I tried, I failed, and I have been found wanting...

Jonny Ryan Mac

:unsure:

So I went out and Geocached today with a buddy. We used his Tom Tom style GPSr and didnt find anything. We would get to an area and swoop around and in the bushes, under rocks, under cacti.

Is teh GPS bad? Or am I not looking where I should be looking? I really dont want to quit, but If I never fgind anything.....ahhh I'm just blue. We planted two Caches that day, so if the coords are bad then I'll have to go back and re-do the coords with a new GPSr.

You tell me, is an in car "Tom Tom" fit for geocaching?

So I went out and Geocached today with a buddy. We used his Tom Tom style GPSr and didnt find anything. We would get to an area and swoop around and in the bushes, under rocks, under cacti.

Is teh GPS bad? Or am I not looking where I should be looking? I really dont want to quit, but If I never fgind anything.....ahhh I'm just blue. We planted two Caches that day, so if the coords are bad then I'll have to go back and re-do the coords with a new GPSr.

No need to quit. It takes awhile to get the hang of it (which is why some people will tell you you shouldn't have placed any caches yet...)

There are threads on this site discussing the Tom-Tom and it's use for this activity. Maybe do a search and do some reading.

What caches did you try? Were they micros? Regulars? Were they in an area you knew well?

Did you read the cache page a couple of times... maybe read the logs. Was the difficulty listed as a 5?

Most people recommend a difficulty of 1-2 for your first few. And a size of small at least, but regular is better. An area you know with a really good description on the cache page is good too.

This isn't as easy as it sounds... the caches are well-hidden for a reason. :blink:

I hope you don't quit - but try again. Maybe enlist the support of a local who's been at this for awhile. They can help you to learn what to look for and what certain things mean.

Hope that helps a little.

~Ariel

EDIT: Also... I highly recommend spending some time here on the board reading threads. I've been reading here for over a month, and only have 14 finds to my name so far. BUT I feel like I've learned a LOT from just reading. It's amazing the things you can find here....

Edited by Ariel_PSU

It's as you described it pretty much. A Tom Tom is made for vehicle travel. However since I don't have one or have never used one I'm not sure of it's accruacy. I would suggest getting the cheapest handheld you can find for caching though.

El Diablo

I agree, the Tom Tom is just not the best choice. However, for some caches getting you near is all you need.

Which ones? Typically, those rated 1-1.5. Check the map page associated with the cache, the topo view if available and see where it puts you. You can make notes about where it seems to be and go from there taking the printed page with you. Pay attention to size, any hints, and read over the past logs.

A suggestion would be to go to a nearby event and then go on a cache run with some other folks. Hang in there, you'll get the hang of it.