Best Cell Phone for Geocaching

Hi Everyone!

My wife and I recently got into Geocaching after the prompting of her brother. We really love it. Currently we use our Garmin for Geocaching, but I heard you can also do it with certain cell phones and some software. We’re in the market to buy a couple of new cell phones and now want to get some that can help with our new hobby of Geocaching.

Our cell phone service is with Sprint, so it would have to be a phone that they support. If anyone has any suggestions, we would be very grateful. Thank you very much!

- 4Chiliheads

Beaumont, CA

Edited by 4Chiliheads

Hi Everyone!

My wife and I recently got into Geocaching after the prompting of her brother. We really love it. Currently we use our Garmin for Geocaching, but I heard you can also do it with certain cell phones and some software. We’re in the market to buy a couple of new cell phones and now want to get some that can help with our new hobby of Geocaching.

Our cell phone service is with Sprint, so it would have to be a phone that they support. If anyone has any suggestions, we would be very grateful. Thank you very much!

- 4Chiliheads

Beaumont, CA

Hey guys,

I use a Treo 650, which runs Palm software. I have a TomTom bluetooth receiver, and to get to a cache by driving, I use the TomTom Navigator 6 software, and then when I'm there, I use Geoniche software.

:ph34r:

Hi

I use the Nokia N82. It has built-in GPS and there is a free software for it called Geocache Navigator.

In seconds you get all the caches currently near you, including direction, map and cache description.

/David

Edited by david1

The N82 is a GSM/UMTS handset so it doesn't work with Sprint.

I was going to mention that I use a Sony Ericsson w580i with a bluetooth GPS receiver, but this isn't a "why GSM carriers are always better" thred :lol:

Anyway, I would look at what GPS apps are available for the palm/blackberry operating systems, or whichever has better java support (extensions you probably need are file access and either bluetooth or location API depending on if you're using internal or external GPS)

The Motorola Q9H (ATT Wireless) has a GPS built-in and there are several programs like Windows Live, Google Maps and Yahoo!GO that are free and work with the GPS.

I've never used it for Geocaching and one issue you may have is that it seems to need a certain ground speed for the GPS to accurate show the direction you are moving.

Well Palm is dropping support for the OS and only making units with Windows Mobile.

Anyone use the HTC 6800 (Mogul) I really like it, it has built in GPS, runds windows mobile so you have lots of programs, and full keyboard. But does anyone use it for caching?

I have. It's a great phone/PDA/all in one. I still will use my 60csx most of the time, but with the right software the Mogul works as well.

Greetings,

If you were not on Sprint, I would say the Nokia N95 makes a fantastic fair-weather Geocaching device. It has a built-in GPS and runs a free version of Trimble Navigator. Trimble Navigator allow you to access premium features like wireless notes for free, and makes it quite easy to find some caches.

I would recommend checking the Geocache Navigator site for a list of compatible phones. THere are alot of of Sprint ones as you'll see on the link below...

http://www.geocachenavigator.com/GetStarte...74/Default.aspx

Hi Everyone!

- 4Chiliheads

Beaumont, CA

Hi, I work for Trimble and stumbled across your thread. The Blackberry pearl is fully supported by Trimble's Geocache Navigator application. The Centro is not unfortunately. You can get a free 30 day trail for the Pearl here:

Blackberry Geocache Navigator Trial

If I recall Sprint has a 30 day return policy. So you can get the Pearl, load Geocache Navigator, and see if you like it at no risk. We've had a lot of customers do this so they can determine if they like a particular phone overall. :)

Rich at Trimble

The two phones I'm currently looking at are:

the Palm Centro:

http://mobilebusiness.sprint.com/8130/?id9=SEM#/2/

and the Blackberry Pearl 8310:

http://mobilebusiness.sprint.com/8130/?id9=SEM#/0/

Anyone here use either of these phones for Geocaching?

Again, any help here would be great! Thanks!

-4Chiliheads,

Beaumont, CA

Well Palm is dropping support for the OS and only making units with Windows Mobile.

Anyone use the HTC 6800 (Mogul) I really like it, it has built in GPS, runds windows mobile so you have lots of programs, and full keyboard. But does anyone use it for caching?

I have. It's a great phone/PDA/all in one. I still will use my 60csx most of the time, but with the right software the Mogul works as well.

What software do I need to geocache with the Sprint Mogul? I have Telenav up and running. What software do I need to be able to download geocache coordinates from the website? Geocache Navigator doesn't list the Mogul as a choice when downloading.

What software do I need to geocache with the Sprint Mogul? I have Telenav up and running. What software do I need to be able to download geocache coordinates from the website? Geocache Navigator doesn't list the Mogul as a choice when downloading.

Well there are a couple. GeoScout is really slick as it does everything you need for caching. However it costs $40. I mostly use my Garmin 60csx for caching, and then use GPXSonar for the offline/paperless database of caches.

There is a bunch of GPS applications for Windows Mobile, a lot of them are even free. But GeoScout seemed to have the most features specifically for caching.

I have the LG 550 (Fusic) phone with Sprint and use the Geocache Navigator. Its works great! Gets me close to GZ, but not as close as a pure bread GPS unit would. I like it because I can find caches any time I'm out and didn't plan on caching.

Hi, I work for Trimble and stumbled across your thread. The Blackberry pearl is fully supported by Trimble's Geocache Navigator application. The Centro is not unfortunately. You can get a free 30 day trail for the Pearl here:

Blackberry Geocache Navigator Trial

If I recall Sprint has a 30 day return policy. So you can get the Pearl, load Geocache Navigator, and see if you like it at no risk. We've had a lot of customers do this so they can determine if they like a particular phone overall. :unsure:

Rich at Trimble

The two phones I'm currently looking at are:

the Palm Centro:

http://mobilebusiness.sprint.com/8130/?id9=SEM#/2/

and the Blackberry Pearl 8310:

http://mobilebusiness.sprint.com/8130/?id9=SEM#/0/

Anyone here use either of these phones for Geocaching?

Again, any help here would be great! Thanks!

-4Chiliheads,

Beaumont, CA