Geocacher Hall Of Fame

Should there be a Geocacher hall of fame? If so, who would you nominate as an icon and why?

I would nominate Jeremy. that is a no brainer.

Mtn-Man for his leadership over the years.

Markwell for being the keeper of archives.

Renegade Knight for a level head point of view.

Keystone for wisdom and balance.

These are just a few I would nominate. You?

El Diablo

King Boreas. 1600+ hides. The Babe Ruth of cache hiders.

I agree re KB. [And entirely OT: So what does that make me? Babe Ruth now ranks #1 only in Slugging Percentage and OPS (On-base Plus Slugging) -- which makes me Ted Williams in both cases. Or were you using the Babe as an example of excellence with no superlative reference?]

King Boreas. 1600+ hides. The Babe Ruth of cache hiders.

I agree re KB. [And entirely OT: So what does that make me? Babe Ruth now ranks #1 only in Slugging Percentage and OPS (On-base Plus Slugging) -- which makes me Ted Williams in both cases. Or were you using the Babe as an example of excellence with no superlative reference?]

It makes you Barry Bonds. You've been drinking those oil can sized Fosters since you were a teen. :grin:

I'd like to nominate those guys who hid the first generation of caches in our respective areas, sadly too many of them have dropped out of caching.

I too would nominate King Boreas not only for the amount of hides he has done but also for the events he has held through out the years here in Minnesota and for the fun he brings to the hobby. I would also say Dave, aka The Cheeseheads for It'sNotAboutTheNumbers.

Edited by minnesotabrad

There is a cacher here in my area that goes by the handle mondou2. 12952 finds. Thats pretty incredible. We met out on the trail one day and he was very nice to talk to. We have also found a few of his hides and those are very creative also. I still have to chuckle to my self when i think of mondos GEO cache.

I'd like to nominate those guys who hid the first generation of caches in our respective areas, sadly too many of them have dropped out of caching.

I'll definitely second this one! Ah, the good ol' days of having to drive more than quite a few miles between hides, and the knowledge that they would almost always be worth the drive because the first gen folks only hid caches in places "worth visiting".

People I immediately think of:

Breaktrack

Renegade Knight

Snoogans

Briansnat

Moun10bike

MtnMan

Jeremy

JoGps

King Boreas

And then the locals, without whom caching in Montana wouldn't have taken off as fast:

Leonata & Yumitori

Asatruar

RScout & SBerrybump

Elkhunter & Mickeymouse

RAM Explorers

MrGrubstake

River Runner

And even those who should not be named: :(

Skydiver

Team Alamo. How can someone who is approachng 30,000 finds not be on such a list.

There probably isn't a single cacher in the top 100 finds/hides or forum posts that hasn't had a measurable impact on the community. Yourself included.

Just so you know, there is no space in TeamAlamo. Well their username, that is. And as for their finds? *Total Caches Found 31783

Just so you know, I just checked less than five minutes ago.

Thanks. gwf :):(:D

Edited by greenworldfeather

My votes, from the realm of caching finds, is Oculus Prime, a famed hoax finder (with many hundreds of finds before they were removed by the admins), and also the famed Geoposer, who logged finds on extreme 5/5 caches all across the world in one sort afternoon.

My vote from the realm of forum posts is, well, I will post a note about that shortly....

I nominate Vinny for his off-the-wall, out of nowhere crazy posts that never fail to enliven a discussion. Not to mention all those Psycho caches that I wouldn't in a million years have the nerve to do... but I sure like reading the logs! :rolleyes:

Second that one!

I nominate Vinny for his off-the-wall, out of nowhere crazy posts that never fail to enliven a discussion. Not to mention all those Psycho caches that I wouldn't in a million years have the nerve to do... but I sure like reading the logs! :rolleyes:

Second that one!

Yes, gipsie, I agree. It is indeed certain that you would never, in a million years, have the nerve to do any of my Psycho Urban caches! On the other hand, your nemesis Lalynya became, the other day, the first person to tackle Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations solo and survive, and also succeed at it! You see, she has courage, while you, well, you only have the courage to pop the pop-tops on your cans of cheap American swill, I mean, beer, and settle into the sofa and watch a G-rated movie on TV!

Team Alamo. How can someone who is approachng 30,000 finds not be on such a list.
There probably isn't a single cacher in the top 100 finds/hides or forum posts that hasn't had a measurable impact on the community. Yourself included.
Just so you know, there is no space in TeamAlamo. Well their username, that is. And as for their finds? *Total Caches Found 31783

Just so you know, I just checked less than five minutes ago.

Thanks. gwf :unsure::rolleyes::ph34r:

You do realize you're responding to a post that is almost a year old, right?

I think President Reagan would be a good candidate to be inducted, considering none of us civilians would have GPS units... if it wasn't for him.

:rolleyes:

You didn't think they originally planned to let just anyone play with a multi-billion dollar satellite system? When Korean Air flight 007 was shot down over Russia back in 1983, Reagan ordered that civilians be allowed access to the GPS system. So, if it weren't for him, no one (civilians) would've had GPSr's when the big switch was flipped by Clinton. Of course, there really wouldn't have been a reason to flip the switch if Reagan hadn't have placed the "civilian use order" in the first place.

Wikipedia: GPS (Look under the timeline.)