! Gimme a break. We went out,2 of us,a team,that's how we started the game,one gps cuz he left his at home,and we found the thing in 25 minutes flat. Now,I pose this question to you...Who really deserves the FTF? Grasshopper? I don't think so. We'll take you on in a 5 star dif hunt for a nano any day of the week !

Also,if you're so worn out from caching that you don't go to the dollar store anymore to buy a handful of swag then you've lost part of the spirit of the game and maybe it's time for you "Tortoise",to retire your gps ! thanks

I don't think so. We'll take you on in a 5 star dif hunt for a nano any day of the week !

Oh my. Did this thread really just turn into a playground challenge?

People have been staying on topic the whole time. You're just mad because people aren't agreeing with you. Get over it.

Where do I start with this response which is yet another bash session on me and has NOTHING to do with the topic that I opened !! Is this for real ? Honestly,you sound a heck of a lot angrier than I do.Also,I'm not a "Grasshopper." We found 300 as of Sunday and guess what,we find caches in our area that the old timers still haven't found. I'm talking about cachers who've been around from day one and have 3-4-5-7 THOUSAND finds under their belts !! Our very first find was a micro hidden by one of the most hated cache hiders in our area.We didn't even know how to use a gps !! We found it in under 30 minutes.That was last July and the veterans around here are still dnf'ing on it so I am no Grasshopper ! 2 weeks ago we found the 5 star dif nano that's all the talk on our state site !! The only other sigs on the log were from a group that got together after one guy spent 4.5hrs at ground zero with no luck.He went on the state site,asked for a posse AND THEN called the cache owner for clues AND THEN to top it all off, the cache owner went out to GZ with them. Yeah,they found it then and then they ALL logged a FTF ! Gimme a break. We went out,2 of us,a team,that's how we started the game,one gps cuz he left his at home,and we found the thing in 25 minutes flat. Now,I pose this question to you...Who really deserves the FTF? Grasshopper? I don't think so. We'll take you on in a 5 star dif hunt for a nano any day of the week !

Also,if you're so worn out from caching that you don't go to the dollar store anymore to buy a handful of swag then you've lost part of the spirit of the game and maybe it's time for you "Tortoise",to retire your gps ! thanks

One last thought here..As far as us not hiding any caches yet or releasing any travelers ? Here is our thinking...No one should hide or release anything until they have a real good feel for the sport and how things are done.Respectfully,we've waited until now,this Summer,before we'll start hiding our own and maybe/maybe not release coins/bugs.Would you like it better if newbies with 10 finds started hiding caches in your area ? Hell,we have cachers around here with hundreds of finds who still don't know how to log travelers in and out of caches ! Are you kidding me ??

Would you like it better if newbies with 10 finds started hiding caches in your area ?

Not sure you really want to go down this path now but...

I wouldn't mind at all, I'd be thrilled to see them put forth the effort to keep the hobby active!

I'm a newbie and have a few hides myself, people are enjoying them - what's the problem?

Edited by XopherN71

I don't think so. We'll take you on in a 5 star dif hunt for a nano any day of the week !

Oh my. Did this thread really just turn into a playground challenge?

People have been staying on topic the whole time. You're just mad because people aren't agreeing with you. Get over it.

Gimme a break Phillies ! Again,talk about your opinion on the topic and NOT ME and my state of mind ok ? Geez,it's not that hard

Playground challenge ? How about this for a big boy challenge....Our Cubbies will take on your Phillies any day of the week too ! How bout that ??

Some people just like hearing themselves rant over and over and over. Obviously people will do what they feel is best. But IMHO, the OP is just looking to pick a fight. And the best way to handle people who blow off steam without listening to anyone else is to ignore them.

It's pretty hard to argue with yourself - although I'm sure some people will try. ;)