Travelbug Logs

TheCarterFamily

Sorry another usability question. Hopefully this will be my last... and my stress levels can go down. :(

It's been suggested to track my journey from cache to cache I turn myself it a human travel bug. (ie register a TB tag and just log my journey from cache to cache)

I've discovered that cache owners can't directly delete travel bug logs.

1. Do travelbug logs show up in the MyFinds (To impatient to wait 7 days to pull one)

2. I see you can pull a list of caches via the kml. But is there a way to pull the logs (if their not in the MyFinds)?

... and I do realize as a last resort I could just save the page to my HD and parse the HTML for the logs.

And again the reason for those who need to know it. I've been laying out the ground work to create little animations which track my geocaching journey by a combination of geocache logs, my digital pictures and my GPS track log.

Ain't Linux, Blender, Gimp and DVDAuthor wonder things ;)

How did you attach the tag to your body? Enquiring minds want to know.

Why go through all that effort when (as a premium member) you can download a pocket query of your caching history. You could then use the date and coordinates from each cache to drive your animation. Cool idea, in any case.

How did you attach the tag to your body? Enquiring minds want to know.

Why go through all that effort when (as a premium member) you can download a pocket query of your caching history. You could then use the date and coordinates from each cache to drive your animation. Cool idea, in any case.

Funny... I like that... now where's my drill :(

As for the other comment, I take it you haven't seen the war on the other posts. Where it's the cache owner's right to delete any log they see any type of justification for. The animation scripts get all screwed up when cache logs start to go missing. Thus the travel bug idea. Those logs can't be touched by cache owners, and allows me a quick visual to manage all the logs at a glance.

1. Do travelbug logs show up in the MyFinds (To impatient to wait 7 days to pull one)

2. I see you can pull a list of caches via the kml. But is there a way to pull the logs (if their not in the MyFinds)?

No, and the only logs and list of caches would be the ones present on the TB page when you 'dipped' in and out.

right to delete any log they see any type of justification for. The animation scripts get all screwed up when cache logs start to go missing. Thus the travel bug idea. Those logs can't be touched by cache owners, and allows me a quick visual to manage all the logs at a glance.

So what you're proposing instead is to spam caches logs with your fake TB because you can't be bothered doing some maths or marking coordinates on a map yourself.

What's the point of having a TB logo on a cache in that case?

right to delete any log they see any type of justification for. The animation scripts get all screwed up when cache logs start to go missing. Thus the travel bug idea. Those logs can't be touched by cache owners, and allows me a quick visual to manage all the logs at a glance.

So what you're proposing instead is to spam caches logs with your fake TB because you can't be bothered doing some maths or marking coordinates on a map yourself.

What's the point of having a TB logo on a cache in that case?

Just want to clarify "..doing maths or marking coordinates on a map yourself..." Are you refering to my animation scripts? If so are you suggesting I can't be bothered to keep off-line records of my journey?

If that's the case... I guess the question is, if I have to spend all this time maintaining my logs off line, why bother logging anything on GC.com in the first place? Or did I not understand your point?

Also the TB idea has a major flaw anyways. Virtual and Earthcaches don't allow for a TB to visit.

Going back to the original request, this is actually an interesting concept. I'm sure a number of us would love to be able to produce a little animation graphic showing our virtual journey from cache to cache.

Being a systems programmer, though, I have to ask if there's another way to fix the problem listed. Ideally, the weekly pocket query showing just your finds should be sufficient, however (as is pointed out) the cache owner can override that thus rendering your logging method invalid. Rather than solving that by becoming a travel bug, is it possible to do the same thing with a GSAK export? I know you can write the contents of GSAK to a file on your drive, but I haven't had a chance to look at the various options for that export. Perhaps someone with more familiarity with the product can answer that. If you can do it, then not only do you have a good means of testing your animation program, but you would also have a viable means of being in full control over the log and running the report at your leisure.

Besides, once you become a travel bug, you run the risk of being picked up by a horder and lying for months in the sock drawer of someone that has completely forgotten your existence...

Going back to the original request, this is actually an interesting concept. I'm sure a number of us would love to be able to produce a little animation graphic showing our virtual journey from cache to cache.

Being a systems programmer, though, I have to ask if there's another way to fix the problem listed. Ideally, the weekly pocket query showing just your finds should be sufficient, however (as is pointed out) the cache owner can override that thus rendering your logging method invalid. Rather than solving that by becoming a travel bug, is it possible to do the same thing with a GSAK export? I know you can write the contents of GSAK to a file on your drive, but I haven't had a chance to look at the various options for that export. Perhaps someone with more familiarity with the product can answer that. If you can do it, then not only do you have a good means of testing your animation program, but you would also have a viable means of being in full control over the log and running the report at your leisure.

Besides, once you become a travel bug, you run the risk of being picked up by a horder and lying for months in the sock drawer of someone that has completely forgotten your existence...

I really wish people would either port GSAK to linux or stop talking about it... :)

In anycase, using a system like GSAK would mean maintaining the logs in two places. I'm lazy, so I start asking myself the question, if I'm maintaining all my logs in two places... why bother logging anything into GC.com at all? (and don't answer that... it's just sarcasm ;) )

I have been working on a similar project using a Geocoin.

Some of the caches I have visited are now locked, I can't even post a note to drop my coin!

Oh, well...it's not the end of the world.

I have come to accept that some stops have been omitted, and there is nothing I can do about it.

The cool thing is I can download a .kml file of the coin's travels (MY travels!) and Google Earth will fly me through the entire journey.

Realizing that we do not live in a perfect world will reduce your stress level immensely.