Jukebox coin with minting error anyone?

kdv

A while back I bought a couple of Jukebox coins, some of which I traded away. I hadn't examined the coins closely and one of the persons that received the coin from me, noticed that a small element of the coin did not have the right paint applied to it:

Jukebox-1.jpg

(picture edited only to mask tracking # - the bar between the 2 yellow bars on the right should be blue, just like the corresponding bar on the left)

After this trader had let me know about this (and after getting back from a trip abroad), I contacted the company that sells this coin, explaining the situation and showing them the above picture. Their position was that the defect it could have happened during transport from me to this trader, and that they were not so sure that it was a production flaw. After several mails back and forth (mostly forth, since not all my mails received an answer), they offered to substitute the coin with a flawless one if the person I traded with sent them the coin and paid for postage both ways. In a mail to me they sort of implied that they didn't really buy the trader's story. I shared my correspondence with this trader and of course they weren't happy with it. And neither was I. Anyway, to make a long story slightly shorter, the company even retracted their 'generous offer' to substitute the coin (after the trader had let them know that they were not happy with the innuendo), and would deal only with the original purchaser of the coin. This would mean that the trader would have to ship the coin from the US to me in Italy, and then I would have to send the coin back to the US to the company, and then (maybe?) they would send a correct coin to me, which then I would have to send to the trader again. The trader and I conferred and we decided to decline this kind offer.

In their last mail the company claims that there are people prepared to pay big bucks for such an exclusive, unique coin. So....anyone? Big bucks are always welcome, and any other type of coin trade will be take in consideration too :laughing:

Again, I would also really like to know what you think of the way this issue haas been handled, both by me (I didn't noticed the flaw when the coin was first delivered to me) and by the coin company.

Katja

Edited by kdv

Your post made go and check my Jukeboxes to see if they have the same flaw. They don't. So I'm wondering if yours is from a different batch that are flawed or if the coin was indeed damaged in transit.... you know what they say about the Italian postal service!!!

As far as your dilema of what to do about this .... I don't have the foggiest. The jukebox is still available for sale so a new one can be bought by your trader. You could offer to trade it back for another coin if you feel you are indeed responsible for a flaw you didn't even notice (I don't think anyone would unless they were really looking). Or you could all just live with it.

On the bright side the US dollar is so weak you're probably buying US coins at a discount. I went to order 5 coins from Germany the other day and after shipping they were going to cost $20 apiece!! It's almost cheaper buying EU coins on Ebay!! But I digress.

You may want to alter the pic and remove the tracking #. EDIT: Oopah, already done.

Edited by Droo

While I doubt the value of an error coin in the way of geocoin standards... I do know that I've received a few over time with small errors like these. My solution has been to set them loose to travel and try to buy or trade another "perfect" one for the collection :laughing:

Back OT though, I'd say if you bought it directly from the coin company then they're responsible for replacing it. If you traded or bought it from an individual they should offer to return your money and pay for shipping as well. In your case where you sold the coin, you are responsible for the condition of the coin and subsequently any damage it takes during shipping (as long as you packed it properly) matching the description of the coin you were selling at the time the agreement to buy was set.

Personally I'd offer to return the money and postage (in return for the coin) if they're unhappy with their purchase of their coin. It can't hurt to have a good reputation for future sales and trades :D

<snip>

In your case where you sold the coin, you are responsible for the condition of the coin and subsequently any damage it takes during shipping (as long as you packed it properly) matching the description of the coin you were selling at the time the agreement to buy was set.

Personally I'd offer to return the money and postage (in return for the coin) if they're unhappy with their purchase of their coin. It can't hurt to have a good reputation for future sales and trades :laughing:

I didn't sell the coin, I traded it for another coin. There is absolutely no issue between me and the trader who received the flawed coin (we have worked out things between us). We were just both a bit surprised (to put it mildly) to see how the coin company handled their customer service. But apparently they are not the only ones to think that an error like this could have happened during transport (but wouldn't there have to be some remains of the paint in the coin flip or something?) Sorry, but to me the only explanation remains a production flaw. Although, if it wasn't the lousy Italian postal service, maybe the Sicilian mafia had something to do with it...

I had a coin where the tracking number came off on the coin flip - the tracking number

wasn't engraved. Luckily, that site replaced the coin - at their expense both ways..

Not really knowing much about making a coin, but if the tracking number could come off on a coin flip I could believe some of the colored enamel (is that the right term?) could also come off in that way.

I had a coin where the tracking number came off on the coin flip - the tracking number

wasn't engraved. Luckily, that site replaced the coin - at their expense both ways..

Not really knowing much about making a coin, but if the tracking number could come off on a coin flip I could believe some of the colored enamel (is that the right term?) could also come off in that way.

I could understand some paint rubbing off during shipping, but in the case of this coin there is no blue paint in this area at all. The recessed area for the blue paint is completely empty.

I could understand some paint rubbing off during shipping, but in the case of this coin there is no blue paint in this area at all. The recessed area for the blue paint is completely empty.

And by the way, if the paint were to come off so easily, would that not really be a production flaw also?

I am going to chime in here. I am the person that received this coin from Katja. I had a coin she wanted so I chose this coin from her trader list to use as a Mission coin. I did not want this coin for my personal collection. Due to the coin having this defect I would not be at all comfortable sending it to anyone as part of a mission. First I want to say that I am not upset with Katja for not checking the coin before she mailed it to me, as we all know things happen. I am usually very careful with checking the coins I buy, but I myself, received an order of coins while I was in the middle of doing my business federal tax return and I sent the traders on their way without taking the time to check them closely. Katja and I are both upset at how the company selling this coin has chosen not to stand behind their product. After reading several emails between Katja and this company I sent them a very matter-of-fact email this morning. I gave them the history and time line of our trade involving this coin so they would understand that I notified her of the problem on the same day I received the coin back on March 18th. I was willing to use this coin as a FTF prize when I place a cache, but after all of the back and forth emails with this company, for myself and Katja, it became less about the coin and more about the principle of the situation and how it was being handled.

First, in the email I gave my opinion of how I think the error occurred, which is that the enamel was never applied to this area during production. Which would be a manufacture defect.

Then I gave my opinion on his idea that the enamel fell out during shipping. Well, if that were the case, the paint chip would have been in the coin flip which it was not. It also would mean that the enamel did not properly adhere to the metal during the manufacturing process, which would also be a manufacture defect. There was no other damage to this coin, the coin flip or the package it was mailed in.

I pointed out that the only way it was not a manufacture defect would be if I had taken the coin out of the mailer, gouged out the enamel with a knife (all while not scratching up the metal under the enamel) and then emailed Katja that is was defective. I then asked him to what benefit for myself does he think I would have done such a thing.

If I had mailed this coin back to Katja, she would have sent it to them and they would have replaced it, end of story. But because it was already in the US she asked them to let me ship it to them and for them to send me the replacement directly. Her goal was to save all of us the extra cost of shipping this coin all over the place. But they in turn are using the fact that it was traded to not stand behind the coin. Trading the coin did not make the paint jump off the coin.

How sad they are being so petty, it would have been worth their while to replace the coin "as a gesture of goodwill".

Suggesting that either of you have done something is not a way to instill confidence in customers!

Whatever happened to customer service? :laughing:

I agree 100%. I told him in the email this morning I could understand his position IF we were talking about scratches, dents, or something we could have done to the coin. But I did not appreciate the innuendo that I had caused the removal of the paint from this coin. I told him it is not a tug-of-war between us, it is about doing the right thing.

Edited by kehunt64

How sad they are being so petty, it would have been worth their while to replace the coin "as a gesture of goodwill".

Suggesting that either of you have done something is not a way to instill confidence in customers!

Whatever happened to customer service? :laughing:

I agree 100%. I told him in the email this morning I could understand his position IF we were talking about scratches, dents, or something we could have done to the coin. But I did not appreciate the innuendo that I had caused the removal of the paint from this coin. I told him it is not a tug-of-war between us, it is about doing the right thing.

I totally agree - customer service is paramount! - and how you've been treated is no way to conduct business! (I've just gone through a similar bad experience with having a fireplace installed - badly - and the plumber has been trying to tell us we were just nitpicking. 1 year, 2 reports and 4 disputes court sessions later he still doesn't readily accept he is at fault :laughing:)

On the other hand - I've just had a similar geocoin experience with one of the other coin stores/vendors where the coin actually had a number of, what looked like, tool marks on the face/rim of it. I reported this to that store and they have replaced it - no questions asked. Now that's customer service! - C&P you guys are awesome!!

I'll definitely be spending my money with this store again :laughing:

I hope that you guys ultimately get a similar outcome. Good luck.

<snip>

I reported this to that store and they have replaced it - no questions asked. Now that's customer service! - C&P you guys are awesome!!

I don't think so (neither with regard to getting the coin replaced without first making it cross the ocean several times at our expense, nor with regard to spending my money with this store again). But let's say it's been a good learning experience :laughing:

edited to correct typo

Edited by kdv

<snip>

I reported this to that store and they have replaced it - no questions asked. Now that's customer service! - C&P you guys are awesome!!

I don't think so (neither with regard to getting the coin replace without first making it cross the ocean several times at our expense, nor with regard to spending my money with this store again). But let's say it's been a good learning experience :laughing:

Well, I can only form my opinion from what has been posted here, but I find this to be bad business practice! I would like to see the company come in and give an explanation though!!

Kinda makes the other coins in the store inventory look bad...and one is MINE! Some thought should be put into how this looks to those who MIGHT want to do business with this company? One coin isn't worth bad blood with the customers, replacing the coin would have been the right thing. Would have looked much better to all concerned...and to all potential new customers!

But, I would like to hear from the company....