I need advice on a GPS unit

PenguinMafia

I've been interested in geocaching for quite some time, and recently discovered that there are 20+ caches within a mile of my place! All I need now is some advice on buying a decent gps device. I'd prefer not to go above the $200-250 range. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated, cause all the review sites have left me feeling dizzy. I'd prefer to hear what actually works best for people who are actually doing this.

I'll be sure to return the favor in the caches. I've got plans for some very interesting contributions!

And if this is as fun as I think it's going to be then I'm sure I could get several other Wichita friends of mine interested as well.

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get out there and start hunting!

Edited by PenguinMafia

Depends on how far you use it, I mean in the woods or deep woods. I've got 3 and use for one for mine hunting in the thick tree's and tight canyons one needs to a signal. So now that the one I've wanted come down to my price $300 I got the Garmin 60CSx @ Amazon. That was 2 moths ago and now there below $280. Well worth it, they have refurbished for less. I like just plugging in and drop the locations in the GPS to.

Take a look at the Lowrance units. I got an XOG a while back and really like it. Came with dash-windshield mount and car adapter for $230.oo and you can get all the maps you want cheap on SD cards.

2 hr battery life only drawback I have found so far- does charge back fast though. All the complaints I read in reviews were from people not using it properly. :grin:

I've been interested in geocaching for quite some time, and recently discovered that there are 20+ caches within a mile of my place! All I need now is some advice on buying a decent gps device. I'd prefer not to go above the $200-250 range. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated, cause all the review sites have left me feeling dizzy. I'd prefer to hear what actually works best for people who are actually doing this.

<snip>

Welcome to the Forums! :grin:

Visit the Garmin Site and check out the new Garmin 'H' units on their "Comparison Page." Those have "High Sensitivity" receivers. Check out the units that connect to your computer with USB. The units with 'x' in the name mean they have "expandable" memory for adding lots of maps, and Custom POIs.

The least expensive of those full-featured units is the Legend HCx. I spent the extra $20.00 to get the Vista HCx. It offers long battery life for going on hikes. I got older Topo maps on eBay, but also got the auto-routing maps which are very useful for where I drive. If you are familiar with your area, and don't travel very much, you might not need the City Navigator maps.

I just ordered my Garmin Etrex Legend Hcx from thenerds.net for $182 which was the best deal I could find (with a reputable company). I've spent a few weeks researching and decided I didn't need the compass and barometric altimeter of the Vista Hcx for $40 more.

Good Luck.

I'll be sure to return the favor in the caches. I've got plans for some very interesting contributions!

And if this is as fun as I think it's going to be then I'm sure I could get several other Wichita friends of mine interested as well.

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get out there and start hunting!

Buy a used Garmin 60csx. Should be able to get one in that price range.

i bought a 60csx from Amazon last week. Free shipping, at $299.00 I had a gift card for $25, but even at $299 it is well worth it. So far I am happy. I just need a few maps..... :)

WHO DEY!