OS Maps on Cache Pages (with Greasemonkey)

Has it gone wonky again? I just get a blank box now - using FF 2.0.0.15. No map, just the little marker icon plus the controls and cursor location.

A Right Click on a cache page on the little Monkey tells me the script is running....

And the forum is quiet - so is it me??? :P

Am I doing something wrong? All I get is "Sorry this map tile cannot be served at the moment"

I have no idea why this happened, it might be a result of something wrong at the OS. I believe that we've not been hitting their imposed tile limit.

Can you give me a link to the cache page to see if its a localised issue?

I have no idea why this happened, it might be a result of something wrong at the OS. I believe that we've not been hitting their imposed tile limit.

It happens on every cache I try. Taking one at random I look at the map properties and I get

http: //openspace.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmapapi/ts?KEY=4B692F8F924E6AF7E0405F0AF160613D&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=image%2Fjpeg&LAYERS=1&SRS=EPSG%3A27700&BBOX=575250,181000,575500,181250&WIDTH=250&HEIGHT=250

I have added an extra space after the http: to get the full text to display in this message.

The map box appears OK, I can make it bigger and smaller, look at the EULA and see the Lat/Long change as I move the mouse around. I just don't see any map, just "Sorry This map tile cannot be served at the moment"

As others are OK it must be me but I don't know where to start :)

It happens on every cache I try. Taking one at random I look at the map properties and I get

http: //openspace.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmapapi/ts?KEY=4B692F8F924E6AF7E0405F0AF160613D&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=image%2Fjpeg&LAYERS=1&SRS=EPSG%3A27700&BBOX=575250,181000,575500,181250&WIDTH=250&HEIGHT=250

I have added an extra space after the http: to get the full text to display in this message.

The map box appears OK, I can make it bigger and smaller, look at the EULA and see the Lat/Long change as I move the mouse around. I just don't see any map, just "Sorry This map tile cannot be served at the moment"

As others are OK it must be me but I don't know where to start :(

Thanks for that info, it should help a little, I'll look into it further in the morning.

As others are OK it must be me but I don't know where to start :mad:

I've looked at the area in question through the script, and it looks completely fine to me. The image link you gave was a tiny bit of the water in the Tthames estuary at the maximum zoom level the map can handle. When liked directly to it, you'll get a "Sorry this tile could not be served" message, since the OS check the referrer of the script. However, it should be fully visible when viewed through the map frame.

I honestly have no idea why the OS servers would be refusing to serve you the map tiles. My only suggestion is to clear your browser's cache and try again.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.

I may bring back the alternative set of OS maps as a legacy backup option just in case this is happening to anyone else also.

I've looked at the area in question through the script, and it looks completely fine to me. The image link you gave was a tiny bit of the water in the Tthames estuary at the maximum zoom level the map can handle. When liked directly to it, you'll get a "Sorry this tile could not be served" message, since the OS check the referrer of the script. However, it should be fully visible when viewed through the map frame.

I honestly have no idea why the OS servers would be refusing to serve you the map tiles. My only suggestion is to clear your browser's cache and try again.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.

I may bring back the alternative set of OS maps as a legacy backup option just in case this is happening to anyone else also.

Many thanks for trying anyway.

I just picked a cache at random since it was the last one I found (yes, in the Thames Estuary) The zoom level is the Geocache default I assume?

Clearing the cache makes no difference unfortunately.

FYI I am using Firefox 3.0.1 and Greasemonkey 0.8.20080605W

I have disabled My anti virus (Avast) and Firewall (Zone Alarm) and this made no difference.

Oh well, it looks like it's not going to work for me.

EDIT:

I just noticed the + sign on the right so I clicked it:

I can get the map in all the options apart from the top one (OS)

Can I alter the script to make one of the others default?

Edited by G4UYG

After failing to get the script to work for me I removed it from my PC and forgot all about it.

But the other day I tried again. Now with Version 1.3.2 (don't remember if this was the same before) Greasemonkey 0.8.20080609.0 and Firefox 3.0.5 everything is working for me!

So finally I can say thanks. It was well worth the effort, very useful.

Edited by G4UYG

A year later and I can't live without this wonderful script.

But now GC have changed the site :) Is it going to be updated??

I too miss it hugely, but as this is user written stuff, I think adding the word

PLEASE

and lots of

THANK YOU's

wouldn't go amiss in motivating one of the good folks to consider spending their valuable time and skills on it...

Jon.

I too miss it hugely, but as this is user written stuff, I think adding the word

PLEASE

and lots of

THANK YOU's

wouldn't go amiss in motivating one of the good folks to consider spending their valuable time and skills on it...

Jon.

Please? I'd have to go a lot further than that GROVEL, PLEAD etc. :) I'll go to any lengths short of actual bribery. (Hmm, perhaps that too?)

The script is sorely missed here.

Oh, I really hadn't noticed, and I didn't get an email either, Chris!

I should check my spam filters.

I'm in the middle of an exceptionally busy week, and I'll have no free time next weekend either (I'll be somewhere in Snowdonia)

I'll see if I can investigate a fix when I have time between bits of university work...

Oh, I really hadn't noticed, and I didn't get an email either, Chris!

I should check my spam filters.

I'm in the middle of an exceptionally busy week, and I'll have no free time next weekend either (I'll be somewhere in Snowdonia)

I'll see if I can investigate a fix when I have time between bits of university work...

Thanks Edgemaster!

Before seeing your message I've had a go and got a quick & dirty solution working so if anyone is desperate:

http://www.dna-software.co.uk/geo/geocachi...tituter.user.js

David

Edited by d-dixon

Yeah, that works as a quick and dirty solution, the other changes will just take a bit of stylistic tweaking.

I guess I also need to check the other conditions the script works under (printable, waypoint pages, and reviewer if that section of the script still works!)

I should be able to get that done fairly quickly on Wednesday some time.

For now, use the version provided by d-dixon above, an update message should automatically appear when the next version by myself fixing all the bugs is released.

Version 1.3.3 of the Geocaching OS Map Substituter has been released.

This release fixes the breakage caused by the Geocaching.com site changes.

In particular, print friendly and the waypoint information page maps have been fixed (this took most of the work)

A big red bar may have appeared if you already have the maps installed, if so click on it to install the update. Otherwise, install from here.

Edited by Edgemaster

In particular, print friendly and the waypoint information page maps have been fixed (this took most of the work)

A big red bar may have appeared if you already have the maps installed, if so click on it to install the update. Otherwise, install from here.

Thanks muchly Edgemaster, very much appreciate you fixing this. It's incredible how quickly you become dependant upon all the little scripts & tools, forgetting they are even there, until of course something changes!

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4

Thanks again Edgemaster!

Is this for a particular cache, or all caches?

seems to be for all uk caches.

initial display is a white area with blue borders and the zoom buttons.

after a click in the zoom-in button penzance shows up in the upper right hand corner of the map.

firefox 3.6 vista home premium sp2

Version 1.3.4 of the script has now been released.

This is an urgent update, the server which hosts a part of the script is being switched off at the end of the month, this version reconfigures the script to use a new server.

It also fixes some compatibility issues with Gary & Jane's scripts, (thanks to him for the patch).

The new download link is: http://ge.pythonmoo.co.uk/gcmap/geocachingmaps.user.js

(I'd be grateful if a moderator could fix the link in the first post of this thread also)

Hi - I got to this topic from a Google search for "Sorry! The map tile cannot be served at the moment". I downloaded the scripts immediately above (1.3.4) to Firefox 3.6. All the options work correctly under the "+" menu, except the current OS one. I get the same result for all cache pages.

I've only recently downloaded this (since the gc.com changes), so I've never seen it working. Hence, my stupidity is a very likely cause - am I required to register on the OS site to use it? - is the Feb 28 posting (and link) pointing to a complete release or just a subset of changed scripts? Hmm... I suspect it's not those things but I can't think of anything else.

Ideas gratefully received :)

Hi - I got to this topic from a Google search for "Sorry! The map tile cannot be served at the moment". I downloaded the scripts immediately above (1.3.4) to Firefox 3.6. All the options work correctly under the "+" menu, except the current OS one. I get the same result for all cache pages.

I've only recently downloaded this (since the gc.com changes), so I've never seen it working. Hence, my stupidity is a very likely cause - am I required to register on the OS site to use it? - is the Feb 28 posting (and link) pointing to a complete release or just a subset of changed scripts? Hmm... I suspect it's not those things but I can't think of anything else.

Ideas gratefully received :)

Sorry, I know I submitted this twice. I got an error the first time and thought it hadn't posted. Admins: please delete this one if you see it.

Edited by JF20938

The maps are displayed 'live' so it is possible the server was unavailable at the time you tried. I have just looked at it is working fine for me. Check that Greasemonkey is running. In the bottom right corner of the Firefox screen you should see a smiling monkey. If it is greyed out then it's disabled. Just left click to enable it. If you RIGHT click the monkey you'll see which scripts are running. Do this with the cache page open and you should see the Map Substituter script showing.

Chris (MrB)

I installed using the above link two days ago and all was well.

Although when I first tried it, I also thought it was not working.

Then I scrolled down a cache page to look at the logs and there it was between the encrypted clue and the logs.

Another script that works well is the one that decrypts the clue without opening another page.

Hmm... thanks for the comments.

I think the server is fine because it's been like this for a few days, this morning, and right now.

Greasemonkey is on and appears to be working. I also know where the map is supposed to be - the other overlays under the "+" sign appear correctly, including the 1940's one.

I don't know what NoScript is, but I've not installed it. Once again, the other overlays work fine. Nope - I don't know what I'm talking about here - but I suspect NoScript is not the problem.

I can right-click on the cache map area to get the url:

http://openspace.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osma...&HEIGHT=200

I get the same error when I paste that into Firefox's or IE8's Location bar. I guess the latter suggests it's not the Greasmonkey script at all.

Curses! :(