Frustrated with Garmin Etrex

HELP please! I have anew Garmin Etrex Vista Hcx and am trying to upload (or download, whichever it is) caches to it. I get a message that Garmin Communicator is not detected. I've downloaded and installed that thing multiple times, however. I would love to get this going for our trip to Portland OR next week but it's frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I have a Dell Axium pocket pc...can I use this for paperless caching? What would I need to do, any software needed. Any help is really appreciated.

By the way, could the problem be related to Microsoft Vista on my computer by any chance? :(

Thanks, Rita

I don't know much but I do know it shouldn't be Windows Vista.. We just got an Etrex and have vista too and I remember something about my husband getting an error at first too, but I cannot remember how he fixed it. He is working tonight but if he calls, I will ask!

I don't know much but I do know it shouldn't be Windows Vista.. We just got an Etrex and have vista too and I remember something about my husband getting an error at first too, but I cannot remember how he fixed it. He is working tonight but if he calls, I will ask!

No, don't tell me that! I am beginning to detest this Vista! I was afraid that might be the problem. If you find out how he did the work around, please let me know, I would really appreciate it! Thanks

No, don't tell me that! I am beginning to detest this Vista! I was afraid that might be the problem. If you find out how he did the work around, please let me know, I would really appreciate it! Thanks

tag for updates

I got curious and did a search, here are some links I found:

garmin vista quirks

vista compatability

I have a laptop with vista on the way that's why I was concerned. I've found some other links for other vista issues. Not everyone has problems with it, I'm hoping to be one of them. I got extra memory, faster processor, and better video card in hopes that will help, I heard it would.

I guess I'll see.

Since you are a Premium Member, you can get Pocket Queries. Then, if you load those into GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), you can send the waypoints to your GPSr using it. I also Export the cache information to my Palm m515, which has Cachemate installed on it, from GSAK.

I got it to send to my gps using Easy Gps but not sure if that's the best or not. Kind of tedious! I'll give the Cachemate a try and see if it will work with my Axium. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you