OS Maps on Cache Pages (with Greasemonkey)

This is a recurring problem with a very small number of users, and it always baffles me, I cannot recall ever finding a solution to the issue, since the majority of people cannot reproduce it.

The one thing I can suggest checking is that there may be a setting flipped somewhere in the advanced Firefox settings. If possible, try this:

• Enter 'about:config' into your address bar and hit enter.
  • In the filter box enter 'network.http.sendRefererHeader'.
  • Double-click the one result, and change the value in the dialogue to 2.

Edited by Edgemaster

Is there a way to get OpenStreetMap maps on this page as well?

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...p;lng=-93.63134

Hehe :(

I was developing an OpenStreetMap plugin a few years ago, but I percieved that there was never enough demand for it (plus I've got lazy with my development recently).

There is a script called OSMify that will add OSM to most Google Maps. From the page below, drag the link titled OSMify (just below the image), onto your bookmarks toolbar and then click it when on the Geocaching Map page.

http://blog.johnmckerrell.com/2007/12/31/n...fy-bookmarklet/

I'm a Chrome user, and have been pleasantly surprised by how many GM scripts work as extensions under Chrome.

However, the Ord Surv script doesn't seem to be working. CAn I ask two things:-

a) Should it? (i.e. are there any greasemonkey specifics in the code which would mean that in all likelihood it won't work) and

:( Can someone explain what I should see visually if it did work on a cache page?

Cheers!

Matt

I'm a Chrome user, and have been pleasantly surprised by how many GM scripts work as extensions under Chrome.

However, the Ord Surv script doesn't seem to be working. CAn I ask two things:-

a) Should it? (i.e. are there any greasemonkey specifics in the code which would mean that in all likelihood it won't work) and

:( Can someone explain what I should see visually if it did work on a cache page?

Cheers!

Matt

a) Probably not, I've never explicitly tested it, I think I do things to get around some firefox limitations.

I could (and probably should) make an effort to fix it.

:) The various places I've hosted screenshots in the past seem to have disappeared into the ether of the internet. I've just taken one of a cache I'm hoping to get this weekend.

4406442882_45a251b2ae_m.jpg

JF20938, what cache listing are you trying to view? The ordinance survey maps only work in the UK.

I'm only looking at UK caches - but thanks for the idea.

However, I've had a breakthrough! I'm ashamed to admit that it seems to be a Firewall issue. If I disable Norton Internet Security, I do see the maps. Actually, it's not completely flawless but I strongly suspect the remaining problems result from my PC locally caching pages - i.e. caching the "error" condition.

I'll play around with my Firewall settings when I get a chance (I'm off on business tomorrow) and report back here. I hope my findings would be useful to someone else.

Thanks to everyone for all their ideas to this point. Any thoughts on why my Firewall might be objecting to specific sites etc would be most welcome.

This is easily my most useful Greasemonkey script. The use of OS maps makes planning a route over footpaths to a cache so much easier.

So I wondered if there was any chance that you might consider extending it <grovel grovel> :anitongue:

It would be really useful if we could have OS maps on the "Map it" page or some equivalent way of seeing all the caches in an area on OS maps. This would be really useful in planning a series or just a day out caching.

At present I do this manually but it would be great to see them on the screen and print it out.

I've sent a message to Edgemaster, in case he wasn't aware...

:(

Just so you know - Edge has gone off into the wilds of the Lake District for the week armed with no more than penknife and a length of fishing line... something like that anyway... he's incommunicado for a while. :rolleyes:

MrsB

He's "The Edge!!!"

He has a penknife and a bit of fishing line... Of course he can fix it! :)

I was indeed new Keswick, with little more than a tent, chemical toilet (yuck!)

According to their MP, round those parts that's positive LUXURY! :ph34r:

Anyway, Thanks for getting it back & running!

As other have noted, it lost the additional waypoints feature a while ago. But that's not so important. :wub:

As an aside... Didn't the map used to show the Additional Waypoints? They seem to be missing after one of Groundspeaks updates... B)

If you want the waypoints back, it's a quick edit to line 87 of the script:

OLD:

coord = parsecoords(awptblr[j].cells[5].innerHTML);

NEW:

coord = parsecoords(awptblr[j].cells[6].innerHTML);

David

As an aside... Didn't the map used to show the Additional Waypoints? They seem to be missing after one of Groundspeaks updates... B)

OLD:

NEW:

David

Thanks for that - very quick and easy. I do like to have children shown.

Now all we need is to persuade more people to use them when setting caches (separate thread a week or so ago)

As an aside... Didn't the map used to show the Additional Waypoints? They seem to be missing after one of Groundspeaks updates... :D

OLD:

NEW:

David

Thanks for that - very quick and easy. I do like to have children shown.

Now all we need is to persuade more people to use them when setting caches (separate thread a week or so ago)

Woo-Hoo!!!!

Until Groundspeak muck it up update again! B)

In very simple terms :D can someone explain how to edit the script as I'd like to get the additional waypoints shown and I've no idea how to do this. Apologies for being thick! :D

Firefox. On the menu - Tools - Greasemonkey - Manage User Scripts. In the box that opens find the script 'Geocacaching Map Substituter'. Select it and then click Edit (at the bottom of the dialogue box). It opens in Notepad. Do a 'Find' for coord = parsecoords(awptblr[j].cells[5].innerHTML); and then edit the 5 to a 6 and save it.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

In very simple terms :D can someone explain how to edit the script as I'd like to get the additional waypoints shown and I've no idea how to do this. Apologies for being thick! :D

Firefox. On the menu - Tools - Greasemonkey - Manage User Scripts. In the box that opens find the script 'Geocacaching Map Substituter'. Select it and then click Edit (at the bottom of the dialogue box). It opens in Notepad. Do a 'Find' for coord = parsecoords(awptblr[j].cells[5].innerHTML); and then edit the 5 to a 6 and save it.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I then had to close and restart Firefox before it started to work