Jeeps Idea of Magnetic Variation

Klemmer

On my new Jeep, the built-in compass even has an adjustment in the software you can make for magnetic variance. Of course, they screwed it up.

Jeep_Mag_Var3.sized.jpg

CAUTION: Above is not reality for normal use. This is just Jeep's idea of reality. If you have a vehicle installed compass, I suggest you read the manual, and set it as they show, not like it really is. With 14 degrees of variation out here on the west coast, it might matter. Why couldn't they do it right? The software (or customers?) couldn't handle plus or minus signs? Give me a break! And a Jeep of all things...... Sheesh....... Now I need to go reset the "compass variation" to 4 instead of 14. Grrrrrr.........

LOL! I suppose they figured folks just wanted to set Declination via a point and click type interface, rather than a 'real' number. It does matter - especially since the actual number's changing over time - but the software 'pick your location and enter this number' map won't be keeping up! :D

I am, however, disappointed that there's no photo of the new benchmark-chasing rig... can we see a photo? Please? :sad:

LOL.... Didn't think anyone cared!

Looks about like this, then hit the "Steel Blue Metalic" button. I say "about" because there is a newer blue color that isn't on the website yet (you know those IT guys, always behind...). The new "Modern Blue" is a tiny bit lighter & greener, in some lights. Other than that, every option you can think of. except the rear seat DVD. All the off-road stuff they offer, of course. Had to have the Hemi, too, for those steep hills to benchmarks, you know :D:sad:

Can you say "gas guzzler...."? Even with the MDS (cuts out the gas to 4 cylinders in cruise), it isn't a Prius, that's for sure. I asked the sales dude if Jeep was even thinking about a Hybrid. Not that he has heard about in any near term. Oh well.

Very nice! I'd rented one of these a year ago during a visit to Las Vegas & took it a bit off the paved road network (ok - they were utility line service 'roads' - and it did just dandy on them!). Very comfortable, even at 101º up near St George, UT. But no... it didn't want to pass any gas stations along the drive. However it IS very comfortable, and it IS 'trail-rated' (although I doubt you'll be putting any AZ pinstriping on it soon!) It would make a nice TB...

Looks about like this, then hit the "Steel Blue Metalic" button. I say "about" because there is a newer blue color that isn't on the website yet (you know those IT guys, always behind...). The new "Modern Blue" is a tiny bit lighter & greener, in some lights. Other than that, every option you can think of. except the rear seat DVD. All the off-road stuff they offer, of course. Had to have the Hemi, too, for those steep hills to benchmarks, you know :D:o

Can you say "gas guzzler...."? Even with the MDS (cuts out the gas to 4 cylinders in cruise), it isn't a Prius, that's for sure. I asked the sales dude if Jeep was even thinking about a Hybrid. Not that he has heard about in any near term. Oh well.

Mmmm - Hemi (We know this great sandy wash near Laughlin to try it out in!)

:sad: Rain-Sensing Wipers :D Inquiring minds want to know - What happens when you go through a car wash? Is there a turn off switch?

Also, Why not the DVD in the rear? No grandkids to take along and watch a movie?

Nice one.

Looks about like this, then hit the "Steel Blue Metalic" button. I say "about" because there is a newer blue color that isn't on the website yet (you know those IT guys, always behind...). The new "Modern Blue" is a tiny bit lighter & greener, in some lights. Other than that, every option you can think of. except the rear seat DVD. All the off-road stuff they offer, of course. Had to have the Hemi, too, for those steep hills to benchmarks, you know :D:D

All you need is a 5" lift and 33" tires!

I recommend BFG KOs, but the KMs are very nice if you can stand the road-rumble.

Hmm, maybe a SYE and some rock-rails would be a good idea too... :P

My recent vehicles use a similar chart. I suppose the thinking is that the average person does not care what the actual variance is. They simply want an easy way to correct the compass. (Does anyone want to hazard a guess on what percentage of vehicle owners ever access this function, and/or how many "swing" the vehicle around a traffic circle to compensate the readings?)

This follows a trend in consumer GPS devices designed for installation in vehicles, where some models do not provide a means for entering a destination using Latitude and Longitude. Everything is being "dumbed down" so the Clampetts (aka Beverly Hillbillys) can have access to technology, as well as city conveniences such as a Cement Pond.

-Paul-

Join me, please, in singing the first stanza:

Let me tell you 'bout the story of a man named Jed,

Poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed.

And then one day he was shooting at some food

And up from the ground came a-bubbling Crude.

Oil, that is.

Black Gold.

Texas Tea.

2OF: I was having lots of fun in that wash out by Laughlin! :) Oh, and who was mostly "leading" and "navigating"? :( Oh yeah, my 4WD system was getting pretty hot... ;)

Nope, no grand - rug rats in the back. Yet.

Rain sensing wipers are really fun in the car wash, if you forget to turn them off (yes, there is a switch!). When they were not very common, several years ago, you would see the guys trying to work around them as they turned off and on. Very entertaining! Now they know where most switches are, darn.

BTW: I really do like them. They work very well. What used to be the 5 position rotary switch for the intermittent wipers has become a sensitivity setting for the auto rain sensing circuit. The rain "sensor" is basically a small video camera behind the rear view mirror, looking for rain drops on the windshield in front of it. The same camera is also the sensor for the auto-bright lights (which also work well). They seem to work together at night, also. Dirt & dust WILL set off the wipers, so they need to be off for dry off roading. Wet off-roading? Hmmm... not a problem I have run into.... ummm... good old fashioned manual use!!

K

FWIW, I vaguely recall my Jeep also said in the manual that you can configure it by putting it into some configure mode and then doing something like 3 tight circles in an open area (preferably away from any large metal masses). However, my Jeep's an '02, and I don't think I've set it since then, so I'm a little vague there :(.

Rain sensing wipers are great. Never had a problem with dust setting them off though. At least on mine they do swipe once when you turn the car on though, which is kinda annoying. (Oh, and you learn real fast that you shouldn't open the driver's door, reach in and turn the car on when the windshield is covered with snow. Or, at least, you learn it once a season if you forget from last year.)