CN or MetroGOld

Ok so I am unsure what to do here, from reading the forum here it seems like going with CN and Metrogold are about the same for what I want to do. I want to be able to load both Driving maps and topo maps on my 76CSx at the same time and use the for navigation and hiking.

If I buy both CN and Topo USA can I do this?

From the website for Metrogold they say you can. However, there is no price difference between MetroGuide and CN, well it is like 4 bucks so who cares. But I would also have to pay 6 for MetroGold. But really 10 isn't that much. Can anyone give me any advice on what would be the best way to go? Thanks.

PS My wife and I only have one GPSr right now, I don't know if we will buy another one anytime soon.

Ok so I am unsure what to do here, from reading the forum here it seems like going with CN and Metrogold are about the same for what I want to do. I want to be able to load both Driving maps and topo maps on my 76CSx at the same time and use the for navigation and hiking.

If I buy both CN and Topo USA can I do this?

From the website for Metrogold they say you can. However, there is no price difference between MetroGuide and CN, well it is like 4 bucks so who cares. But I would also have to pay 6 for MetroGold. But really 10 isn't that much. Can anyone give me any advice on what would be the best way to go? Thanks.

PS My wife and I only have one GPSr right now, I don't know if we will buy another one anytime soon.

It is possible to put CN and Topo 2008 on the 76CSX at the same time, although you will run up against a 2025 segment limit before you get all of Topo 2008 on the card. The main advantage of Metrogold is that Metroguide has no unlock code, so it can be put on multiple units and will provide autorouting after running Metrogold (in units that will autoroute).

MetroGold is used to crack MapSource MetroGuide so that it will autoroute on your GPS. MetroGuide is not “locked” so it can be loaded on many GPS’s. “CN”, I’m assuming you mean City Navigator is a “locked” map product that autoroutes out of the box but can be only loaded on 1 or 2 GPS’s depending on which version you buy. MetroGuide North America v.8 was the last North American version released back about 2005 so the map and POI (Points of Interest) data is more like 2004, about 4 years old. City Navigator North America NT 2009 is just about to be released. The “Update” version has been released and the “Full” version is maybe a few weeks behind. This version would have more update map and POI (Points of Interest) data but can only be installed on one GPS. I doubt that there will be any other new versions of MetroGuide North America released because of MetroWizz and MetroGold.

However, there is no price difference between MetroGuide and CN, well it is like 4 bucks so who cares. But I would also have to pay 6 for MetroGold. But really 10 isn't that much. Can anyone give me any advice on what would be the best way to go? Thanks.

If you're OK paying full retail, and only have one GPSr with no plan to get another, then CN is OK. But if you're cheap (like me) and/or want to use the same map product on multiple GPSrs, then get a used copy of MetroGuide and MetroGold. You can find it used on eBay, Craigslist, the GPS Garage Sale here, and various other places online. DO NOT buy a used copy of City Navigator on DVD or CD, since you'll just have to pay Garmin for an unlock code, negating any savings.

Just some information about MetroGold

This software goes into same category as key generators.

You can not modify any Garmin software.

LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR GARMIN SOFTWARE

====================================================

3. LICENSE RESTRICTIONS:

(a) You have no rights with respect to the Software or any portion thereof and shall not use the Software or any portion thereof except as expressly set forth herein. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, You agree not to (i) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, modify or create derivative works of the Software; (ii) sublicense, lease, rent, assign, distribute, repackage, rebrand, or otherwise transfer or disclose the Software, any portion thereof or any accompanying documentation to any third party; or (iii) cause, assist or permit any third party (including an end-user) to do any of the foregoing.

Edited by jotne