My wife's geocoin idea

ECplus3

I was talking with my wife the other day about all the upcoming events in our area, and which ones I'd like to go to. She jokingly (I think) referred to herself as a geocaching widow, and then said 'somebody ought to make a coin for us!'

She even came up with a catchy motto... but I don't know if Groundspeak would approve it. :(

"Geocaching widow: my spare batteries aren't for my GPS!"

For the front I envision a version of the painting 'American Gothic'. Instead of the farmer there is just a white cutout with a yellow post-it stuck to it saying "gone 'caching". The farmer's wife is rolling her eyes. I don't know what to put on the back yet (besides the motto).

I was talking with my wife the other day about all the upcoming events in our area, and which ones I'd like to go to. She jokingly (I think) referred to herself as a geocaching widow, and then said 'somebody ought to make a coin for us!'

She even came up with a catchy motto... but I don't know if Groundspeak would approve it. :(

"Geocaching widow: my spare batteries aren't for my GPS!"

For the front I envision a version of the painting 'American Gothic'. Instead of the farmer there is just a white cutout with a yellow post-it stuck to it saying "gone 'caching". The farmer's wife is rolling her eyes. I don't know what to put on the back yet (besides the motto).

ROTFLMAO... how true! I'd buy one!!

Yes, you might want to clean up the motto, it's a bit risque for a family friendly audience.

Eartha you've got a dirty mind!! The geowidow could be using batteries for any number of appliances; mp3, CD player, cell phone, gameboy, etc. etc.

Yes, you might want to clean up the motto, it's a bit risque for a family friendly audience.

Eartha you've got a dirty mind!! The geowidow could be using batteries for any number of appliances; mp3, CD player, cell phone, gameboy, etc. etc.

Hey, it was all in the way aren't was underlined that leads one to think "what does that mean.... OH! My word!!" Did not want to go there. :( My mind is not dirty, just aware. ;)

Hey, it was all in the way aren't was underlined that leads one to think "what does that mean.... OH! My word!!" Did not want to go there. :) My mind is not dirty, just aware. :(

;):)

Hey, it was all in the way aren't was underlined that leads one to think "what does that mean.... OH! My word!!" Did not want to go there. :) My mind is not dirty, just aware. :(

;):)

Keep the motto, and go non-trackable. My most recent Personal coin would never have been approved by GC if they had seen it.

Eartha, there's nothing wrong with having a dirty mind....if you keep the correct company.

Hey, it was all in the way aren't was underlined that leads one to think "what does that mean.... OH! My word!!" Did not want to go there. ;) My mind is not dirty, just aware. :(

:)

Keep the motto, and go non-trackable. My most recent Personal coin would never have been approved by GC if they had seen it.

Eartha, there's nothing wrong with having a dirty mind....if you keep the correct company.

Having just received a Shop99er Blue Shirt v4 in the mail this week, I can attest to the power of the non-trackable, I about died from hysterical laughter when I saw the reverse side! ;)

So, if TPTB won't approve the original "saucy" text, go for a non-trackable, and throw in a couple batteries with each order! :(

Having just received a Shop99er Blue Shirt v4 in the mail this week, I can attest to the power of the non-trackable, I about died from hysterical laughter when I saw the reverse side! :)

Now you've got me all intrigued! But I'm guessing its not something you can post a picture of, eh?

So, if TPTB won't approve the original "saucy" text, go for a non-trackable, and throw in a couple batteries with each order! :)

That's a great idea! But I'm not sure you can ship batteries through the mail. I'll have to think about that.

So, if TPTB won't approve the original "saucy" text, go for a non-trackable, and throw in a couple batteries with each order! :)

That's a great idea! But I'm not sure you can ship batteries through the mail. I'll have to think about that.

You can mail batteries :) That would be pretty excellent!

You can mail batteries :) That would be pretty excellent!

Having just received a Shop99er Blue Shirt v4 in the mail this week, I can attest to the power of the non-trackable, I about died from hysterical laughter when I saw the reverse side! :)

Now you've got me all intrigued! But I'm guessing its not something you can post a picture of, eh?

3906.gif

It says

"All you need in life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego.... brains don't mean s**t."

It's flaired out in red on the image but spelled out on the coin.

Hey, it was all in the way aren't was underlined that leads one to think "what does that mean.... OH! My word!!" Did not want to go there. :D My mind is not dirty, just aware. :)

:)

Personal experience, Eartha :D:D:D

You can go ahead and put me down for a few if you do it

That's a great idea for a coin

I don't think it makes a rat's to any real collector of coins if it's trackable of not. I know when I look at a coin I don't even look at the tracking number on a coin unless it's part of the artwork.

I say make it!!

One more thing: Why not have a non trackable coin dedicated to a non-cacher?

Edited by seaeye

That's exactly what my wife said! It'll save some bucks too. But for the purpose of keeping this thread alive on the forums, I'm going to look into making it trackable.

I'll keep you posted.

Another thing to keep in mind (for those interested in this concept) is that I'm already in the process of having a coin made. This one will have to wait until the other is done, and at least breaks even in sales.

Another question: does Bryan Roth go by 'Rothstafari' on the boards? And is that who I talk to about coin concept approval?

That's exactly what my wife said! It'll save some bucks too. But for the purpose of keeping this thread alive on the forums, I'm going to look into making it trackable.

Shame. Approval from TPTB can take the snap out of a great idea.

Here's my first draft of the front of the Geocaching Widow coin. Like I said, it borrows from American Gothic (the painting, not the TV show). The colours are off, because I just did a quick convert from Illustrator to .jpg.

widow_front.jpg

Updated the image to finish off bits I had left blank; fixed the widow's nose (poor girl!); and signed my name to the note :(

Edited by E&Cplus3

Hey, it was all in the way aren't was underlined that leads one to think "what does that mean.... OH! My word!!" Did not want to go there. :) My mind is not dirty, just aware. :)

:P

Personal experience, Eartha :P:):P

I certainly hope you are not referring to me.

I do like the idea of this but I do not like the pitchfork. I looks a bit creepy and sad in a way I don´t like. It´s not fun to be a geocaching widow but still, no.

grodan

Without the pitchfork, it just wouldn't be American Gothic. Which is an icon in itself, so you wont' have to design an icon. heheheh :)

american-gothic-large4.jpg

I know it's one of the most reproduced and parodied works of art, but I don't know about copyright issues with it. You might want to check into that if you go ahead with that idea.

Hey, it was all in the way aren't was underlined that leads one to think "what does that mean.... OH! My word!!" Did not want to go there. :P My mind is not dirty, just aware. :)

:P

Personal experience, Eartha :D:):)

I certainly hope you are not referring to me.

*is innocent...*

HONEST!! :):D:P

I know it's one of the most reproduced and parodied works of art, but I don't know about copyright issues with it. You might want to check into that if you go ahead with that idea.

I believe, as a parody, the Fair Use defense would apply. However, fair use is just a defense, not a protection against being sued. So I will be contacting the estate of Grant Wood to see what they have to say. I imagine I'll have to keep the reverse of the coin PG in order to have a hope of getting their permission.

My wife wants one! or more.

I thought it should look like a battery. But the design is AWESOME.

lol

That's a great idea! Assuming this one gets made, maybe the Geocaching Widow, v2 will be the battery. It could be a Geocaching Widower too.

I may be getting ahead of myself though. I've already got one coin in the works, so the GW v1 is just an idea at the moment.