Garmap™ Africa Series 2008 available now

geocacher_coza

Looks like a good map for geocaching to have!

AFRICA SERIES 2008 SOUTHERN AFRICA STREETMAPS, TOPO & REC, MARCH EDITION

Topo and Rec provides, in addition to the routable southern Africa street network, detailed topographic information such as 20m contours, rivers and forest areas for the whole region. Farm boundary data for South Africa and Namibia is also included.

Click here for more info and pricing...

Please note that you will have to buy the DVD from your nearest dealer or online to install and unlock this mapset.

:ph34r: Let me just say that waiting would probably be your best option. Garmap's website is so full of bugs and their phone support left me really disgusted. You cannot buy more than one mapset at a time, and going back and forth on the site, you can end up paying for one set and the software unlocks the wrong set. This was my experience : I went to buy the Mauritius maps, added it to the cart, went back to see how much the TOPO set would be. It then told me that I cannot add more than one item to the cart.... ok fine. So I went to pay for the Mauritius maps, only for it to unlock the streetmaps and TOPO. (I think it remembers what you clicked on last.) I don't want the 2008 streetmaps, as it is so big now that my eTrex Legend C with it's puny 24MB of memory cannot load Jhb And Pta at the same time. I then phoned Avnic, only to be told 'We will get back to you.' I'm still waiting. And I still don't have the maps I paid for unlocked..... :(:PB)

You cannot buy more than one mapset at a time, and going back and forth on the site, you can end up paying for one set and the software unlocks the wrong set. This was my experience : I went to buy the Mauritius maps, added it to the cart, went back to see how much the TOPO set would be. It then told me that I cannot add more than one item to the cart.... ok fine. So I went to pay for the Mauritius maps, only for it to unlock the streetmaps and TOPO. (I think it remembers what you clicked on last.)

Had the same experience. The "Error" message actually does some processing in the background so double check what you are buying before clicking on PAY.

I picked up my copy of the DVD yesterday at Cape Union Mart in Pietermaritzburg - the installation went flawlessly. Apparently the initial despatch of DVD's had a lot of errors in them (due to a faulty replication process of the master DVD), but they were quickly recalled from the dealers and replaced within a few days.

Although my eTrex Vista HCx cannot display the new DEM mapset, I have installed it on my laptop and it's awesome!

Map.png

On another forum one of the guys said that the Topo maps get a bit cluttered with all the lines.

The question to some of the guys that have the maps installed already. If you upgrade to the version with the Topo included, are you stuck with it like that or is there a option to only have the "normal" map?

I personally don't have a problem with clutter - I suppose you can reduce it by setting your GPSr to show less detail. Otherwise, have both mapsets loaded on your GPSr and toggle between the two.

Neville

If I read you correctly there is a possibility that if you buy the full Topo version, you still have the choice to load only DEM or full Topo on any divice/computer?

The screenshot looks great, cant wait to get back to SA and buy the new maps!

You need to buy both the Topo mapset and the DEM mapset - you can then toggle between the two mapsets. Remember, though, Garmin's rules are that you can only register a mapset to ONE GPSr only, although you can register more than one mapset to the same GPSr. You can also install a mapset to multiple computers.

Something else that I've just discovered with the DEM mapset:

Using DEM on Mapsource, it is possible to create a track which contains elevation data. Great for forward planning of a geocaching hike in the mountains!

So you can skip all the steep bits.... Heee heee heee..... Which mountain have you got in mind Neville? Come on let us know.... Have you found your other "Nipple"... I want to do one in the berg called Intunja..... Other wise known as Gatberg..... So I will have a Pierced Nipple cache.... If I ever get there.... Right now it is gonna be too cold....

Which mountain have you got in mind Neville? Come on let us know.... Have you found your other "Nipple"... I want to do one in the berg called Intunja..... Other wise known as Gatberg..... So I will have a Pierced Nipple cache.... If I ever get there.... Right now it is gonna be too cold....

My next mountain is shaped more like a - well, let's just say that it might be called "Neville's Haemorrhoid"! <_<

I installed the new maps and found it very useful. Yesterday we drove around some of the smaller towns and it is amazing to see that Ermelo, Belfast and the smaller little towns are in full details. However, I tried one of the smaller tracks and I ended up at a farmhouse with a very worried looking farmer. However, we had a nice chat and he offered us coffee.

I had to select fewer details for my quest as too much info was displayed. We then connected it to my laptop and it is great. For travelling and hunting caches in the future I will connect the GPS to my laptop to see all details.

The new maps are a great help and is worth every cent. I got myself lost in Swaziland in the past and with the new map and comparing it with the previous map I can now see why.

The new map gets my thumb up approval. It installed the first time with no surprises. I had a problem with n point previously but with the new installation this problem is also resolved.

I paid a price of about R195 for the maps and the key was free as I purchased my previous map set past 1 st January 2008.

Gerhard

I bought the street maps and the topo edition at a previous occasion. I can’t remember anymore the prices – it was something like R250 for the street map key and R500 for the topo key. I use the topo for off-road driving. Actually I never load the Quest with the topo maps but when I am off-road I use the topo on my laptop with the Quest. I then use n point to track my routes and to determine routes.

I updated both of them yesterday and it was both free of charge because I only updated them with the previous version on 3 rd March 2008. If you have bought a key for the previous version on 1st January or thereafter you will get the key for free. This is generous of them.

The new DVD contains the following and a key is needed for each one of them.

1. Garmap Africa series 2008 southern Africa streetmaps, March edition.

2. Garmap Africa series 2008 southern Africa topo and rec, March edition.

3. Garmap Africa series 2008 southern Africa DEM, March edition. (this is more of use for the guys with the Colorado)

4. Garmap Africa series 2008 South Africa waterways, March edition.

5. Garmap Nigeria Street maps, topo and recreation, March edition.

6. Garmap east Africa streetmaps V1.

7. Garmap Indian ocean streetmaps v1, Mauritius.

I have a quest 2 which I really like. I loaded all the maps on the set including Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland. I could be mistaken of the size but I loaded all of the new maps which were in the region of 350 kbyte onto the Quest 2.

Hope this is of some info.

Gerhard

On another forum one of the guys said that the Topo maps get a bit cluttered with all the lines.

The question to some of the guys that have the maps installed already. If you upgrade to the version with the Topo included, are you stuck with it like that or is there a option to only have the "normal" map?

If you want the "normal" maps you need to buy just the streetmaps.

FYI

Streetmaps, full set: 151.2MB

Topo and Rec, full set: 873 MB

I've loaded Topo and Rec on my GPSr although I own both. Don't have a problem with the contours and my declutter is off on my unit. I generally have the unit zoomed up to 1.2km and less. I think if you zoom out more it may get a bit hectic especially in KZN where it is contour mayhem.

GlobalRat is correct in that previously you were allowed two unlock keys to Garmin Maps. Could be that it still apply to Europe maps. But in the USA since last year and also for SA (Garmap - even longer) that ruling has been changed and only "One Map Licence per GPS'r" applies.

I have not tried the following but would like your feedback on the following:

I would like to buy the Southern Africa Streetmaps, March Edition. I have 2 GPS units so therefore I would have to purchase two unlock code. Do I unlock the maps twice in MapSource, one for each GPS unit, or do I have to unlock one map, install to the GPS, delete the unlock code, install the other unlock code and then upload the maps to the second unit, or do I unlock both units, and when I send the maps to the GPS unit, MapSource will sort it out.

Edited by Seeker Two

Hi Seeker Two,

I also have 2 units and the process is quite simple and automated.

Plug the first unit into your computer, connect to the internet and run the DVD. Follow all the prompts, make your purchase selection and pay online. The prompts will guide you through the installation and will unlock the mapset you chose for the first unit and it will then automatically transfer the unlocked mapset to the first unit.

Then, unplug the first unit and plug in the second unit and follow the same procedure as above.

There is no need to delete the first unlock code before the second unlock code is done - your computer's registry will record both. You can have as many mapsets unlocked on one computer as you like - the restriction is that each mapset can only be unlocked to one unit.

Neville,

I have one mapset but two unlock codes. One for each GPS unit. With both unlocks in the registry will MapSource know which code to use with which GPS ?

Steve

There is no need to delete the first unlock code before the second unlock code is done - your computer's registry will record both. You can have as many mapsets unlocked on one computer as you like - the restriction is that each mapset can only be unlocked to one unit.