Please leave the churches for the waymarkers

Ironically, considering some of the comments above, last week the 100,000th waymark was added - by none other than Brentorboxer (who started this thread) with her "Prehistoric Complex Lakehead Hill, Dartmoor" (WM3J2Q).

She wants to watch out, publicising things like that. She'll have the modern antiquarians after her! :)

Edited for gender correction. How wrong of me to assume! Sorry.

Edited by NickPick

Ironically, considering some of the comments above, last week the 100,000th waymark was added - by none other than Brentorboxer (who started this thread) with her "Prehistoric Complex Lakehead Hill, Dartmoor" (WM3J2Q).

He wants to watch out, publicising things like that. He'll have the modern antiquarians after him! :)

Funny you should say that. I was thinking how the reaction to mentions of W..marking from some quarters remind me of the famous skirmish between geocachers and ModAnts a few years ago. Basically, people were made most unwelcome on their forum if they mentioned G..caching...

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Thats cool - well done Brentorboxer (one of my categories).

How did you find out that it was the 100,000th ?

There seems to be a presumption from some that the reaction was anti whatsiting.

My reaction to it is pretty well know, however on this thread my reaction was more to be being told that placing caches in the area around Churches was not appropriate.

Also being told that no way would they have permission when some clearly do!

There seems to be a presumption from some that the reaction was anti whatsiting.

Not a presumption from this particular wayocacher - I also replied to the first post in similar vein. But the OP seems to have abandoned the thread so we wandered off a little: I just happened to notice the OP's milestone and had to remark on it as it was related to the thread.

The only impassioned posts seemed to be from those remarking on the thread being "pointless". My "whingeing" remark was directed at them and nothing to do with whatsiting.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

As a waymarker I have entered hundreds of waymarks, I also reviewed hundreds of other people’s waymarks in various categories. To check the co-ordinates I use http://benchmarks.org.uk/map.php and http://www.flashearth.com/

Between these two sites you can get a good idea whether the co-ordinates are correct or not.

So now this technology is available to all, why do the reviewers allow caches in inappropriate places such as churches. In the past I have collected a cache under a seat in a church porch, a cache fixed to the back of a drainpipe on a church, and a cache in a parameter wall of a church, the latter is in the process of being moved to a more suitable site. I can not see any vicar/Church Council giving permission for a cache that close to a church.

If you must go into an area around a church you would be very welcome to waymark it instead of planting a cache!!

Not against Waymarking - though do prefer physical caches - as far as Church linked caches - I have recently found over 150 of the 200+ Church micro's that have sprung up in the South East of England - all of these require you to go to the area of the church in question however the micro caches themselves will mainly be found well outside the boundaries of the church. That said a fair few are multis or puzzle caches which require you to visit the church and hunt round for clues. In doing this you do get to see many splendid buildings, some over 900 years old in settings which leave you breathless. I have enjoyed every one of the 153 that i have found (I also thoroughly enjoyed setting the 15 that I own too)

An interesting comment from one minister that I spoke to was this - "I am more than happy for people to come and have a look round and spend time in the grounds of the church - it helps with the security of the church, particularly as we have recently had a spate of damage and theft, and so any presence by geocachers will help deter this activity" (This particular minister had found a cache of mine, which was outside the grounds of the church, during some major renovation of the front part of the grounds - having completed the work , he replaced the cache in what became a more suitable place and covered it with rocks) - I can also add that in my line of work I have knowledge that these sorts of places are being targetted more and more by vandals and thieves and so any 'presence' by visiting members of public are welcomed as this does act as a deterent.

Anyhow, caches at churches - YES