staging a cache.

Bad_CRC

So, I've talked about geocaching enough that a couple of friends want to try it, and I'm going to bring them out in a few weeks (when the weather is just perfect) to a couple caches in the area that are very nice.

In order to help make sure they have an enjoyable time, I plan on going out to the caches the day before to make sure they are still there, and restock them with good swag other than broken dirty happy meal toys and candy wrappers.

Sure I'll let them know the 'truth' about swag and bad caches, but I figure if the first couple finds aren't fun, they are less likely to want to continue.

Anything wrong with doing this in your opinion?

Something wrong with going out, verifying a cache, restocking it with nice swag? How could that POSSIBLY be wrong???? The community will benefit in addition to your friends.

When I've taken new people out, I haven't gone to that trouble, however. Caching is what it is in my opinion...no reason to make them think it will always be as grand as you stage it to be. I sometimes take them to caches that I know are nice or that have been recommended by others to try to highlight some of the better spots or creative hides.

I see nothing wrong with it. When my family comes up to visit I plan to take them to known caches first, as I'll be more familiar with them than others, then we can venture forth to ones I haven't found either. I like the idea of revisiting the ones I've been to to verify they are still there, but I'll likely only do that if they haven't been found in a reasonable amount of time prior to when I take the family. Since my father is an avid Geocacher I don't think I'll be adding SWAG to them, he knows what to expect. Since your friends will be new to the sport I can understand wanting the reward at the end to be appealing, but don't underestimate your friends enjoyment of the hunt. If you've talked about it enough I bet they've picked up on several aspects that make Geocaching fun for all walks of life.