Trusted Online Retailers

Tonight is most likely the night I buy my GPSr after I make a run buy the store to figure out which one I want. So now it's a matter of who to buy from (because I am NOT going to spend an extra 40% at a local store).

Who do you trust? For instance, a lot amazon dealers are listed. Does anyone have a particular dealer that they prefer? Does anyone recommend against a particular dealer?

Things I want to take into consideration:

- Is it easy and pain free to return the product?

- Does the manufacturer honor the warranty from the vendor?

Feel free to share any other info you have in mind! :sad:

Edited by bakura82

I'd recommend against NewEgg for anything that doesn't carry their standard return policy. Many retailers have a no-return policy for GPS units, or charge a restocking fee.

They're evil, but WalMart has good prices and you can buy it in person, and their GPS return policy is pretty good, too, from what I hear.

PriceGrabber.com and PriceWatch.com have price searches and vendor ratings. ShopLocal.com will give you the brick-and-mortar store prices in your area, too.

Thanks for the input!

I was reading through the support area on the Garmin site and they said they do not honor warranties for auction sites such as Ebay. They did not mention online retailers though. Does anyone know if buying from any online retailers voids a warranty?

Not sure which brand you are going with, but I bought my Garmin from ActionGPS.com

Very good price and very fast CHEAP shipping....2nd day for about 3 bucks extra.

Take a look at what they have.

P.S. They are an authorized Garmin dealer.

Tonight is most likely the night I buy my GPSr after I make a run buy the store to figure out which one I want. So now it's a matter of who to buy from (because I am NOT going to spend an extra 40% at a local store).

Who do you trust? For instance, a lot amazon dealers are listed. Does anyone have a particular dealer that they prefer? Does anyone recommend against a particular dealer?

Feel free to share any other info you have in mind! :sad:

Not sure which brand you are going with, but I bought my Garmin from ActionGPS.com

Very good price and very fast CHEAP shipping....2nd day for about 3 bucks extra.

Take a look at what they have.

P.S. They are an authorized Garmin dealer.

I am most likely doing Garmin and you are right on all points. I guess it's okay to buy online if they they declare themselves to be "authorized."

Garmin doesn't list all the sites on their sites though....

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/online/onli...IT=Show+Dealers

Not the most reassuring, but hey, if the company misrepresents, there is always a lawsuit that can filed. :sad:

I've bought all my gps units (except for my first one) from gpsnow.com. They are excellent and I have never had a problem with them. Their customer service is quick, responsive and go out of their way to make you happy if necessary.

Edited by moonpup

Feel free to share any other info you have in mind! ;)

:( Well I bought My GPSr after a lot of searching and found Random Wholesale who sell thought Amazon and saved a ton. Gppd Luck :)

I bought my Garmin from Amazon and the unit was shipped from Kansas City.

Just a coincidence that Garmin is located in the Kansas City area. I think not.

Help me follow you. Do you mean to say it was shipped straight from Garmin as opposed to Amazon's warehouse (if they even have one, I don't know how Amazon works)?

Bought myself a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx straight from Amazon.com themselves. Thanks for all your tips folks! Now I have to wait.... and wait... and wait... agh!

Edit: Grammar

I bought mine from Amazon. I always use their free shipping because I find that it always gets here WAY before they estimate that it will.

Beck

I've bought all my gps units (except for my first one) from gpsnow.com. They are excellent and I have never had a problem with them. Their customer service is quick, responsive and go out of their way to make you happy if necessary.

I have to agree. Prior to ordering my GPS, I scoured the net for a retailer that one, had them the unit I was looking for, in stock, and second, had the best price. I also found the prior to ordering my unit, I had several questions that I needed answered. JoAnn from GPSNow.com was very quick to respond to my emails and I would definitely order from them again.

Edited by H2oSprayer

I have to agree. Prior to ordering my GPS, I scoured the net for a retailer that one, had them the unit I was looking for, in stock, and second, had the best price. I also found the prior to ordering my unit, I had several questions that I needed answered. Jennifer (I believe was her name) from GPSNow.com was very quick to respond to my emails and I would definitely order from them again.

GPSNow.com is a division of 4x4books. I've bought from 4x4books.com, and I was very, very happy with them.

I bought my Garmin from Amazon and the unit was shipped from Kansas City.

Just a coincidence that Garmin is located in the Kansas City area. I think not.

Help me follow you. Do you mean to say it was shipped straight from Garmin as opposed to Amazon's warehouse (if they even have one, I don't know how Amazon works)?

I will have to check my shipping documents but it would not suprise me Garmin was the direct shipper.

Amazon is nothing more than a virtual storefront for a lot of the stuff they sell.

I once purchased some golf related equipment and the item was shipped from the The Gof Warehouse (TGW.com) which is about 4 miles from my house. Took UPS 3 days to deliver the package.

Think about it. If Amazaon had to warehouse all of the stuff they sold the cost would be much higher. This way a manufacturer can sell their procuct for less than the MSRP on their websites.