Blatant Commercial Listing

genegene

It happens all the time, but it doesn't make people happy.

I think the vast majority of cachers are happy.. There's a few vocal few in the forums that keep bringing this topic up that appear to be unhappy. When did Groundspeak become responsible for making these people happy? If they aren't happy caching, perhaps finding a different hobby that makes them happy would be in order? They need to be responsible for their own happiness, not blame others and put the responsibility on others to make them happy.

:unsure: <-- Happy

Maybe this will help: http://www.happynews.com

[edit to add happy link]

Maybe I'm not seeing the same thing, but what I see is a trickle of new people bringing up the topic as it becomes an issue for them, rather than a few vocal people bringing it up over and over (granted, that has happened to some degree, but I don't think that's the case for the most part)

You have it right. The vocal forum member jump into the threads started by others. We don't create thread after thead on these issues. They crop up just fine with no help.

Key word -- trickle. Hundreds of thousands of happy cachers out there having fun.

Anyone look at the cache page in question? Lots of happy cachers. One posted in this topic.

Archive all virtual caches tomorrow -- the forums would be totally slammed with complaints.

Groundspeak partners with a GPS related company on a cache page -- yawn, there are caches to find.

Case in point... there were four "Meet Groundspeak and Garmin" events located around the country just a short while ago. I don't recall a single complaint topic regarding the events.

The topic come up over and over because caches and events are being turned down do to commercial content. People who have had a event turned down and later see one like this will of course think that the system is unfair. In almost all case it is either a failure to read or understand the guideline.

I disagree.. Because even after being informed about the guidelines, they continue to rant. They simply feel entitled, regardless of what the guidelines say...

I'm honestly quite sick of the whole thing. My new response to these folks will be

"Please read the guidelines and if you disagree with them, you are welcome to find your cache listings elsewhere"

So there can never be discussion to change a guideline? Improvements aren't encouraged?

If you are so sick, ignore these types of threads and leave your non-helpful platitudes out of them. It's atitudes like this that so many cachers dislike, so they ignore the forum altogether.

I think the vast majority of cachers are happy.. There's a few vocal few in the forums that keep bringing this topic up that appear to be unhappy. When did Groundspeak become responsible for making these people happy? If they aren't happy caching, perhaps finding a different hobby that makes them happy would be in order? They need to be responsible for their own happiness, not blame others and put the responsibility on others to make them happy.

:unsure: <-- Happy

[edit to add happy link]

Maybe I'm not seeing the same thing, but what I see is a trickle of new people bringing up the topic as it becomes an issue for them, rather than a few vocal people bringing it up over and over (granted, that has happened to some degree, but I don't think that's the case for the most part)

You have it right. The vocal forum member jump into the threads started by others. We don't create thread after thead on these issues. They crop up just fine with no help.

Key word -- trickle. Hundreds of thousands of happy cachers out there having fun.

Anyone look at the cache page in question? Lots of happy cachers. One posted in this topic.

Archive all virtual caches tomorrow -- the forums would be totally slammed with complaints.

Groundspeak partners with a GPS related company on a cache page -- yawn, there are caches to find.

Case in point... there were four "Meet Groundspeak and Garmin" events located around the country just a short while ago. I don't recall a single complaint topic regarding the events.

User_____#posts in this thread.

ReadyOrNot_____15

genegene ______13

mtn-man _______11

WRITE SHOP ROBERT 10

nakia319 _______8

Renegade Knight_7

Sioneva ________6

tozainamboku ___4

baloo&bd _______4

Cornerstone4 ___3

XopherN71 _____2

Kit Fox_________2

85 out of 103 posts in this thread are from 12 people. the other 18 are by 18 individuals.

If that isn't a trickle I don't know what is.

It has 1404 views on 103 posts. There are threads here that are about no angst things that have 33 posts and 1621 views.

This is much ado about nothing when compaired to the stuff most people are interested in. Just the same people trying to make a little issue into a big issue.

Edited by Tiny dancer

OK, I've read through the thread and while I can see where the OP is coming from IN THAT on the surface one could assume some "special treatment" of Delorme for this event. Let's face it, for Delorme to host an event and name it after themselves is "commercial".

That said, Delorme followed the guidelines and contacted Groundspeak for permission. Permission was granted, end of story.

I do think that some of the "no-no's" for event listings do need to be reconsidered.

Providing a link to Reserve America for those cachers wishing to camp at a park where an event is being held is a simple courtesy, and very helpful. Up here in NY, you have to go through Reserve America for camping sites or cabins at all of the state parks.

One possible solution to the argument that posting the link may imply the GC or Groundspeak is affiliated with, or supports the website, company, etc. that is linked to would be a simple "Geocaching.com and Groundspeak are not affliated with the following websites, comapnies etc" statement above the link.

One possible solution to the argument that posting the link may imply the GC or Groundspeak is affiliated with, or supports the website, company, etc. that is linked to would be a simple "Geocaching.com and Groundspeak are not affliated with the following websites, comapnies etc" statement above the link.

That would only make sense if you thought Reserve America would be complaining about getting free links and a free mention on a major website. Not too likely. You're looking through the telescope from the wrong end.

Edited by Prime Suspect

That would only make sense if you thought Reserve America would be complaining about getting free links and a free mention on a major website. Not too likely. You're looking through the telescope from the wrong end.

\

Actually, no, I'm not. The whole point of putting the disclaimer up is so the TPTB can say with all honesty " we had nothing to do with that link".

I'm not sure I buy the telescope analogy. There are two conflicting goals here:

1. Geocaching.com is not Craig's List. It does not want to have cache pages become platforms for providing free advertising - either intentionally or unintentionally. Since Groundspeak gets revenue by selling advertising space on the Geocaching.com web site they want to control commercial content on the web page.
  2. Geocachers have important information to share. They set up a event and announce it through the web page. In order to attend the event or even simple decide if you want to attend, other cachers need information. The guidelines are unclear about what information is allowed and what cannot be put on the cache page. Some people have indicate that as a compromise you can post a link to your personal web page and have the commercial links on that page.

I don't have any problem with reviewers trying to err on the commercial issue and letting Groundspeak make decisions. But it would be nice to see some guidance for cachers who are putting together and event to know how important event information can be disseminated. A company that want to use geocaching to promote itself or its products is one thing. A cacher who wants to have a event and let others know what's on the menu, where to make reservations if you want stay overnight, or what some of the prizes might be in a raffle or door prize; should know what is allowed and what alternatives for providing this information are allowed. At a minimum, reviewers need to be encouraged to work these issues out so that it never has to go the Geocaching.com for approval (unless the cache owner insists on putting commercial content directly on their cache page).

I've been to a couple of large, well organized events that had sponsors (one just recently). The sponsors aren't linked to or even listed on the cache page. Some of the sponsors had banners at the event, and all the sponsors were listed on a flyer handed out to all attendees. As our raffle was progressing (everyone that attended the event got free raffle tickets and all attendees had a chance to win more in some silly geo-games)... the items were announced along with the person/company/group who donated them.

All Groundspeak is asking is that if you're listing the name of or link to a business that might generate some kind of income.... that you ask permission.

It is their website, and they decide what gets posted. :)

It's really simple.

DCC

The questions in this topic have nothing to do with the reviewers. This is going off topic again. I will say for the last time that there is a topic where I split off one of tozainamboku's posts where the issues dealing with the reviewer aspect of this can be discussed. The fact that few want to discuss that topic might be a clue as to the importance of it within the community.

This topic is very simple. DeLorme contacted Groundspeak. They wanted an event and Groundspeak said yes. It was listed and then was published by Groundspeak. The reviewers were not involved. Please keep the issues separate.

The event is over. People had fun. Perhaps it is time to move on.

\

Actually, no, I'm not. The whole point of putting the disclaimer up is so the TPTB can say with all honesty " we had nothing to do with that link".

And who exactly are they saying that to? If it's GC.com's advertisers, then that's hardly good enough. If GC knew to put up the disclaimer, then obviously they knew about the commercial aspect of the content, and are choosing to do nothing about it. As an advertiser, I would want them to proactive about that, and not just wash their hands of it. The "Sgt. Schultz" response won't cut it.

;) <-- Happy

[edit to add happy link]

User_____#posts in this thread.

ReadyOrNot_____15

genegene ______13

mtn-man _______11

WRITE SHOP ROBERT 10

nakia319 _______8

Renegade Knight_7

Sioneva ________6

tozainamboku ___4

baloo&bd _______4

Cornerstone4 ___3

XopherN71 _____2

Kit Fox_________2

85 out of 103 posts in this thread are from 12 people. the other 18 are by 18 individuals.

If that isn't a trickle I don't know what is.

It has 1404 views on 103 posts. There are threads here that are about no angst things that have 33 posts and 1621 views.

This is much ado about nothing when compaired to the stuff most people are interested in. Just the same people trying to make a little issue into a big issue.

If you read back through those quotes (that you quoted) you will see that there was an accusation of a "few vocal few in the forums that keep bringing this topic up". My point was that the topic is not being "Brought up" by "vocal few in the forums", it is being brought up repeatedly by new posters. The vocal few referenced are merely discussing it after it is brought up. In fact, many of these vocal few could do quite well with half as many posts in the threads if the "Other vocal few" would just read clearly what was said, reducing the need to constantly try a new way of explaining what some do not or choose not to understand.

I see peoples points about most of the stuff mentioned, but this one stumps me, sure GS can dictate what is placed on their site but stating that they'll archive your listing if raffle or drawing is listed on another site is lame

I'm still here..

This has come up in another forum that I have read I'll kep you updated

"Some" of the people that are saying that I am wrong in my thoughts I have noticed have never held an event or even gone to one.

My point?

Whether or not you get permission from G.S. the Delorme listing is still Commercial.

I understand that Delorme big part of G.S. but so are we. The way the "guidelines" are written it says no commercial listings, but you can contact us for a exception.

For those of us that have hosted an event, I hope that you can understand what my issue is with the listing.

As far as Joe's Steak House, or any other business, being able to place an add on G.S., Unless they help Geocaching, they most likely wont be able to get a spot to advertise here.

I can understand where most posters are coming from, and understand what you are saying.

But I still see the Delorme event as a commercial listing, with links to there products.

GeneGene, you still haven't articulated what exactly you would like to see happen. There are only a few options that I can see:

1) Turn the guidelines into hard rules and deny all commercial content through events

2) Turn the guidelines into hard rules and allow all commercial content through events

3) Leave as guidelines and allow Groundspeak to determine what commercial content is allowed

4) Leave as guidelines and allow GeneGene to determine what commercial content is allowed

5) Leave as guidelines and allow the community to vote, causing events to take 6 months to be approved

6) ????

What do you want? Or do you just want to make noise?

Your missing the point about the listing.. Its commercial in every aspect.

Some are able to get away with it and others are not.

P.S. it's genegene, not GeneGene :drama:

I think you're missing the point. Anyone can "get away with it" if they go through the correct procedures to get it approved.

Of course that has been pointed out several times already yet you have chosen to ignore it, so I don't know why I would think you would pay attention to it now.

Edit to fix broken quotes.

Edited by Totem Clan
I can understand where most posters are coming from, and understand what you are saying.

But I still see the Delorme event as a commercial listing, with links to there products.

And to add to what Totem Clan said, the DeLorme event is a commercial listing with links to products. They got permission to do that.

P.S. it's genegene, not GeneGene :drama:

gENEgENE,

Who is getting away with something? You act as if a big heist has been pulled on Groundspeak and the geocaching community. Delorme received permission from Groundspeak. Where's the beef?

"Some" of the people that are saying that I am wrong in my thoughts I have noticed have never held an event or even gone to one.

For those of us that have hosted an event, I hope that you can understand what my issue is with the listing.

I was going to read but not post in this thread until I saw this.

Let's see...you have hosted 2 events with a grand total of 21 attendees.

We have hosted 10 events, with a total of 650 attendees.

So, I figure I might know what I'm talking about here.

One does not need to have hosted an event to understand the concept of "they followed the rules". It appears to me, that hosting an event might, in some cases, actually hinder that understanding.

No, I do not understand your problem, and I speak from experience.

DeLorme followed the rules.

Grow up, and get over it.

I've been a member of a committee for 2 years now that has hosted a larger event each year ( quite possibly becoming a Mega event this year), and while I understand your initial feelings, the fact still remains that Delorme went through the proper steps to obtain a "waiver" from the normal guidelines on "commercial content" and it was granted.

Everything was done by the rules.

I think the only real "issue" that this thread is bringing up that is in any way relevant is the discussion as to weather Groundspeak should allow certain "commercial" links or mentions on Event pages such as that for Reserve America for camping sites.

I doubt calling people obnoxious jerks is going to get you very far around here but hey, I have thick skin :(

Everyone has their opinion and definitely not shy to share them for the most part anonymously behind a keyboard. I think internet forum 'discussions' get heated rather quickly and this whole thing would have taken a whole different path in real life.

You really have to take things with a grain of salt that are said or you'll lose your mind stewing over it.

I too am seriously thinking about spending a lot less time on the forums, there is way too much negativity about every little detail from placement and container to swag and logging.

I think if I continue on the forum I'll move to less controversial topics :(

after reading the posts again I'm very discouraged, cant believe so many obnoxious jerks in the geocaching community, someone sees something they feel is wrong, lets attack and insult them, that'll get things done, yes, it was a commercialized event, yes they got permission, still doesn't give them the right to deny a listing if "words" they don't like are posted on a personal site about the event, thats still the part that gets me out of all of this, now people can come and quote this and insult me as well if they wish

You were sounding great until you got to the bolded section above... They've got EVERY right to do it, because they own the site. Can you please explain why the owners of this business do not have a right to determine what content goes on the website?

After talking to many cachers privately about my problem with the Delorme listing, most see my opposition and can understand why it bothers me.

But all have said the same thing

LET IT GO, IT SUCKS, BUT G.S. HAS THE FINAL WORD. YOU WON'T WIN.

So I will.

I will submit questions about links to what I want to add to any event I want to hold directly to G.S. and hope for the best.

If any one is interested, I submitted a ticket to G.S. about adding a link to Reserve America to my event listing and it was Denied. Reason, none given.

After talking to many cachers privately about my problem with the Delorme listing, most see my opposition and can understand why it bothers me.

But all have said the same thing

LET IT GO, IT SUCKS, BUT G.S. HAS THE FINAL WORD. YOU WON'T WIN.

So I will.

I will submit questions about links to what I want to add to any event I want to hold directly to G.S. and hope for the best.

If any one is interested, I submitted a ticket to G.S. about adding a link to Reserve America to my event listing and it was Denied. Reason, none given.

I've got an idea..... GO CACHING

... If any one is interested, I submitted a ticket to G.S. about adding a link to Reserve America to my event listing and it was Denied. Reason, none given.
Many years ago, my nephews were tiny tikes. They're parents were working on teaching them to ask politely when they wanted something special. They always got upset when they were turned down, even though they said 'please'.

TPTB require you to ask them if you intend to include commercial content or links. However, just because you ask doesn't mean that it will be approved.

... If any one is interested, I submitted a ticket to G.S. about adding a link to Reserve America to my event listing and it was Denied. Reason, none given.
Many years ago, my nephews were tiny tikes. They're parents were working on teaching them to ask politely when they wanted something special. They always got upset when they were turned down, even though they said 'please'.

TPTB require you to ask them if you intend to include commercial content or links. However, just because you ask doesn't mean that it will be approved.

I imagine though that as responsible and caring parents - they gave their children an explanation, not just a blank refusal. Explanations allow us to learn from an experience, not just view it with negativity.

I imagine though that as responsible and caring parents - they gave their children an explanation, not just a blank refusal. Explanations allow us to learn from an experience, not just view it with negativity.

All we know is what genegene posted on the forum. I'm sure the message was more than just "No". Perhaps the reason given was not a good enough reason for him? I wouldn't know without seeing the email response to the question.

Joe Cacher: Walmart, do you mind if I tape some advertisements to your windows?

Walmart: No

Joe Cacher: Why not?

Walmart: It is our policy to not allow advertisements on our store windows

Joe Cacher: That's not fair, you've got advertisements for Coca-Cola all over the windows

Walmart: Well, we gave them permission because we sell their products

Joe Cacher: Well, if Coca-Cola can place ads on the windows, I should be able to

... Several days later

Joe Cacher: Can I place advertisements on your windows?

Walmart: No

Joe Cacher: I need a better reason than that!!

I think that paints a fairly good picture of what's going on here.. Seems silly when put in context doesn't it?

(my apologies to TPTB for putting you in the role of Walmart :) )

Edited by ReadyOrNot

This isn't a government. This is a business. Groundspeak has every right to make business decisions that can enhance their position within the business world. Partnering with companies that produce products that are a benefit to the community and the company make absolute perfect sense.

In fact, to help the community and the game, I would actually hope they would in fact be proactive about this. Sound business decisions that further the company are how you stay ahead of the competition and expand your business. I personally want Groundspeak to grow, so I applaud good business decisions. I know I enjoy the lack of lag on the weekends now. This doesn't come from shirt and coffee cup sales.

Bravo! I had to struggle through this entire thread and was waiting for this very obvious point. This is a business and you are treating them like some municipality funded with your tax dollars. Groundspeak makes decisions with both profit and the improvement of their product in mind. You do have a choice to use the service or not. I am sure that customer retention is something that Groundspeak considered when making these commercial policies. I don't see people not caching because of them.

Totally concur. And there IS evidence that it is working. The website is now 100% improved as far as lag time and overall mechanics. This comes from investment in their product. The ability to make those investments comes from sound business decisions and partnerships, not from letting Geocachers call the shots.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

I'm thinking that since gEnEgEnE found his way to this thread, he understands that the reason it was denied is because of the commercial content on 'Reserve America'.

I was staying on topic, that is why I did not post what the Reply said.

I only threw in the statement about the Reserve America Denial, if anyone was interested if the link was approved or not.

I am not going to bother worrying about what G.S. says is commercial or not anymore. Whats the point.

I will submit a ticket asking for approval and if it is denied, well I will move on with my life.

If mtn-man gives the OK (I doubt it, because its off topic) I will post exactly what was sent to me. It was very nice and in no harsh tone told No, and given an alternate solution to the link.

I don't think the tone in what was emailed is relevant to the topic. You can post it if you want, but it does not impact the topic. Glad they gave you an alternative.

By the way, I am glad you have calmed down and have a better feeling regarding the issue.

Edited by mtn-man

Sorry about digging up an old topic, however I guess I have defended GC 's position on this btu then saw this pop up, GC1AW6D . Isn't this a commercial for WBCoC?

Has the position changed? Are commercial and/or charities allowed? If not, what happened here? T

What the heck are you talking about? What commercial or charity interest is represented? Sounds like you are trying to stir the pot to me.

It's a CITO event in a city park. They are *GIVING AWAY* a bunch of stuff. I didn't see any mention of having to buy anything. I didn't see any mention of any corporations or charities..

Help me understand what your beef is exactly?

Sorry about digging up an old topic, however I guess I have defended GC 's position on this btu then saw this pop up, GC1AW6D . Isn't this a commercial for WBCoC?

Has the position changed? Are commercial and/or charities allowed? If not, what happened here? T

What the heck are you talking about? What commercial or charity interest is represented? Sounds like you are trying to stir the pot to me................

Help me understand what your beef is exactly?

Chambers of commerce serve the following purposes:

Promotion of trade in their own towns or cities

does that help?

mind you with the blatant tag lines in my home forum this is small beer

I actually had to go back to the event page 3 times to see any reference to the chamber of commerce. I wasn't aware of any commercial guidelines applied to user names, so don't see a big problem.

Now, I have heard issues in the past around raffles, so not sure if that's going through ok now or not.

And, this all assumes that the event organizer didn't clear this with Groundspeak beforehand. (making it all a moot point)

I actually had to go back to the event page 3 times to see any reference to the chamber of commerce. I wasn't aware of any commercial guidelines applied to user names, so don't see a big problem.

Now, I have heard issues in the past around raffles, so not sure if that's going through ok now or not.

And, this all assumes that the event organizer didn't clear this with Groundspeak beforehand. (making it all a moot point)

As I read the event page, it's not really a raffle because there are no tickets for sale. If you find a cache, you get a chance. This is little different from the drawings that are part of many events.