gps V vs 60 csx

Which maps do you have on the GPS V? The older "City Select" maps could be put on two different GPS units.

Since last year, Garmin changed that so that City Navigator can only be put on one GPS. To put those maps on another GPS, you have to purchase additional "Unlock Codes."

I currently us a garmin gps V an mapsorce. I f I purchase a gpsmap 60 csx can I still use the old software for detailed street mapping or will I have to purchase new software.

Thanks

Unless you purchased the V very recently you should be able to use your second license. The bigger question is "what happens if you update map source?" I suspect that you will only be able to use it with one of your gps's.

I went through this with no problem but I have not tried to use the V with the newer mapsource.

Jerry

I currently us a garmin gps V an mapsorce. I f I purchase a gpsmap 60 csx can I still use the old software for detailed street mapping or will I have to purchase new software.

Thanks

The software that came with the V can be used on two GPS units. The last City Select (about the same thing as City Navigator) that will work with two GPSs is City Navigator Version 8. 2008 or later only unlocks for 1 GPS.

I sold my gpsV and got the 60csx. Prior to that I had bought mapsource 4 and then upgraded to 6. Unlocking the 60csx as my second unit.

Recently I tried to upgrade to 2008 on the 60csx. NO GO, garmin says I can only upgrade to teh gpsV (which I sold a few years ago).

In short, I have to buy a full version to upgrade. I'm not happy with the situation enough so that I will never buy another road map product from garmin again.

Since I now use my HTC TILT phone running TOM TOM I find it a much better autorouter than the 60csx (the garmin was really never meant to be an end all road router anyway). TOM TOM using the phone internet connection gives me traffic updates and routes me around traffic jams. cant beat that!!!

My 60csx now will be used when I boat/fly/geocache but not for turn by turn navigation while driving.

Thanks

The software that came with the V can be used on two GPS units. The last City Select (about the same thing as City Navigator) that will work with two GPSs is City Navigator Version 8. 2008 or later only unlocks for 1 GPS.