Canadian Map Options for Garmin Colorado 300

Airstream 65

Hi,

Looking at picking up the Colorado 300 in the near future, but the Garmin map options are confusing me. I plan to use the unit for about 40% Hiking and Geocaching, 40% Canada road navigation (cities and small towns), 20% USA Road navigation and hiking. Also, I would like to be able to use the address to address feature when autorouting. Also, I would like to have the option of having European Road Navigation, but I would only use this once or twice a year.

So what I am wondering, is which Garmin map set(s) should I get when I purchace my unit? I am leaning towards TOPO Canda and either MetroGuide Canada V4, or City Navigator North America V8. If someone could give me the pros and cons of what works and what doesn't, that would be great.

Thanks

Here is what I use:

I have City Navigator and I use it for all of my auto-routing needs and address look-ups. Buy the latest version with the most up-to-date North American information and away you go.

For on the trail and hiking I use Ibycus's topo maps as he linked to above. They contain the same information as what you would get in Topo Canada v2 but they look better on the GPSr and, they're free. Combine those two and you'll have most of your needs covered.

The other option is to use just Topo Canada v2 -- it contains auto-routing information but the map data is getting quite dated now and if you need to navigate in the newer neighbourhoods of an urban centre you can expect most of the roads will be missing.

EDIT: I forgot the European maps you said you need on occasion. Basically, you'd end up having to buy another map set for in Europe.

Edited by DanOCan

That's great! Thanks for all the good info DanoOCan & ibycus! I'll look into those free Canada topo maps, sounds like a good deal :ph34r:

Also, is there some kind of fundemental difference that I'm missing between MetroGuide Canada V4 and City Navigator North America DVD 2008? At the store I'm looking at, they are both listed at the same price ($91.15 CAD) so for the same price, why wouldn't someone want the whole of North America vs. just Canada?

Thanks

City Navigator covers the USA and Canada (except Yukon and NWT) and is more up to date and is locked to a single unit. It should be around $140, where are you getting $90?? http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/mapso...tynavigator.htm

Metroguide Canada has all of Canada, but is a few years old. It is better in rural areas though and has better water coverage and can be used on multiple units. You can get it for $60, http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/metroguidecanada.htm

In the end, for what you are asking, listen to DanOCan........

The other option is to use just Topo Canada v2 -- it contains auto-routing information

...which I've found to be laughably bad.

I said, take me to a nearby city. It said, pull into this parking lot (which has no other exit).

I said, find me a way across this river. It said, follow this crumbling 4x4 track, then ford the river.

Couldn't rely on it.

Topo Canada and Metroguide Canada use exactly the same road database, so routing is the same. It is more out of date, but in rural areas it is better. Most places it is fine despite VPs complaints. With all routing, you need to realize it is just a dumb computer with possibly out of date data and use your head when choosing where to go.

The downside to Topo Canada is there is no address searching nor points of interest which the OP asked for.

Edited by Red90
The other option is to use just Topo Canada v2 -- it contains auto-routing information

...which I've found to be laughably bad.

I said, take me to a nearby city. It said, pull into this parking lot (which has no other exit).

I said, find me a way across this river. It said, follow this crumbling 4x4 track, then ford the river.

Couldn't rely on it.

Oh, I agree. I have had much better luck with City Navigator than I have with Topo Canada/MetroGuide, likely because City Navigator has newer information. That being said, City Navigator does lead one down some really strange "roads" as well. :ph34r:

The only reason I still keep Topo Canada loaded on the GPSr at all since switching to Ibycus's maps is because it still shows listings for a lot of small settlements which have disappeared off the newer maps. Makes for great ghost town hunting.

I am so tempted to mention the fact that GPS Central would not make a small shipping exception for me while I was in Afghanistan and needed a rear battery compartment cover for my GPSMAP 60C (I informed them how to ship for FREE and they wouldn't go the 730 meters to drop it off at a postal outlet for me during a lunch break).

The price of shipping was more than the cost of the part if they used their shipping!!

But I won't mention it as I don't want to hijack this thread any further.

Cough Cough.. GPScity.ca has the Colorado 300 at $429.95 vs $459.99 at GPS Central.

I am eager to see if they too will give me a military discount.

Garmin's Topo Canada is terrible.

I use my GPS for 50% geocaching and 50% Search and Rescue. For the SAR work, Topos are critical.

I use a 3rd party product that has all of Ontario at the 1:10,000 detail. Excellent detail. In several cases I have shown the 'cache' on the correct side of the creek while my friend's Garmin topo shows it on the wrong side.

Here is the url for the topos: http://www.canadianmaps.ca/

Not cheap but very very good.

C

Thanks everyone, for all the opinions. My next question is, which of these two map products is compatable with the Colorado 300? I'm trying to decide between City Navigator North America or City Navigator North America NT?

Thanks

Both... I'd probably go with the NT version though. My understanding is that the non NT versions are provided for backwards compatibility with older models.