Farthest FTF from Home?

M3J

Just curious, what is the farthest FTF from your home coordinates you ever logged?

We were on a cruise for ten days over the last few weeks and I was lucky enough to grab a cache in Dominica and was FTF on it...3,604km from home. Funnier still, I can now say I have done all of the caches in a country....Dominica has 2 :laughing:

I HID a cache 14,000 kms from home in Thailand, on a small, remote island off the southern tip - my cousin owns an amazing beach bar there - only to arrive home and find I'd missed the part where it says you have to live kinda close to your cache for possible maintenance. SO IT'S STILL THERE if anyone feels adventurous...N06 29.463 E99 18.221.

The furthest find would have to be the Angkor Wat Cache in Cambodia, can't claim an ftf on it though.

Cool...not sure I understand though...your profile says you live in Australia and your lo makes it sound like you work there as well.

I met a couple at the CREW event here in Waterloo tonight that had an FTF in New Zealand after a 45km hike in! Apparently they are still the only finders. I think they wer eliving here at the time so that has to be some sort of record!!

Cool...not sure I understand though...your profile says you live in Australia and your lo makes it sound like you work there as well.

It does?? I think it says I live in Canada (Calgary). I was in Australia on a business trip when I did that cache.

I met a couple at the CREW event here in Waterloo tonight that had an FTF in New Zealand after a 45km hike in! Apparently they are still the only finders. I think they wer eliving here at the time so that has to be some sort of record!!

wow and I thought my 179 km was a good distance..

and there are still several caches nearby without a find mostly hidden by Pushkin in Nova Scotia...

come and get em

It does?? I think it says I live in Canada (Calgary). I was in Australia on a business trip when I did that cache.

Very cool! I must have misread your profile. That's a heck of a long distance business trip...I am growing less fond of flying as the years go by.

and there are still several caches nearby without a find mostly hidden by Pushkin in Nova Scotia...

come and get em

I'll be there next summer...think they will wait till then? My wife is from Port Hawkesbury and we get out every 2 years. Got my brother in law into caching (lgmac) a few years ago and he caches out there a bit.

Well Mike you have us beat for sure, our furthest is only 744.1km, Hike to Sturdee Cove - Stage 5 - By The Creek. A lot of our FTF's are in the Marathon area and all hidden by jleecollins. He's got a bunch right now that we hope to grab on our bi-annual trip up to northern Ontario next summer. :ph34r:

There's another FTF question, what's the greatest time between publishing and FTF? Ours is 3 years minus 8 days, A Little Bit of Marathon History published Aug. 2, 2004, FTF July 25th, 2007!

Well Mike you have us beat for sure, our furthest is only 744.1km, Hike to Sturdee Cove - Stage 5 - By The Creek. A lot of our FTF's are in the Marathon area and all hidden by jleecollins. He's got a bunch right now that we hope to grab on our bi-annual trip up to northern Ontario next summer. :P

There's another FTF question, what's the greatest time between publishing and FTF? Ours is 3 years minus 8 days, A Little Bit of Marathon History published Aug. 2, 2004, FTF July 25th, 2007!

Great question Irene. I know that Dolfun (I think that was her name) mentioned last week at the CREW event that they had an FTF on a 45km hike in New Zealand a few years ago and they are still the only finders. Not sure how long it was published before that.

Feel free to be the FTF on my cache in Nunavut.

That would be a cool one to do! We don't think we could convince the kids to do a summer vacation up there. It may have to wait a few more years for us anyway. It looks like someone tried to find it already but had no luck.

Feel free to be the FTF on my cache in Nunavut.

Yeah, that would be super cool. How the heck do you get there though??

I am dying to find a way of getting to "As North As It Gets" but apart enlisting (last time I heard, the military wasn't looking for 40 year old overweight financial planners but heh, you never know) I can't figure out how to get there.

come and get em

Heh heh! Pushkin and his waterfalls! I got an FTF on Good Hunting Falls (GC13GMH) last summer, and was feeling really bad about leaving a travel bug there. But it finally was retrieved a couple of weeks ago.

So my furthest from home is only 134 km.

BTW, I'm hoping to get FTF on the Lochaber Valley Ribbon Lakes earthcache (GC160WK) over the Victoria Day weekend. I think that's slightly further from home for me. But is someone else gets it first, no hard feelings! ;)

Just curious, what is the farthest FTF from your home coordinates you ever logged?

We were on a cruise for ten days over the last few weeks and I was lucky enough to grab a cache in Dominica and was FTF on it...3,604km from home. Funnier still, I can now say I have done all of the caches in a country....Dominica has 2 :ph34r:

I just got back from a trip to Ontario and found my first FTF which was 2,640 km from my home coordinates, although it was 3,400 km when I drove here to Calgary.