British Columbia Geocaching Association 2008 Coin

_canadianbacon_

08coin-sidebanner7.jpg

http://www.bcgeocaching.com/index.php?name=Geocoin

The Steller's Jay and the Pacific Dogwood are perhaps the two official symbols that are seen by most British Columbians. Few British Columbians have not heard the song (or annoying squack) of a Steller's Jay. Although the dogwood is native to the southern part of the province, many dogwood trees have been planted in towns and cities across BC since it was named our floral emblum in 1956.

Pre-orders will be open until May 12, 2008. The geocoins will be ordered shortly after that date and will be shipped as soon as we have them in hand (approximately the second week of June). At that point we will also release the number of geocoins being minted in each finish.

The price is $10 Canadian.

Specs:

- a stained glass effect coin

- diameter 45 mm

- thickness 4.2 mm

Shipping rates:

- local Pickup (Vancouver, Victoria) is Free

- to Canada is $3 for first coin, $0.30 for each extra coin.

- to USA is $3.50 for first coin, $0.40 for each extra coin.

- international is $6 for 1-4 coins. $10 for 5-8 coins. $16 for 9-12 coins. $20 for 13-16 coins

All coins are trackable on geocaching.com with a unique icon.

They come in two versions.

Available to Public Satin Silver Geocoin:

c-silver-front.jpg

c-silver-back.jpg

Available to BCGA Members Satin Gold Geocoin:

c-gold-front.JPG

c-gold-back.jpg

Edited by _canadianbacon_

Sorry, these are ALL pre-orders (details on the ordering page). There is pretty much unlimited quantities. On May 12 we shut down ordering, and get them manufactured, for delivery in June.

As a note, the effect does not come through too much on the photograph of the sample, but the Dogwood and Stellar Jay are in the 'stained glass' effect, when held up in the light it is stunning.

Thanks for all the interest!

Quick! Who here is in the BCGA! :(

I'm down for 2 in silver. Unless some friendly BCer comes to my aid I guess I'll have to hope for trades for the gold.

There have been some 30 Satin Gold versions pre-ordered in the first day, I know we have many avid coin traders in the area so I'm sure there will be a few available for trading. Heck, I got 3 Gold ones myself on order. ;)

Edited by _canadianbacon_

There was a discussion whether we should allow the public to buy both coins. But the BCGA executive decided that membership was very important to us and our members should be rewarded, even in this small way, for all they have done for the BCGA. For that reason the gold coin is only available to BCGA members.

The gold coin will be very rare and most likely increase in value moreso than the silver. Just for reference, the 2007 BCGA geocoin sold on an online auction for approximately 6 times its original price only a few months after minting. And that was a rather plain coin in comparrison to the 2008 issue.

How about some goodwill sales to other associations :) I'm a member of the ACGA.

Just kidding. I'll wait for trade opportunities.

I actually have a cousin in Victoria in the BCGA, but he's going to miss out on this coin since he's at sea for the next three and a half months.

Very, very nice coin.

Since we only collect geocoins with flowers we would love to have both metal versions.

But unfortunately we are not BC residents.

Is there a BCGA member that is willing to purchase an extra Satin Gold geocoin for us??

Please send us a PM.

Best regards,

Alie and Gerrit Jan aka GeoTeeth

from the Netherlands

How about some goodwill sales to other associations ;) I'm a member of the ACGA.

Just kidding. I'll wait for trade opportunities.

I actually have a cousin in Victoria in the BCGA, but he's going to miss out on this coin since he's at sea for the next three and a half months.

I wish I could do a few goodwill sales but the BCGA members would tar and feather me in the town square.

I'm sure most ships have internet communications these days. Isn't there any way to contact your cousin?

I'm sure most ships have internet communications these days. Isn't there any way to contact your cousin?

Thanks for your concern, but there's no worries on that score now. He got his posting to Vancouver 2 days before his ship sailed, so he didn't go on the cruise.

Four Canadian naval ships left Esquimalt Harbour on April 13th - two went to the Gulf and two went to train in the Pacific. The first two are due back in mid August and the remaining two are a month later maybe? I know that the sailors have e-mail to keep in touch with family but I don't know that they have time online to read the forums. If anyone knows any Canadian Forces BC geocachers that are currently away feel free to send them an e-mail and ask them if they would like a coin or three put aside for their return, then send a note to landsharkz@shaw.ca and Chris and I will cover their purchase until they get back to BC and can square up with us. We will need to know their first and last name and also their caching handle.

I'd like to support the BCGA by buying gold coins :):)

The BCGA is a registered society in British Columbia. We do not charge annual membership fees, and this is our main source of income. We produce a special version of the coins for members of the association (this is not simply creating an account on the website, its joining the association).

The intent of having a coin for member is that 1) its a perk and 2) it provides our members with a coin that has some demand for trading.

Currently the public coins are outselling the member coins by 2-to-1, so we hope this makes this version must have for collectors.

I know several members have bought multiple gold coins with the intent on trading.

If someone sends keewee a gold coin maybe he'll give me an update on "Shortland Street" I haven't seen an episode since I was in Christchurch in 1999. **teehee** It was getting good. I wonder if that guy is still in a coma. It's only been 9 years.

Seriously, I sympathize with the people out of province who would really like a gold coin. I'm sure there will be a few enterprising members that will be willing to trade. There are a lot of amazing coins out there to trade for.

As it stands, the gold coins will be very rare. Not a lot of sales at this point in time. The people that buy one will literally have gold in their hands.

If someone sends keewee a gold coin maybe he'll give me an update on "Shortland Street" I haven't seen an episode since I was in Christchurch in 1999. **teehee** It was getting good. I wonder if that guy is still in a coma. It's only been 9 years.

Seriously, I sympathize with the people out of province who would really like a gold coin. I'm sure there will be a few enterprising members that will be willing to trade. There are a lot of amazing coins out there to trade for.

As it stands, the gold coins will be very rare. Not a lot of sales at this point in time. The people that buy one will literally have gold in their hands.

LMAO.... sorry - I gave up on Shortland Street years and years ago! (Probably about 1999 too). But hey, send me a gold coins anyway :lol:

I have caught some snippets recently (and I stress that it was unintentionally)... and almost every cast member is new since the old, old days. Chris Warner is still there, and his brother (played by Craig Parker) appeared briefly... and the blonde who Chris Warner married... (Tiffany I think...)... but they are the only people still in it. Everyone else is new... even the Shortland Street clinic is new!!

Now, back On Topic... show me da gold :)

Edited by keewee