Geocaching friendly Auto GPS units

Looking for a good GPS, preferrably Garmin, to use in the automobile that I can download Caches into from GSAK. One that will offer me the best routes to use to get to the caches (Tell me in real time when/where to turn) and is easy to download from GSAK. Using my current Garmin 60CSx is not working out for me while driving. Suggestions? Also want to keep the price reasonable (I know I want everything don't I?). Model number would be useful. I apologize if this is a repeat question on this forum.

Burgi Dad

Any of the Garmin car units will do this. What is not working the way you want with the 60csx?

My eyesight and the fact it doesn't talk to me. Plus I have never gotten use to using the streets and maps functions. It would be nice to be able to go into an area I'm not familiar with and have the GPS let me know the best way to get to a cache instead of turning doen deadend streets etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Just get a low end Nuvi, like a 250W. You can get anything on there with GSAK. The screens are much larger, brighter and you get voice guidance.

On the 60csx issue, it should be auto-routing you correctly as well as anything, there is just no voice guidance.

It would be nice to be able to go into an area I'm not familiar with and have the GPS let me know the best way to get to a cache instead of turning doen deadend streets etc.

Thanks for the reply.

If a cache is located away from the street no matter which Auto unit you get you will run into this problem. Since the cache doesn't have a street address the GPS just gets you to the closest street address it can find next to those coordinates. So it may send you down a dead end because the end of that street is 40 ft. from the cache coordinates, even though one street over there may be better access but it's 100 ft from the parking lot to the cache. When a gps does this I just ZOOM out and look for the best access point. I've used a 60cs with CN v7 a 60csx with CNv8 a streetpilot with CNv8 and a Magellan 2200t and they all would put me a street away sometimes. I don't know if one unit handles these kinds of problems better than another, but I doubt it.

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. We went out and bought a Nuvi 260W and have been playing with it for the last couple of days. Works great! Yes, it did take us to an area one street away once, but it got us close and thats all I ask. Now all I have to do is get the thing to display all the caches I have loaded. Time and playing with it using GSAK to do the load will probably solve this. I have only loaded a .gpx file directly to it without going through GSAK so far and even that seems to work.

The real test will be out west in approximately 32 days! :)

Burgi Dad

How close does the 260W get you to the cache? I've heard most Nuvi's will stop navigating you to your destination once you get within 50 feet of your target(?)

The problem with most "automotive" GPSr's is they are not very rugged for use while Geocaching out in the woods. Accidentally drop it in water or on a rock and it'll likely die right there :)

Magellan and Lowrance do make "crossover" GPSr's that supposed to bridge the gap between automotive & outdoor models. I don't think Garmin makes a crossover style GPS yet(?)

It would be nice to be able to go into an area I'm not familiar with and have the GPS let me know the best way to get to a cache instead of turning doen deadend streets etc.

Thanks for the reply.

If a cache is located away from the street no matter which Auto unit you get you will run into this problem. Since the cache doesn't have a street address the GPS just gets you to the closest street address it can find next to those coordinates. So it may send you down a dead end because the end of that street is 40 ft. from the cache coordinates, even though one street over there may be better access but it's 100 ft from the parking lot to the cache. When a gps does this I just ZOOM out and look for the best access point. I've used a 60cs with CN v7 a 60csx with CNv8 a streetpilot with CNv8 and a Magellan 2200t and they all would put me a street away sometimes. I don't know if one unit handles these kinds of problems better than another, but I doubt it.

ditto

I was trying out my Nuvi 250W yesterday on a cache 2 minutes from my house and although it ended in a DNF (I umm didn't read the clues) I was probably less than 5 feet from the cache. I will go back tonight and find my first now I have a better idea what to look for!

Use of the satellites screen really works wonders once you figure out how to read it! :)

I can understand some users issues with the 60 CX not talking to them, but there are solutions. I have an bean bag auto mount for mine so it is sitting on the dash in an easily readable location. I have mine set up with different sounds for telling me to read the instructions and for making my turns. I have found this to be an excellent way to auto route. I used to use the Magellan Never Lost. I got really tired to it telling me to turn around when I took a different way then it wanted me to. The 60 CX just recalculates the instructions to fit my new course.

I also have mine set up so that when I get close to the parking spot I can tell it to recalculate and I can select off road. This eliminates the follow road issues when I get close to the cache.