How much do you spend on containers?

lacazg

I recently paid $5 for ammo cans. It was an okay/good deal.

I bought 80 small lock and locks for $1 each. These are large micro/small small size. I mostly use them for swag, rather than as caches.

In the end, with the cost of gas for return trips, an ammo can at a reasonable price is your cheapest container. In urban areas, where an ammo can is inappropriate, lock and locks. I'd expect to pay $4ish for a trading sized lock and lock.

Plastic containers eventually disintegrate under the Sun, and rocks put on top to hold them down. They'll also warp due to the heat, or break due to expansion rates between cold and hot.

Slender ammo boxes available at most military surplus stores are ideal; they run about $5-$7 and are very durable (larger ones run $8-$10), capable of surviving fires. The German butter dishes are small-sized containers that run about $3. The orange and green "micro" matchbox containers are plastic but thick enough to survive everything but a fire; they run under a buck at Walmart or online vendors.

Edited by Chuy!

Depends on the location of the hide. I will use just about anything that is reasonably water tight to something like a lock & lock that is waterproof. As for cost well that again depends on the hide but for a single container not more than $10... I can get ammo cans locally for that :) or less and most of the plastic containers have cost less than $3. Garage sales and the local rummage room are a great source.

There's a guy in Cocoa that runs a store selling caching stuff. His ammo cans are $4 each. If I have to shop locally, I pay about $6 each. Since I typically buy 10 at a time, I save $20 driving to Cocoa. I like to buy the Lock & Lock sets. Seems to work out cheaper in the long run, plus you get several different sizes. I get my decon kits on line, for a few bucks each. Bison tubes come from E-bay for about a buck each, after shipping. Match containers come from Wally World for $0.88.

I was at store today and I saw a set of seven lock n' lock type containers for $30. Would you consider that a good deal? What containers do you usually buy and for how much?

For $30 you could get in the neighborhood of 15 to 30 ammo cans if you look around for a deal. I bought part of an auction lot from Ft. Hood and got 50 .50 cal. ammo cans for $50 and 15 .30 cal. ammo cans for $30.

I use M&M minis containers for micros and a case of 24 is $7 at Sam's Club.

I haven't seen a billet steel or aluminum micro container for less than $4 each.

My wife gets medium to small lock-n-lock containers at Target for a buck each.

In Beatty, Nevada there is an old guy selling surplus containers on the side of the road across from the 76 station. (He's ALWAYS there.) I've gotten several different LARGE sized containers (Mk7 grenade to 20mm) over the years and never paid more than $10 a container. Giant ammo cans make an impressive find.

When I see prices higher than what I've mentioned here, I don't buy, but then I have more containers than I have time to hide right now so I can afford to wait on decent prices. :) I have about 40 ammo cans in the garage, but I still buy more when the prices are good. Usually when Moosiegirl wins an auction. :)

I like to recycle things that would otherwise get thrown away and make them into small cache containers. My favorites are stick deodorant containers. They don't rust and are reasonably water-proof. For greater water proofing just add a plastic bag inside. To make a larger container I'd try using a coffee can w/bag or maybe a cocoa can. South Mountain Traders www.southmaountaintraders.com has Bison tubes for about $1.49 each. I just bought 4 and a nice geocaching sticker for my car window for around $10. he only charges $1.99 total postage. (end of commercial) For camouflage you can go nuts... I like ragged pieces of burlap colored with marker pens. Or use blobs of painted caulking compound to simulate roots and branches to break up the outline of the container.

A local cacher had a deal, that if a group bought in bulk, we'd save a bunch.

Picked up ten 30cal cans for 2.50 each.

Worth considering, as ammo cans hold up better than any other container (so far.)

Found that the actual "lock 'n lock" brand holds up far longer than the cheaper imitations found at dollar stores. BUT, they're getting up there in price and actually MORE than ammo cans for the larger sizes.

I've tested several containers but the best is "lock n' lock" or "clip & close".

Depending of the size and shop I've to pay around...

small 2€ 0,24 liter

medium 4€ 0,67 liter

medium 5€ 1,1 liter

large 6€ 4,6 liter

maxi 10€ 10 liter

Ammo Box waterprooft: 7€ to 9€ (depending on size)

It makes no sence to use very cheap containers. You have to exchange them to fast and many are not 100% waterprooft.

Happy hunting,

Martin

I live in Washington, it doesn't get too hot. Does anyone who lives around here have problems with plastic lock n' locks?

The only problems I've seen with them is when they get rain water in them. :unsure:

If you watch the NorthWest forum, Nick from Berta, Nick and Zoey watches for Ammo Can Auctions at Ft. Lewis whenever he thinks he can get good deals. That link is for a thread for a ''database' he keeps on who wants what.

If you want some right away, I got 10 from the last buy at $3 each and would be happy to sell you a couple.

I was at store today and I saw a set of seven lock n' lock type containers for $30. Would you consider that a good deal? What containers do you usually buy and for how much?

Considering the sizes you'll get, it is probably a good deal. You could even save some to use in the kitchen(Gasp).

In Beatty, Nevada there is an old guy selling surplus containers on the side of the road across from the 76 station. (He's ALWAYS there.) I've gotten several different LARGE sized containers (Mk7 grenade to 20mm) over the years and never paid more than $10 a container. Giant ammo cans make an impressive find.

More expensive when you factor in the gas, but getting to Beatty is worth the drive, and you can Cache all the way there. only for a GeoCacher would Beatty, NV be a "Destination", for half rthe est of the world, it's just where to get gas on the way to Death Valley. I've seen the cans there, but not stopped to buy yet.

Found that the actual "lock 'n lock" brand holds up far longer than the cheaper imitations found at dollar stores. BUT, they're getting up there in price and actually MORE than ammo cans for the larger sizes.

HaHa, I got my "actual" "lock-n-lock"s at the dollar store.

I spend between $0, and $10, but for my birthday I made my friend spend $30 for a giant Ammo Can. Now that I'm on the road, I'll be releasing that one as a TB Cache, instead of hiding it. It's filled with everything normal, but GIANT sizeed!

some things I've used(some are good, others not):

Lock-n-lock, film can, key holder, mint/gum tin, plastic jar, rubbermaid, tennis ball can, boat box, decon container

My current favorite is a Camping/Boating box from WM for $6-9, waterproof with rubber seal and full hinge down one side, two locking clasp on other "shatterproof Polycarbonate material"

An idea I've thought might not be bad for a small cache in the right environment, Baby Food jar. In a place where it's unlikely to get broken, and unlikely to get a rusty lid, I think it would work.

If you've ever seen the way someppeople screw the lid to the rafters in the basement, that might work in some places, or attach a 2" round magnet under a wooden whatever, and stick the lid to the magnet.

You could even save some to use in the kitchen

:grin: I confess, I am actually using some lock and locks in my kitchen. And have 2 in each kayak, they make great dry boxes for camera/wallet/granola bar/pen.... tuck in next to the seat, and will tether with a bit of braided nylon through the lid slot. I used a decon or two for this, but the lock and locks have better sizes.

It has been awhile since I've purchased a set of lock-n-locks but wanna say $30 seems a wee bit high. But trying to chase down a deal can end up costing more in gas and effort sometimes.

I've found some pretty good deals on line and web surfing can be easier when getting a deal.

As far as some of the comments about LNLs not holding up. I'm in the mtns where temps get below freezing and the LNLs do very well. WE have found the knock offs do not seal as well.

The following site I have used to buy altoid like tins in bulk. http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin7b.html

If you went in with a group you'd do really well. I also have bought their plastic screw top jars as well. I paint both and they do pretty well.

My most EXPENSIVE cache container I did cost $50 a month, LOL It was the end of my now archived The Whoo Hoo Cache. It was a storage building filled with boxes that cachers had to sort through to find the gumball machine hidden in the back covered with a stack of boxes. Cachers could if they wanted for an extra treat put 2 quarters in and get a container that had some gum and a GC related prize, patch, pin, etc. It stayed active a little over a year. I'm currently thinking up another multi that will tap my resources and give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. lol

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bf-7a2ebfade470

:grin:

Edited by Laineybug

Lock and locks seem to work ok, but don't stand up to the elements (or bears) nearly as good as an ammo can.

One of my lock and locks has been bear muggled for the 3rd time now and I'm replacing it with an ammo can tomorrow. $6 locally for the small size, a little cheaper if I'm willing to drive about 20 miles one way.

$8 locally for large size ammo cans.

For you lazy cachers, at gander mt. A plastic water bottle that comes with swag. One with items for survival, another with items for hunters, each has about eight to ten items. Alittle camo tape or paint and instant geocache. Oh and the cost is only about $10.00. Like I said quick, easy and cheap. :lol:

If you have a Shaws Supermarket near you, look in the isle where they have 10 for $10.. (In other words, $1.00 items.) My "That Was Easy" series, I picked-up the boxes for 2 for $1.00. a pretty cheap 3" X 3" X 1" mini tupperware knock-off. (the ORIGINAL Tupperware.).. Though, as someone mentioned, Cold New England weather is murderous on these.. Already had to replace one that got shattered, in under 4 months of being placed.

Lock-N-Lock's are fairly cheap, Wal-Mart, Target.. A clearing house, "Ocean State Job-Lot", carries a knock-off (Green silicone seal instead of the true L-N-L Blue silicone seal.) which look fairly rugged. (though, I've heard others already say they're cheaper grade, and won't survive the cold either.)

Worst I've done, was something like $15.00 total on an entire cache. Included a BIG L-N-L, spray paint, 2 magnetic key holders, and 2 blank keys.. And I still haven't deployed it. (Still trying to find a good place for each stage, and they're going to be be Spaced apart by a few miles!)

(This Won't be a "walk to next stage" multi!)

Stephen (gelfling6)

My local Gander Mountain gets pallets of big ammo cans (.50 cal?) in once in a while. They sell them for 6.99 a piece. At the surplus store, I can get 2 .30 cal cans for 10 dollars. I'm sure if I bought a whole bunch I could get a discount rate too. ;)

I'm always keeping my eyes open for cool containers. I would love to get a massive ammo can someday.

Last month I was biking to work, and spotted these weird looking containers on the other side of the fence next to the freeway. The next day I came back with a stick and a strong body to lift the fence so I could get them. Turns out they're old autoclave-like containers, made out of THICK glass with a metal top that latches and seals. We were both thinking that if they were thick enough to survive a fall off a moving vehicle at 60 mph, it'd be durable enough to sit in the woods for a couple of years. I just need to sanitize them for safety and set them out! I got 3 of them, and they were free. :)

Too much.

I have purchased 6 waterproof match cases, 10+ Lock & Locks, 12 waterproof pill keychains, 30 preforms and 3 ammo boxes.

Not sure what I'm going to do with them all... probably place only a handful more caches and I'd like to do a few original ideas as well. The rest will be used for replacements as necessary I suppose.