Magellan Meridian Gold & SD Cards

I just bought a used Magellan Meridian Gold through eBay. It'll be here in a couple days, and I had a question or two before it arrives.

Will I even have to sync with the cable if I use SD cards?

Will it use any SD card? Size restrictions?

Also when I get it if it doesn't have the latest firmware, how can I get it if the GPS has already been registered with Magellan? I tried to download the firmware ahead of time, but the Magellan website won't let me until I register the unit.

This is our first handheld GPS as we are just getting into caching. Actually we just discovered it a few months ago.

Thanks!

Edited by paulley

I do not remember the size limitation, but you can load maps by putting the SD card in your computer. I was never able to use the cable method. There are a lot of folks here with the Meridian Gold, and I am sure they will chime in.

Welcome to the forums

I just bought a used Magellan Meridian Gold through eBay. It'll be here in a couple days, and I had a question or two before it arrives.

Also when I get it if it doesn't have the latest firmware, how can I get it if the GPS has already been registered with Magellan? I tried to download the firmware ahead of time, but the Magellan website won't let me until I register the unit.

This is our first handheld GPS as we are just getting into caching. Actually we just discovered it a few months ago.

Thanks!

Meridian FAQ

I've used a Meridian Gold for 4 years now. I transfer Mapsend Topo Maps, and transfer bulk waypoints (using Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), from my computer to an SD card. I'm unsure as to what the maximum size of SD cards are. I've used a 256mb card for the past four years, and i've never exceeded its maximum capacity.

Thanks!

The information that came with our Magellan Meridian Gold said that the maximum size SD Card it would use was 64 MB...you can use a larger card, but it will not be used beyond the 64 MB. We couldn't find a 64 MB card anywhere, so we got a 128 MB when we bought the Mapsend Software for the street level maps. It works well and we can load maps including lower Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee without overloading the 64 MB limit. We got it off the shelf at WalMart for $20.

We have never tried to use the SD card for loading Geocaches, and have always used the on board memory for that - 500 caches (waypoints) is supposed to be the maximum allowed. Once you get the unit, the serial number should allow you to obtain the information that you need from Magellan, though you may have to contact their customer service department to get set up as the new owner & get it registered in your name with them (if they will allow that).

The cable that came with our Meridian Gold was a serial cable...if you have an older computer that has an open serial port you can hook it up and leave it attached to the computer (we recommend GSAK for organizing and transferring the waypoints to the GPSR). Or you can utilize your USB ports by getting a USB to Serial Adapter. We use a Belkin F5U409 adapter and it works very well with the Magellan. We found it at a Staples Office Supply store.

Ron & Lois - "Bead Masters"

Lawton, MI 49065

Edited by Ron & Lois

With only 2.09, you'll definately want to upgrade the firmware even though you will lose WAAS. The latest firmware for my Meridian Color and Meridian Marine are 5.40. The Meridian Yahoo groups should have all of the latest firmware downloads for your unit.

JetSkier

Edited by JetSkier