Geocaching terms...in Swedish

Hej Geocachare!

I’m an American and have lived here for a whopping 3 months now and am now taking SFI classes. Every week someone in class gives a talk about something that interests them and in two weeks I will be giving a talk about geocaching….in Swedish. Yeah, wish me luck! I would like some help straightening out the grammatics of some caching terms. Even though many caching terms are not officially Swedish words its important that I am correct in their usage.

I have already found the words: cache, cachen, cachar and cacharna used so that pretty much covers the noun form of the word cache. I have also found cachare used as “one who caches”. Would it be safe to say en cachare, cacharen, två cachare, and cacharna? In the states we also say that we “go caching”, do you use a verb form of the root word cach- to form a verb also? Other important terms I have found have been koordinater for coordinates, cachesida for cachepage, and delsteg which I hope is the equivalent of the word stage in English. Funny, but my Swedish dictionary is missing some of these terms! I have seen placera used for placing a cache but is there a form of the word “hide” that is also typically used either dölja or gömma, or would either work? Any additional comments about commonly used caching terminology would also be helpful.

The great part is that there is a cache within a few short meters of the school, so after my speech I can take a few folks out for their first find. Now if I could only find a little more time in between classes do some more caching myself. Thanks in advance for the help, tack för hjälpen!

KimandMolly

welcome to sweden!

I can understand you think swedish is difficult because of all peculiar grammar. I wish you luck.

In swedish there are a lot of new borrowed words from especially english, but also from middle east or balkan.

The word is the very same but the grammar will be in swedish, like the word cache. But after a while people find swedish words for the same thing and use them also. sometimes the swedish word wins, sometimes not, and the borrowed word wins. for the word cache you will often hear the word gömma(noun). and in my opinion these two words is used 50/50

English --- Borrowed --- Swedish

a cache --- en cache --- en gömma [n]

two caches --- två cacher --- två gömmor

go caching --- cacha --- leta gömmor

a cacher --- en cachare --- (en skattletare)

two cachers --- två cachare --- (två skattletare)

to place/hide --- att placera --- att gömma [v]

Edited by olandstoken