Test "drove" a Triton 1500

Kit Fox

:laughing: A friend recently purchased the Triton 1500 and he asked if I could help him figure it out. After about an hour and half of tinkering with his GPS, i'm dead set against upgrading to a Triton.

The GPS had a few interesting features, but I won't buy one. Selecting a waypoint and creating a GOTO was so tedious that I actually got impatient. It seems like most functions require multiple, time consuming steps. I'm a bit torn on the stylus feature. Anyone figure out how to stop a GOTO to a geocache? It wasn't in the manual, and I tried numerous steps with no luck. The manual doesn't address clearing GOTOs.

Anyone figured out how to change the time on the unit?

We couldn't get the compass to calibrate either.

I'm not looking forward to replacing my 4 year old MeriGold when it dies. :D

Edited by Kit Fox

I was a long time Magellan owner (meridian platinum, sportrak pro, sportrak color, explorist 600) as well. I bought the triton 2000. I tried to love it, but couldn't, even with beta firmware on it (which did improve it some). Ended up returning it and bought a Colorado 400t, my first Garmin. I'm very happy with it.

Anyone figure out how to stop a GOTO to a geocache?

At the map screen, press the center metal button and then select cancel route.

Anyone figured out how to change the time on the unit?

It's done on the profile manager. At the map screen, press Menu/View/Profiles/(then which of the 3 you want to use)/page button with the screen that starts off with Backlight level, scroll down.... yea, it's a lot of steps

We couldn't get the compass to calibrate either.

There is no compass to calibrate on the 1500... Only the 500 and 2000 have a magnetic compass

As a Triton owner, I will agree this is the most complicated unit I've ever run across in the GPS unit by a mile. And the worst manual by a mile also.

:sad: A friend recently purchased the Triton 1500 and he asked if I could help him figure it out. After about an hour and half of tinkering with his GPS, i'm dead set against upgrading to a Triton.

I'm not looking forward to replacing my 4 year old MeriGold when it dies. :D

Get an eXplorist 600 for cheap. Basically a smaller, color meridian with USB and SD card. I still love this thing, but have to tote around my Palm too...

As a Triton owner, I will agree this is the most complicated unit I've ever run across in the GPS unit by a mile. And the worst manual by a mile also.

Ironic, considering Magellan says you don't need a Ph.D. to run a Triton:

Amazing ease-of-use - Reinventing handheld GPS™, simple menus, instant access buttons, intuitive keypad and crystal clear graphics let you navigate without the need for a Ph.D.