Assateague Island Beach Bonfire 2008

Polgara

:grin:

I usually arrange for this by phone/mail with the NPS for the permit, and site reservation, etc. However this year I went in person to tie up the loose ends, and I am glad that I did. When I reserved the site for this year's fire, the NPS neglected to tell me on the phone that the entire parking area is under construction, and they had no idea when this project would be finished. This meant that everyone planning on attending the bonfire would have had no where to park other than in an overflow lot. This would have been fine, except the overflow lot was across the main road beyond the fee booth, which is an additional 1500 feet away from the start of the dune crossing, which for cachers that have attended this event, know that once they hit the dunes they have at least another 300 feet up and over the dunes until they get to the fire site.

I do not feel it appropriate to ask cachers to haul all their possessions that far, especially since when the fire ends, we all leave in the dark. I also cannot ask the guys to help with the wood hauling over that far of a distance. I tried to negotiate with the NPS to allow us at least one car trip up over the dunes in my jeep to at least dump the wood, and they would not allow it.

I am bittersweet about this, I really enjoy the fire, especially on the beach, its been so much fun with everyone that has attended in the past. Its been a relaxing event, one of the few BYOB events that is not in a bar/ restaurant, the kids could make sand castles, etc., and the best parts were the sunsets, the moon risings, KrazyTrollz with her signature jello shots, and everyone just enjoying a great time around the fire.

However, I don't enjoy dealing with the NPS.

I am irritated that they omitted the fact of the construction, yet were going to be happy to take my application fee, and the parking fee for all my attendees. It hasn't made me happy in the years past that they keep raising the site rental fee, which has now doubled since the first bonfire, especially since every year they have emphasized on clearing all trash from the site, yet they do nothing about having the dumpster emptied, for us, when they know there is a scheduled party, and when I requested if it would be possible to have it emptied ahead of time, they looked at me like I was an alien....so much for CITO. You would think such an environmentally saavy organization would care to have the dumpster emptied, especially with the ponies trotting around that no one is allowed to feed. Then there was the evening the ranger stopped by to remind me that my fire was too far above the high tide line....yet looking up and down the beach my fire was closest to the water, go figure.

Will there be a fire next year? I don't know. As much as I love dealing with the NPS, I won't let that determine whether or not I have the fire next year, they just 'are what they are'. I enjoy the fire and chatting with other cachers way too much to let the NPS be the determining factor. But anyway for now, happy caching, and have a great summer season!

-Polgara

Majorly bummed here to find out that the bonfire has been cancelled..... I just love the firreee on the beach. Sorry to hear you had such a problem w/the park system. Like MH said, there will be a group of us down there that weekend, if you're around, stop by and say hello!!!!

I too, sure hope it works out better for next year!!!!!!

I've dealt with the NPS for other events and have had similar problems. The only good news is that the general attitude at the very top seems to be improving and as the idea that the parks are for the people to enjoy trickles down to the individual managers, the situation will improve. Of course that may take most of a generation as we await those key retirements.