Sat Navs

Can Sat Nav units be used as a subsitute for the more traditional handheld GPS units? Already own a Garmin unit, can't remember the model but I do know it's green, but were wondering whether cache location data can be entered into a Sat Nav in the same way as I would with the Garmin. Just think it'd be a more convienent option.

Sorry, if this sounds a bit thick as I've absolutely no knowledge of Sat Nav units.

Cheers

Can Sat Nav units be used as a subsitute for the more traditional handheld GPS units? Already own a Garmin unit, can't remember the model but I do know it's green, but were wondering whether cache location data can be entered into a Sat Nav in the same way as I would with the Garmin. Just think it'd be a more convienent option.

Sorry, if this sounds a bit thick as I've absolutely no knowledge of Sat Nav units.

Cheers

I know some people cache with Sat Navs, and you can upload POI's (which are very basic, just a location). I don't envy them, they really are not built for the job and depending on the unit may not work at all off road.

Philip

You'll find that a lot of geocachers are purists and frown on satnavs but it can be done - see this thread. My TomTom has a better chip than my Etrex so gets a better signal. I download geocaches to it using GSAK so I can not only navigate to the parking (IMO TomTom knocks the spots off Garmin for road use) but I can also use it to find the cache.

That said a hand-held GPS is far easier to hold/use in the field so I still use one but I'll still use my TomTom to pick up the odd cache that I wasn't expecting to pass.

You'll find that with all the new innovation in GPS on PDAs, phones, PSPs, etc the days of the traditional outdoor GPS may well be numbered. :(

You'll find that with all the new innovation in GPS on PDAs, phones, PSPs, etc the days of the traditional outdoor GPS may well be numbered. :)

Not until they make them rugged enough to take being dropped in the mud, on rocks etc out in the environment that the actual outdoor user needs them for. Not all cachers stick to the urban jungle!

I have a Garmin nuvi 610T satnav which I have used to find a few caches though our normal unit is a Garmin 60CSx.

With this satnav, I can enter co-ordinates as you can with a normal GPSr. When on foot, you can change the driving mode to 'pedestrian' and the 'fastest' route to the 'shortest' and hey presto. However, the maps away from the roads aren't that detailed and the direction arrow is a bit hit and miss at walking pace. The best way to track down the cache is to watch the distance (in feet) reducing as you get closer.

It can be done.

I use my Tom Tom (Or Juan Juan, as it is in southern american spanish language) To get to cache parking, or if parking is not specified, I input the cache coords, leave it in car mode, and it will take me as close as I can get on the road, which is usually the best place! From then on, it's the trusty blootoof GPSr and Tungsten Palm.

The battery life is given as 2 hours max on most satnavs but as has been stated excellent to get you to the parking area but not if you have a longer than say 1.5 hours on foot.

Its working out which is the best method for you that counts ; go for it but remember that the TomTom especially just dies when the battery is finished ;)

Cheers

Its probably a safer way to use your SatNav than using it in the car. It means the sontarans can't get you.

Cheers

Its probably a safer way to use your SatNav than using it in the car. It means the sontarans can't get you.

:) wiping coffee off the monitor...

Anyone notice how the sontoran satnav came with a free electric window upgrade too - maybe Garmin should diversify....

I would recommend the Nuvi car satnav. I have found it to be an excellent geocaching unit and have got about 800 caches in 6 months with it. Battery life is 4 hours so is a problem if you are going for a long walk. However if it is straight eg along a canal and a fair distance to the next cache you don't have to have it turned on. It recharges in the car pretty quickly so if you are doing a lot of driving then it shouldn't run out of juice- I used it for a 15 hour caching day in Milton Keynes and it never got close to running out of juice.

I would recommend the Nuvi car satnav. I have found it to be an excellent geocaching unit and have got about 800 caches in 6 months with it. Battery life is 4 hours so is a problem if you are going for a long walk. However if it is straight eg along a canal and a fair distance to the next cache you don't have to have it turned on. It recharges in the car pretty quickly so if you are doing a lot of driving then it shouldn't run out of juice- I used it for a 15 hour caching day in Milton Keynes and it never got close to running out of juice.

Unlike my TomTom which just goes off when its battery decides its finished after 2 hours B)