Visit locations in order

Team GPSaxophone

I want to make sure a cacher visits 3 locations in a particular order. I set the zones to inactive and not visible and have the scripts setup to make zone 2 visible and active when zone 1 is entered. Zone 3 is setup similarly when the player enters zone 2.

When I run this through the emulator, all 3 zones show on the map and all 3 locations are listed. I can visit the zones in any order as a result. What do I need to put in the scripts to prevent this?

Hi!

Make sure you UNCHECK the visible and active options for the zones in the builder first. Then, you can start scripting for what should be visible and active in a particular order. Additionally, making already visited zones inactive and invisible is a good practice and won't confuse the player as much.

If this is not the case, please let us know!

J2B2

forum2.jpg

I think you misunderstood, J2B2.

From what was asked and what I believe was said, GPSax has configured everything correctly. However, the zones are still displayed on the emulator. I believe those show up as red, correct? If so, there's an easy answer: no nothing.

As a courtesy to cartridge developers, all zones will display in the emulator as long as the cartridge is compiled locally. When you compile it elsewhere, those zones will not display, so you needn't worry. This is why you won't be able to see other cartridges' zones when you play them in the emulator.

As an experiment, you can download J2B2's "Penguin Escape" source. Compile it locally and run the emulator. You should see the same "problem" you're reporting.

I thought confusion like from this would eventually reach the forum.

Edited by Ranger Fox

I think you misunderstood, J2B2.

From what was asked and what I believe was said, GPSax has configured everything correctly. However, the zones are still displayed on the emulator. I believe those show up as red, correct? If so, there's an easy answer: no nothing.

As a courtesy to cartridge developers, all zones will display in the emulator as long as the cartridge is compiled locally. When you compile it elsewhere, those zones will not display, so you needn't worry. This is why you won't be able to see other cartridges' zones when you play them in the emulator.

As an experiment, you can download J2B2's "Penguin Escape" source. Compile it locally and run the emulator. You should see the same "problem" you're reporting.

I thought confusion like from this would eventually reach the forum.

The zones are all the same purple-ish color. The first zone is set to visible and active, but the other two are not (I had already configured it as J2B2 recommended before even posting this thread).

I guess I'll have to load this on my Colorado and test it out but it would be nice if the emulator would give the same results.

Hi!

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Yes, Ranger is correct. The invisible/inactive zones will show up on the emulator map if you compile it locally, but they should be in very light blue (almost transparent) color to differentiate which zones are visible/active and which zones are not (the visible/active zones should be the solid blue). Additionally, GPSaxophone mentioned:

3 locations are listed

I'm wondering if this meant all 3 locations are listed under 'Locations' tab? Even if you compile your cartridge locally, the invisible/inactive zones should not be listed under 'Locations' tab. If you're seeing all the zones under 'Locations' even though you set them invisible/inactive, there might be a problem.

If this is not the case, you don't need to worry. :sad:

Feel free to attach your lua file.

Good luck

J2B2

Edited by J2B2

Hi!

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Yes, Ranger is correct. The invisible/inactive zones will show up on the emulator map if you compile it locally, but they should be in very light blue (almost transparent) color to differentiate which zones are visible/active and which zones are not (the visible/active zones should be the solid blue). Additionally, GPSaxophone mentioned:

3 locations are listed

I'm wondering if this meant all 3 locations are listed under 'Locations' tab? Even if you compile your cartridge locally, the invisible/inactive zones should not be listed under 'Locations' tab. If you're seeing all the zones under 'Locations' even though you set them invisible/inactive, there might be a problem.

If this is not the case, you don't need to worry. :sad:

Feel free to attach your lua file.

Good luck

J2B2

When I start the cartridge in the emulator, all three zones I have defined are visible on the map. Also, the Locations box on the emulated PocketPC lists the three zones. The You See box is empty and remains empty even when moving the player to one of the zones.

How should I attach the lua file? If you mean email it to you, I need your email address.

If you press the "Reply" button (rather than Fast Reply) one of the options you should see below the text entry area is for file attachments. Go to that item, browse to your file, and submit the reply with the attachment specified. Then it'll be posted along with the comment so folks can download it and try to help solve your problem.

Whoops! I realized that after I made some changes last night I had neglected to publish the cartridge to my machine, so it wasn't reflecting the changes. Now that that is resolved, the map does show the zones "grayed out" if they aren't visible/active. I can't complete the cart in the wrong order. Yay! Now it appears that I don't have the scripting right for something though as visiting the first location doesn't make the next location visible. i'll tinker with it some more and see if I can find what I did wrong.

Great! :D

Feel free to check out the tutorial for more information.

http://www.Wherigo.com/tutorial/index.html

The tutorials helped me get as far as I did. :sad:

I went and tested the cartridge on my Colorado and found that when I got to each zone I wouldn't get the completed message until I got the the exact waypoint. I thought it was supposed to do that when I entered the zone. The zones are currently set at 30 or 40 feet around the waypoint, but even 5 feet wasn't close enough to trigger the task as complete. What did I miss?

I went and tested the cartridge on my Colorado and found that when I got to each zone I wouldn't get the completed message until I got the the exact waypoint. I thought it was supposed to do that when I entered the zone. The zones are currently set at 30 or 40 feet around the waypoint, but even 5 feet wasn't close enough to trigger the task as complete. What did I miss? [/color]

I can reproduce this with even a 50' zone and the Colorado. The GPSr really does like to hit zero before registering that the user is in the zone. I have not tried anything larger. I thought it may have been consulting the EPE, but with even a 40' radius zone, I would think EPE would fit inside it with a little room to spare.

When I created and tested an early cartridge I made, I found the Pocket PC I have was more forgiving.

Okay, I'm curious now. See, I always thought the distance shown when you were walking was the distance to the nearest edge of the zone, not its center point. In other words, if you're five feet away, you're five feet from entering the zone, not five feet from the middle of the zone. Have I been wrong about the intent of that measure, or am I missing a way to see the distance to the zone's centerpoint itself?

Okay, I'm curious now. See, I always thought the distance shown when you were walking was the distance to the nearest edge of the zone, not its center point. In other words, if you're five feet away, you're five feet from entering the zone, not five feet from the middle of the zone. Have I been wrong about the intent of that measure, or am I missing a way to see the distance to the zone's centerpoint itself?

Pretty sure I looked at this early on -- but it's been a while. My recollection agrees with your interpretation. The distance is the distance to the nearest edge of the zone, not to the mythical center point.

Also, I had no trouble "entering" the zone. It was not necessary to approach the center point, much less stand there for a while. The "on enter" event fired as I crossed the zone boundary -- within the 20 foot accuracy of the GPSr at the time.

However, I did this with a larger zone (70 feet or so on the short side, I think). 400t running 2.40/2.60.

I can reproduce this with even a 50' zone and the Colorado. The GPSr really does like to hit zero before registering that the user is in the zone. I have not tried anything larger. I thought it may have been consulting the EPE, but with even a 40' radius zone, I would think EPE would fit inside it with a little room to spare.

Not sure whether we are talking about radius or diameter of the zone. My recollection is that if you let the builder define the zone points based on center point and size, the size is the diagonal of the resulting rectangle. This corresponds most closely to diameter, not radius. In any case, if we consider EPE vs. the zone edge (rather than the zone diameter), I think we get a somewhat different result.

Let's assume that the Colorado is trying to work with the zone edges, not the center point and diameter. Suppose I have a zone that is 40 feet on a side, with the center point exactly in the center of the square. Suppose I approach the zone on a path perpendicular to an edge, at the center. And suppose the Colorado has a current EPE of 20 feet, which is typical for a decent constellation. Depending on the direction of the error, it may appear that I actually have to approach the center point of the zone in order to "enter" -- even though the unit is working with the edge.

I did some experimentation with this early on. I defined a fairly large, four-sided zone with corners at easily identified landmarks. As I recall, the shortest side was about 70 feet and the zone was trapezoidal. The center point was approximately at the intersection of the diagonals. I approached the zone from several different directions, watching for a message attached to the "on enter" event. In all cases, I observed the event as I crossed the zone boundary, give or take the EPE (18 feet) at the time. In no case was it necessary to approach the center point. I got the same results whether I approached the edge near its center or near its endpoints.

400t running 2.40/2.60.

I went and tested the cartridge on my Colorado and found that when I got to each zone I wouldn't get the completed message until I got the the exact waypoint. I thought it was supposed to do that when I entered the zone. The zones are currently set at 30 or 40 feet around the waypoint, but even 5 feet wasn't close enough to trigger the task as complete. What did I miss? [/color]

When I created and tested an early cartridge I made, I found the Pocket PC I have was more forgiving.

I wasn't 5 feet from the edge of the zone, I was 5 feet from the center of a 30-40' zone. This didn't happen only once either, it was every zone.

I wasn't 5 feet from the edge of the zone, I was 5 feet from the center of a 30-40' zone. This didn't happen only once either, it was every zone.

That's what I thought and what I experienced. The Colorado likes to come as close to zero as it can before triggering the zone's enter function.

Just a note but I experienced something similar and found that I had moved the zone co-ords and hadn't updated the Original Point. The PPC I was using couldn't detect the zone even though it was plenty big enough.