Problem decoding hints

Bunganator

I am experienceing trouble when trying to decode the hints online. When I click on "decrypt,"the page is refreshed and under "Additional Hints" is the exact same wording in the long description above it. I know I could do it by hand or not use hints at all, and it could be my browser (IE), but I was wondering if others are having this problem.

We have similar problems since last evening on two independent computers which were switched off all day. Yesterday morning we checked some caches and all was OK. In the evening we did the same and everything was screwed up. Basic info about the cache was repeated under "Additional hints", unencrypted. The real clues were missing. If we then encrypted the text, the proper clues emerged and if we then unencrypted the page became normal. We've spent about 12 hours, with help from SidandBob trying to solve it but have now arrived back at square one.

Our problem only arises when we double-click the ICON in Memory Map. If we double click a cache in GSAK the correct page occurs. We are led to believe that the problem arises between GSAK and MM... but nothing was changed before the problem arose on both PCs...

Edited by Birders

We still have the problem.. Viewing cache pages via Memory Map brings up two lots of "basic info" - seconf lot under where the clue should be. Encypting and then decrypting returns things to normal. This problem only occurs when using Memory Map...

I saw the same issue yesterday on my blackberry. I thought it was an issue decrypting using a mobile web browser but I was in th efiled and needed to use the hint and so I had no choice.

It just happened to me again on my lpatop at home. The weird thing is that I returned to the exact same cache page again just a minute or two later and when I clicked on decrypt everything worked fine. I am using IE 7.0 on Windows 2000.

Correct... what we get is this:

____

In 1970 local people formed a society to reclaim Swelling Hill Pond, which has been in existence since at least the mid 19th Century and had become silted up. The restored pond occupies a secluded spot on high ground and provides a tranquil habitat for it’s abundant wildlife, walkers and the Angling Society.

The pond is near the school. In the spring it is very nice because all the waterlilies flower. The pond is suitable for fishing as there are carp and goldfish but you need to be a member of the Four Marks angling club to fish there.

Additional Hints ( Encrypt )

In 1970 local people formed a society to reclaim Swelling Hill Pond, which has been in existence since at least the mid 19th Century and had become silted up. The restored pond occupies a secluded spot on high ground and provides a tranquil habitat for it’s abundant wildlife, walkers and the Angling Society.

The pond is near the school. In the spring it is very nice because all the waterlilies flower. The pond is suitable for fishing as there are carp and goldfish but you need to be a member of the Four Marks angling club to fish there.

_____

If we now click "Encrypt" the text changes to the correct encrypted clue. If we then click "Decrypt" we get the correct information. OK that you believe it to be the fault of GC.COM, but with us it only happens with Memory Map when we use it on any of 3 PCs and a PDA. If we access the pages by any other method they are OK.

So, are you guys saying that if you click this link you don't see the hint displayed as the description?

If you do then this bug needs resolving by GC.com

Yep, just like Birders said, mine looks axactly the same:

Additional Hints ( Encrypt )

I also see this when double clicking any cache icon in Memory Map. As it happens I actually prefer it, as previously it showed the decrypted clue which I then had to encrypt before I accidentally read it, as I like to cache not knowing the hint.

That is what I see also . . . Perhaps the cache owner made an error when they created the cache page . . . :unsure:

I haven't seen that on any of the other cache pages I have looked at lately.

If you look at the address in your browser (after clicking the above link) you will see &decrypt=y. If you remove this and resubmit the request the listing will appear properly. i.e. this is OK.

You can recreate this for any listing by changing the guid (global unique identifier - a means of identifying each cache).

How do we bring this to GC.com support attention to get it fixed?

OK SidandBob, but we wonder where is that URL generated? If we double-click from GSAK we get the URL we've already mentioned to you and which works. It's only double-clicking in MM which produces that long URL with the "decrypt" script. If we could somehow correct that script to the script from GSAK the problem would be solved..

OK SidandBob, but we wonder where is that URL generated? If we double-click from GSAK we get the URL we've already mentioned to you and which works. It's only double-clicking in MM which produces that long URL with the "decrypt" script. If we could somehow correct that script to the script from GSAK the problem would be solved..

The two links are defined independantly within GSAK.

The link used when you double click a cache in GSAK is defined in Tools->Options HTML tab. Look for Geocaching.com entry. It won't have the &decrpyt=y.

The link created for Memory Map is user defined in your export. This may well be a macro, but it is something you have defined, whether you've used someone else's macro or done it yourself, so it is not an issue with GSAK. This export defines how the link within Memory Map should work. In your case it tells MM to pass the browser a link with the decrypt parameter.

We have proved this is nothing to do with Memory Map by cutting the link above from the Linked File and pasting it into a browser. This causes the same issue. Memory Map is only doing what the GSAK user defined export is telling it to do.

If you don't know how to edit your export process then you need to seek support from where ever you got it.

Again, the best route would be to get GC.com to fix the root cause. Otherwise you're fixing the symptoms, not the cause.

This is not just a problem with links from other tools. The "&decrypt=y" parameter is used by geocaching.com pages directly for encrypted log entries. For example, look at this cache page, scroll down to the July 3 2006 log, and click on its decrypt link. In the result, the additional hints are replaced by the long description. This prevents us from printing a cache page with both the hints and the log entries decrypted.

This features was working fine as late as Thursday, so it's a new regression.

SidAndBob.. Thanks for your continued efforts. We will leave things "as is" to see if GC put things right.. The system we use was obtained from another UK cacher so we imagine he wrote the script. It has always worked perfectly until a few days ago.

Found an interesting bug.

Go to a cache page, any cache page that has an encrypted log in the found column. If you decrypt a encrypted log, the encrypted hints disappear and are replaced with a duplicate of the Long Description.

The description, pictures, and links are all doubled on the page.

Go ahead give it a try... I've never seen anything like it.

Interesting. That certainly is a very odd bug that was introduced. I will make sure this is addressed soon. Thank you for pointing it out!

Interesting. That certainly is a very odd bug that was introduced. I will make sure this is addressed soon. Thank you for pointing it out!

I discovered this on Sunday evening out in the field on my BlackBerry Called a friend at home and he was able to see it right on a PC and gave us the hint. Not exactly convenient! I have not personally observed the problem on a PC.

Jim - K6CCC

I just came to the forums to report the same problem. Appending &decrypt=y to the cache URL repeats the long description as the hint. I hope this gets fixed.

Us too - we came to the forum with the same issue

I am experienceing trouble when trying to decode the hints online. When I click on "decrypt,"the page is refreshed and under "Additional Hints" is the exact same wording in the long description above it. I know I could do it by hand or not use hints at all, and it could be my browser (IE), but I was wondering if others are having this problem.

The same is happening to me now - the decrypted hint appears for a fraction of a second and is replaced with a repeat of the long description. Very cumbersome and annoying yes

... When I go to the printer friendly page (which I don't care for BTW) the decrypt feature works properly??

Was coming here to see if it was just me. It happens on some caches while not on others. I'm using FF 2 on XP. Happens within the browser as well as within GSAK which uses the IE control, so it appears to have nothing to do with the browser (as others noted).

Clicking Encrypt shows the correct encrypted hint and hitting decrypt again shows the correct decrypted hint. Another temp workaround.

I also noticed this for the first time today. As far as I am aware it was the first time I had looked at a hint using a new computer running Windows Vista Home Premium and IE7. The same hint shows up as normal on a machine running Windows XP Home and IE7.

Glad it's not just me!

MBF

I noticed, too, it was mostly my mobile browser and often more-so the case with multi-line or paragraph hints... sometimes the first paragraph/line would decode, but the rest would stay encoded. Glad to know they're working on it, at least.

The problem we were experiencing - cache pages not decoding properly when accessed via Memory Map - now seems to have been fixed.

Grateful thanks to those involved..

Mine seems to be working now too. Thanks to whoever was working to fix this.