MOONSHINE 2008!

CYBret

Tomorrow it is, Terre Haute is to far away to add all those extra events and to close to home to consider camping down there. ;)

I will have my nephew Silver Samurai with me tomorrow, his Dad was hospitalized Wednesday and had surgery yesterday, won't be back home until probably next Tuesday, so SS needs a fun day away from home.

Just a quick note to say that this sign has been ripped down at the Moonshine Store:

50b9da92-2a59-45e1-ac68-45325e6512ce.jpg

The new record as of today is 858 BURGERS!!!!!!!!

BIG thank you to EVERYONE who attended and ate!!!!! :unsure:

Darn, if I had only ordered two more before I left it would have been an even 860. Always next year, lets break 1000 then. Thanks for the great event, and my nephew is thrilled with his ammo boxes, even the pink one.

Found a few other caches after we left, then my truck overheated and I had to pour all my drinking water in the radiator so we headed for home. Really enjoyed chatting with everyone, even though I know I don't say much. Special thanks to Wolverine Warriors Heather and Allycat for stopping by to chat, and once again I saw Team Shydog but was unable to manuver around to speak to him.

We pulled into home long enough to take the stuff off the top of the truck, then we had to mad dash to Dubble Trouble's B-day party. Got the kids home safe and sound. Bathed and fed and now sleeping soundly. I just unpacked the last of the bags, tomorrow I get to start in on the laundry...so that I can repack it all on Thursday to go the Indiana Fall Picnic.

We, once again, had a great time at this and all the pre/post events this weekend. Not quite the number run we had last year, but we still had a great time.

It was nice to see some familiar faces from our neck of the woods, and to see all the faces we haven't seen in almost a year. It was great to catch up with all of you. And Captain Blackbeard it was a pleasure seeing you again and very nice to meet your nephew, sorry we didn't get to talk longer.

Can't wait for next year (Oh, you SOOOO knew you weren't done with this year Bret! :sad: ) Although, I'm voting for it to moved back to the end of September again, little hot during the day way down South! :sad:

Heather of Wolverine Warriors

I think I can almost say without risk of hyperbole....Capt. Blackbeard, we couldn't have done it without you! :rolleyes:

fd3c6149-98d1-4ebb-bc3e-c27475ecfcaf.jpg

Thanks to everyone who did their part.

There's been some great pictures posted on the event page. Hopefully I'll get around to posting my soon too....like this one.

cashngage.jpg

That's my nephew and his son...er...something like that.

This is Dick, W7WT. I now live in Bremerton, WA. I do know where Moonshine, Illinois is. When I taught a course in aeronautics at Freeport, IL high school, the state furnished us aeronautical maps of the State of Illinois . this was back in the early 50's. I would give the latitude and longitude of a town and they would have to find it and give me the name of the location. Illinois has a lot a funny names for towns and Moonshine was one of them. I am sure you have all heard about the NORMAL professor marrying the OBLONG

teacher.

Edited by W7WT

Cybret- do you know if they count sandwiches sold or patties used for the record count?

They count individual patties. 858 total...that includes a few veggie burgers that SOMEONE brought with them.

By the way, GREAT log on the event! You had me rollin!

Glad you liked the log. :ph34r:

Thanks for the info about the way they do the count. I'm gonna make sure to let people know to order doubles or triples instead of singles next year (there will be a next year, right?)- no need to fill up on extra buns... :cry:

I tried a pork burger this year- it was pretty good. Maybe next year I'll have one with bacon & ham on it. Just don't let Torry know... :o

Cybret- do you know if they count sandwiches sold or patties used for the record count?

They count individual patties. 858 total...that includes a few veggie burgers that SOMEONE brought with them.

By the way, GREAT log on the event! You had me rollin!

Glad you liked the log. :D

Thanks for the info about the way they do the count. I'm gonna make sure to let people know to order doubles or triples instead of singles next year (there will be a next year, right?)- no need to fill up on extra buns... :rolleyes:

I tried a pork burger this year- it was pretty good. Maybe next year I'll have one with bacon & ham on it. Just don't let Torry know... :)

I had two doubles and my nephew had two singles, that's six patties for the two of us. :D

:) I am really new. I was so jolt to go to Moonshine and meet fellow cachers. I was disappointed when I arrived. We arrived about 11:30. No one could tell me what was going on, where to sign in, what all the tickets were for. We got our moonburger and sat down. Tickets were being drawn and prizes were being given away. It seemed everyone else knew what was going on. We ate and left. I really want to take part in your fun but I was lost.

oblongil, I am sorry that you felt lost but I know how you felt. March 2007 was my first time for attending any events and I remember the feeling of not knowing anyone or what I was expected to do. I am at heart a very shy person but through caching I am coming out of my shell.

At any event there will be a table to check in at. Don't be shy! If you don't see an obvious area ask a few people if they know where the check-in is. There should be at least one person if not two manning that table and you can ask them what is going on. They should be "in the know". Don't be afraid to tell folks that you are new. There are no silly questions! :huh:

The first event I went to was at Cheeseburger in Paradise. The only two people I knew who cached weren't going to this but encouraged me to go. I met one of my high school teachers who caches and recognizing several other cacher names I introduced myself and now I know several people that i can hold a simple conversation with.

Are you planning to attend the Cache Slash thing down in Sumner? I have never gone but am hoping to this year.

oblongil, sorry to hear of your poor experience... there were tables right up front where you could sign in and get raffle tix. It may have also been a bit confusing because evidently a biker rally was also using the same spot for a meet of their own.

I have found the caching community to be a really great group o' folks. If you ever find yourself in the Indianapolis area when a GiG ("Girls in Geocaching") event is going on, please join us. We love having new folks! And no, it's not just for women-folk... we have tons of men at our events too. :laughing:

Actually the entire Indianapolis area is really event-friendly. You can find stuff going on all the time. Hope to get the chance to meet you sometime.

Alicia (of lakedawgs)

:mad: I am really new. I was so jolt to go to Moonshine and meet fellow cachers. I was disappointed when I arrived. We arrived about 11:30. No one could tell me what was going on, where to sign in, what all the tickets were for. We got our moonburger and sat down. Tickets were being drawn and prizes were being given away. It seemed everyone else knew what was going on. We ate and left. I really want to take part in your fun but I was lost.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experience. The event started at 9:30 and was due to be over by 12:30, so 11:30 seemed to be a great time to give away the prizes. In fact, we had a few late arrivals registering and getting their tickets (and prizes) during the give away.

Like lakedawgs said, the table up front with the guy yelling really loud would have been the place to go. Next time feel free to ask around. Geocachers may be a few bricks shy, but few of them are really shy. :ph34r:

heck i knew nobody there except through pictures people have put in there cache finds..I went to moonshine actually knowing nobody but left knowing 6 or 12 people that are from my area..NOT one person i spoke to was rude or anything..I'm sure a few thought "man this guy won't shut up" but hey by the time i left the event i had a number of invitations to come here or go there to cache with some folks...I took my father with me for this and heck he even said wow i cant believe how friendly everyone is..Don't be shy...cachers are probably the most interesting people you will ever meet in your life...We all have a million stories to tell..