Replacing Missing Caches

A cache that I felt was in a great location (educational write-up and some history involved) was missing. After a month or so I decided to contact the adopter of the cache (original hider is no longer into it). I asked if they had plans to get this one going again, they said they did but weren't sure when they would be able to make it back to the area.

I volunteered a cache, and they accepted with a thank you and the cache is now active again.

On one hand, I guess a part of me was hoping he'd offer to let me adopt it :(

On the other hand it's nice knowing that it's back in business and people can enjoy it once again.

Was that the right thing to do or would you just wait it out?

...On one hand, I guess a part of me was hoping he'd offer to let me adopt it :(

On the other hand it's nice knowing that it's back in business and people can enjoy it once again....

The classic two hands problem.

On the one hand, if you had asked if you could replace the cache and then adopt it...you would not need the other hand...

However you thought about that after the fact, so either know you did a good thing with the replacment and be happy, or ask them if you could adopt the cache, or perhaps get a byline for maintaining it. It won't hurt to ask. Either way nice job on doing a good thing.

A cache that I felt was in a great location (educational write-up and some history involved) was missing. After a month or so I decided to contact the adopter of the cache (original hider is no longer into it). I asked if they had plans to get this one going again, they said they did but weren't sure when they would be able to make it back to the area.

I volunteered a cache, and they accepted with a thank you and the cache is now active again.

On one hand, I guess a part of me was hoping he'd offer to let me adopt it :(

On the other hand it's nice knowing that it's back in business and people can enjoy it once again.

I think you did the right thing. I don't care who maintains a cache when I am hunting them I could not tell you who the hidder I carry extra logs and baggies with me and am happy to replace a wet/full/missing log with it which is about 10% of the time. Not the same a the cache but still an effort. I am trying to get the time to go to a cache about 20 miles from my house and replace a cache container that a critter decided to chew up. The owner has moved out of the area and offered to let me adopt it but I don't want to because I don't get over to it very often but I will be happy to replace it once just to keep it going it is about a 3 year old cache.

You could send them anohter note, saying you enjoy the cache and were glad to be a part of keeping it active-- and letting them know you are willing to adopt it if they "ever" get tired of maintaining a cache that is so distant. As odd as it sounds, it may not have occurred to them to offer to let you adopt it.

On one hand, I guess a part of me was hoping he'd offer to let me adopt it :)

I think you gave yourself some good karma. That practice is very common out here. Maybe someday someone else will return that favor! :)