Please show me yours! (GPS mount)

First let me say that the boards have been great. I was able to search for and find all of the answers for backing up, loading up, using my new CO 400t and finding my first cache.

Now I'm getting set to order MapSource City Navigator North America NT, a Vehicle power cable and a mount. I drive a smaller SUV, 2006 xTerra, which doesn't seem to have a flat surface on the dash and a window mount would seem to either put the gps to far away or impede my view.

Which mount is the most popular dash/adhesive or window/suction cup mount? Will the adhesive disk method work on surfaces that not quite flat? Does the window/suction cup bother your view? Anyone feel like showing a picture of you mount setup?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

First let me say that the boards have been great. I was able to search for and find all of the answers for backing up, loading up, using my new CO 400t and finding my first cache.

Now I'm getting set to order MapSource City Navigator North America NT, a Vehicle power cable and a mount. I drive a smaller SUV, 2006 xTerra, which doesn't seem to have a flat surface on the dash and a window mount would seem to either put the gps to far away or impede my view.

Which mount is the most popular dash/adhesive or window/suction cup mount? Will the adhesive disk method work on surfaces that not quite flat? Does the window/suction cup bother your view? Anyone feel like showing a picture of you mount setup?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

I have the mount Garmin sell and reaaly think it's easy to use and unobtrusive. It is certainly better than the Explorist mounts.....I recommend it. I have had it attached to my window since I bought it and it has not fallen off once. I took some pics, hopefully they will turn out.

go here: http://www.webersarmy.com/mount

p.s. please excuse the dust :)

I use the R.A.M. mounts exclusively -- never had a failure. Besides mounts for two of my three GPSr's (still waiting for the Garmin Colorado mount) I have mounts for three police scanners, a laptop mount, two satellite radio receivers and my tablet PC.

Here is one for my Nokia 770. This a a Linux-based tablet PC that I use for road navigation using a Bluetooth GPS receiver.

I drive a smaller SUV, 2006 xTerra, which doesn't seem to have a flat surface on the dash

I had the same problem with my 1999 Nissan Pathfinder, and solved it. I would explain how, but it would be better with pictures, and I can't find a way to include them. When I try to insert them the editor asks for the URL. My photos aren't on the web, so I don't have one. I guess my basic membership doesn't qalify me to have a gallery? :unsure: If someone can tell me how to get the photos into my post, I'll do it.

For my old reliable meridian I use a RamMount, the 4" riser bar and the permanent mount "disc", never had a problem. When I get a 60cs I will use a rammount that will work with what I already have.

As far as posting go to photobucket.com and open an account (free) upload your pics to there and use the image tag, copy it and paste it on another forum within a message. like this

100_2678sm.jpg

Sorry it is the only pic I had handy, don't have one of my ram mount, just an example.

Edited by earthshaker

We just use a cheap generic cell-phone holder. I think we got it at Walmart for about $7.

It looks like the love-child of a penguin and a Teletubby.

7ac5f2fe-6c35-46c4-b2cc-20a8e9148568.jpg

just the right size for the etrex line:

0931d14c-ad6e-4cfc-aeba-d1c7feec027a.jpg

there's a small piece, maybe an inch tall, that sticks to the dash; the rest is removeable:

9df78884-3e11-4ebc-97a9-60aca21ddc1a.jpg

I use this method for the Nuvi (flat case) but it probably would work with others.

I stick a piece of Velcro on the back of the unit and the opposite piece up in the left corner of the windshield and just stick it up there. Pop it off and stick it in my pocket or some safe place when parked.

This is also nice because you can do your screen work in your hand and then stick it in place.

I also have a Velcro square on the passenger side in cass I have a navigator that wants to mess with the GPSr.

I have the Ram mount that I have velcroed with industrial velcro to my dash and a handlebar clamp attached to my ATV. A freind of mine had a ball joint on his Ram break off from his ATV and they sent a replacment no questions asked. Now that is customer service. I will try to get a pic and upload it when I get time.

I also use to have that same RAM suction cup mount, but after a few years mine kept falling off the glass. RAM was kind enough to replace it for me but I was still nervous about using it again. It's really unnerving to be driving along and then suddenly the GPS falls off the glass.

So I decided to hard mount a RAM 1" ball to the side pillar. With this setup my view out the windshield is totally unobstructed and I won't have a problem with the cops since in California it's technically illegal to mount anything to your windshield. I had to use a RAM swivel arm instead but it works great. I also ran 12V power up to a jack next to the mount.

gps_mount1.jpg

gps_mount2.jpg

I also use to have that same RAM suction cup mount, but after a few years mine kept falling off the glass. RAM was kind enough to replace it for me but I was still nervous about using it again. It's really unnerving to be driving along and then suddenly the GPS falls off the glass.

So I decided to hard mount a RAM 1" ball to the side pillar. With this setup my view out the windshield is totally unobstructed and I won't have a problem with the cops since in California it's technically illegal to mount anything to your windshield. I had to use a RAM swivel arm instead but it works great. I also ran 12V power up to a jack next to the mount.

gps_mount1.jpg

gps_mount2.jpg

Very elegant solution! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

My 2005 xterra has a "tray like" spot on the top of the dash, right above the radio. A garmin beanbag mount fits well in there. I'd think you'd have that same spot on your '06. Holds my 60CSx just fine and hasn't once moved around or fallen off.

b7698958-ad50-45d8-a610-ea15dda80c83.jpg

e9e793a3-c2d6-498c-8e2a-8d51bff5e2e4.jpg

Take a look at www.mountguys.com. I bought a Garmin nuvi 260W 10 days ago. I bought a spare (stock suction cup) mount so I can switch between my wife's car and my truck, but had a heck of a time finding a suitable mount to attach to my Honda Shadow Spirit motorcycle... until I found the Mount Guys webpage. The can fix you up with just about any type of mount you need! The stock suction cup mount works just fine in my wife's 2007 Pontiac G-6 and in my 2005 Dodge Ram - but I'm in Calfornia and it's now against the law to attach anything to the windshield. So the disc to attach to the dash works just fine, provided you scrub anything (such as Armorall) off first. Do use some alcohol as the final cleaner. Since California leads the nation is dumb laws, it's just a matter of time before the other states also outlaw suction cup mounts attached to the windshield.

We just use a cheap generic cell-phone holder. I think we got it at Walmart for about $7.

It looks like the love-child of a penguin and a Teletubby.

7ac5f2fe-6c35-46c4-b2cc-20a8e9148568.jpg

just the right size for the etrex line:

0931d14c-ad6e-4cfc-aeba-d1c7feec027a.jpg

there's a small piece, maybe an inch tall, that sticks to the dash; the rest is removeable:

9df78884-3e11-4ebc-97a9-60aca21ddc1a.jpg

Can you turn the unit at an angle for the driver or is this a flat mount with no turning?

tnle2 I believe that is a Honda you are driving, quite possibly around a 1998 model. (Same car I have) I was curious to how deep I could sink a screw into the window frame there. What type/size screw did you use?
tnle2 I believe that is a Honda you are driving, quite possibly around a 1998 model. (Same car I have) I was curious to how deep I could sink a screw into the window frame there. What type/size screw did you use?

Yep, my car is a 2000 Accord. I didn't screw the mount to the car frame. The mount is fastened to the trim piece. There is a gap between the inside of the trim piece and the actual car frame. I took the trim piece off (it pops off) and drilled two holes through it. The RAM mount screws go through these holes and is fastened with locknuts to a special wooden backing plate that I made which matches the inside surface contour of the trim piece. I think I used a couple of stainless steel 8-32 pan head screws.

In my previous vehicle, i used the adhesive disk to mount the Garmin mount to the dashboard, which worked well, until the car got REALLY hot and melted the adhesive into a gooey mess. Then I got some epoxy, and PERMANENTLY affixed it there. I traded that car in, so I have no idea how or if it came off. Not wanting to do anything to the dash in the Jeep Liberty, I bought the beanbag mount, and tried that for a while, but the Jeep doesn't have much of a dashboard, and the bag would fall off when I would accelerate from a stop. So, I took a piece of electrician's wire and fed it through the defrost vent, and looped it around one of the extended sections of the beanbag. No, it's not pretty or sexy, but it also does not require me to damage my vehicle, and it has never once fallen off. I also have the windshield suction mount, which really sucks...only not in the good way. It usually stays up ok, but inevitably falls off at some point on the trip. It also does block my view somewhat, and would be illegal in CA. Good thing I live in UTAH, where citizens still have SOME rights.

Maybe I will post a photo...but you can get the picture. It's not rocket science: Beanbag mount...piece of wire...defroster vent. ;) They gave me the wire for free at home depot.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

I bought a "bean bag" mount that has a flat middle disc to mount the suction cup. It sits well on the dash or console without sliding. Garmin makes it but they don't sell it online. I found mine through Amazon. Works great. I have cup mounts for the 400t and my 60 csx.

DrPerp

RAM suction cup mount for my 60CSX.

1120071257.jpg

This is a picture of the mount from RAM's web site. The model is #RAM-B-166-GA12U

RAM-B-166-GA12U.jpg

I have the same RAM mount and have it placed on exactly same spot too.

I also use this exact same mount, but I position it a little more left and up. this way the GPSr is not touching the dash. With it standing free of the dash, it is a little easier to pop the GPSr out of the mount. this mount works like it was glued to the windshield. In the year I've had mine, it has only came loose one time on its own. The part that holds the GPSr was a little stiff at first, but has loosened up a little over the year.

The Garmin bean bag mount I bought for my Nuvi. For owners of Oregons and I believe Colorados. If you already have a Nuvi windshield mount or bean bag friction mount its not necessary to by the whole Auto kit @ $40 or so. I had the auto power cord and inquired about just buying the cradle that holds the Oregon to the mount, Yes it is available through Garmin. Has a ball socket on the back compatible with Nuvi mounts. It cost $8 shipped. Unfortunately I don't have the part # for it looks like the invoice got tossed.

SDC10154-1.jpg