iFinder vs. nuvi

I've had a Lowrance iFinder basic for about 3 years, can't seem to find squat with it. Just picked up a Garmin nuvi on a trip, had no intention of using it for caching. I tried it and was amazed to have MUCH better luck. Is it just the 4 years in tech increase or is the iFinder just not good.

I am a proud owner of a Garmin Nuvi 650, use it all the time and love it! I don't know the iFinder, but I know the Nuvi. I am new to geocaching and have found that my Nuvi is excellent to get me to the location, however I need something more once I reach GZ. I have purchased a beginner eTrex model from ebay which I received in the mail today. I am hoping that my team-up of my Nuvi and eTrex will point me in the exact direction (or somewhere pretty close) to the cache location. I will have to report back on the performance of my team!

Best of luck with your new Nuvi - hope you have as much luck with yours as I have with mine! :P

i-Finders are fine units, I used my Lowrance for years and found hundreds of caches with it. When I wanted a new unit I got a newer Lowrance. I can't rule out that your particular unit is not having issues, but i-Finders in general are great units IMHO.

The 4 year technology gap is noticeable. The new i-Finder outperforms my older Lowrance big time as far as signal acquisition and accuracy. Any GPS with a new chipset is going to be better than the units before it.

Another thing to consider is your personal taste in interface. You just may "click" with the Nuvi better. And that is what it all comes down to, the best unit for you is the one you understand, like, and are comfortable using.

i-Finders are fine units, I used my Lowrance for years and found hundreds of caches with it. When I wanted a new unit I got a newer Lowrance. I can't rule out that your particular unit is not having issues, but i-Finders in general are great units IMHO.

The 4 year technology gap is noticeable. The new i-Finder outperforms my older Lowrance big time as far as signal acquisition and accuracy. Any GPS with a new chipset is going to be better than the units before it.

Another thing to consider is your personal taste in interface. You just may "click" with the Nuvi better. And that is what it all comes down to, the best unit for you is the one you understand, like, and are comfortable using.

I'm findiing that the double unit use that globalrn talks about does also work for me. My iFinder works satisfactory when I'm actually reading the coords. It's when I'm trying to follow it's "path" that it seems to be junk..the dirrectional pointer just spins all the time, back and forth, as much as 180 from the truth. So I am learning to read the numbers and just know where I need to walk. Maybe this is a blessing , I'm learning, and that's always good....not just being pointed straight to the cache. This would work with the nivi but you have to refresh the page all the time to see the current coords. Thanks guys.