Digital mapping of ireland

Hi folks,

Has anyone found a supplier of Digital raster mapping for southern Ireland that is either compatible with Memory Map (and thus Pocket Navigator on the PDA) or that can be converted/calibrated to work with Memory Map?

I have seen that OS Ireland supply digital maps in .TIFF, DXF, DWG and NTF format, but have no experience in converting these to memory map format, has anyone tried to do so and if so, was it successful?

Many thanks,

Jon.

It is possible to calibrate .png graphic files into Memory Map (the non-OS version). You could convert the tif to png and use that, but if you have lots of small tifs you'd need to stitch them together first to make calibration easier/quicker.

If it wasn't for copyright issues, you could scan a paper map and calibrate that. I have heard of someone who has done exactly that with a paper map of parts of Austria and the results are good, so I've heard. I couldn't possibly condone such actions though.

It is possible to calibrate .png graphic files into Memory Map (the non-OS version). You could convert the tif to png and use that, but if you have lots of small tifs you'd need to stitch them together first to make calibration easier/quicker.

If it wasn't for copyright issues, you could scan a paper map and calibrate that. I have heard of someone who has done exactly that with a paper map of parts of Austria and the results are good, so I've heard. I couldn't possibly condone such actions though.

Seriously there are copyright issues with doing such a thing? I can understand that it's a problem if it's scanned and used by someone that doesn't own the paper version it was scanned from, but as long as you own it.... Bit like making MP3's from your CD collection to listen to on your IPOD isn't it?

The conversion and calibration excercise is I think the route I'm going to try, I just wondered if anyone has tried doing it already and if successful, has any tips? My last attempt to get a scanned image calibrated into Memory Map didn't go too well... :ph34r:

J

The conversion and calibration excercise is I think the route I'm going to try, I just wondered if anyone has tried doing it already and if successful, has any tips? My last attempt to get a scanned image calibrated into Memory Map didn't go too well... :ph34r:

That's what I did last month with scanned paper maps (which I'd bought!) of Germany. You need MM Navigator (as dino said), and I used Mapsource to help with calibration.

I identified three points which I could match up on both the Mapsource view and the scanned paper map (road junctions are the usual ones) and then a bit of copying and pasting of coordinates did the trick. It seemed to work well on the ground, and even though it's a little laborious it was worthwhile. You might be able to use Google Earth in the same way.

It's worth scanning and calibrating a larger-scale map of the wide area as well, to provide an overview.

If you have Mapsource (or any on-line map where this would be legal), it's possible to take a screenshot of a section, save it as a .png then load it into MM and calibrate it: handy for areas where there are no paper maps available and you want to see the map on the PDA as well as the GPSr.

I assumed that they'd be freely available to buy by now as we've got memory map.

Particularly interested in Dublin, Wicklow Mountains and the area around 'Europes First'.

It would appear that only Northern Ireland 1:50K maps are available from MemoryMap, not Southern Ireland. I guess you'll have to do what I did... ask around... beg... and finally give up your first born! :D

I assumed that they'd be freely available to buy by now as we've got memory map.

Particularly interested in Dublin, Wicklow Mountains and the area around 'Europes First'.

It would appear that only Northern Ireland 1:50K maps are available from MemoryMap, not Southern Ireland. I guess you'll have to do what I did... ask around... beg... and finally give up your first born! :D

Thanks, I'll give it a go! :)

When we went to Ireland/Northern Ireland earlier this year we used Open Streetmap on the Oregon but I also created an overlay of the county boundaries for MemoryMap on the Mio so I could be sure to tick off the counties I wanted.

If you've got TomTom, you don't need a map for Europe's First - just park the car and follow the path ;) The much overlooked Kyle's Cache (second oldest cache in Ireland) is a bit trickier to find without mapping though :D

Mark

When we went to Ireland/Northern Ireland earlier this year we used Open Streetmap on the Oregon but I also created an overlay of the county boundaries for MemoryMap on the Mio so I could be sure to tick off the counties I wanted.

If you've got TomTom, you don't need a map for Europe's First - just park the car and follow the path ;) The much overlooked Kyle's Cache (second oldest cache in Ireland) is a bit trickier to find without mapping though :D

Mark

Got a Tomtom, but we're probably getting the train down from Dublin to Europe's first. Not sure whether we're hiring a car as we're doing these few days away on the cheap.

OSM maps for Ireland are available from www.talkytoaster.info should those be of any help, they're included in the GB mapset :)

I've got a micro SD card of TT Maps which I'll be using, but it's a few years old.

Edited by Nick & Ali

I have 1:50k maps that cover most of southern Ireland. They are in .qct format and work with the version of MemoryMap that I use... OS Edition Version 5.1.3. Build 716.

I'm just a newbie here but I am also trying to get hold of .qct maps of Southern Ireland. Can you point me in the right direction (sorry for the pun!)

Thanks